Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So we all know there's a striker incoming - Who ?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Heaven forbid we should ever sign a smart young UK based striker for the going rate. Let's just keep this gormless fantasy going whereby we unearth some hidden gem from somewhere unlikely somewhere on planet earth and sign them up for peanuts. Truth is, it's not 1958 anymore, any kiddie with any degree of talent will have been on-radar everywhere since about age 8

Spot on. We have two realistic routes to getting a striker, develop a youngster very well, e.g. Conolly, but a Championship player, e.g. Maupay or spend big on a known and proven goalscorer. Given the latter is £40-50m and top half of the Premier League would also be interested it is very clear why this is proving very hard.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we don't get the striker everyone expects but instead we get a youngster to ensure we have the numbers up front.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ffs. Wetters. You mean the realists who recognise our striker squad gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The club has had a 'striker gap' for 7 freakin seasons, why should this one be any different?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Grant at Huddersfield would be great. Good age, tidy finisher, looked great in his short time in the Prem, 22, no doubt a decent price.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Let's just keep this gormless fantasy going whereby we unearth some hidden gem from somewhere unlikely somewhere on planet earth and sign them up for peanuts.

But...but...but...we could miss out on the Fijian Messi this way???

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Genuinely surprised the club hasn't tapped into the BURGEONING South East Asian Shirt Sales market yet. Young Lee Steele anyone?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Heaven forbid we should ever sign a smart young UK based striker for the going rate. Let's just keep this gormless fantasy going whereby we unearth some hidden gem from somewhere unlikely somewhere on planet earth and sign them up for peanuts. Truth is, it's not 1958 anymore, any kiddie with any degree of talent will have been on-radar everywhere since about age 8

COmpletely agree, except the really good kids tend to get picked up a bit earlier these days.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I personally think we're 1 striker short. The last thing we want to do is rush that signing.

I agree, it's just I'm surprised we agreed to Murray being loaned out, whilst we had not signed a replacement.
I'm sure Watford would have been happy to wait a few more weeks.

We will most probably start the season without any back up strikers.
An injury to Maupay or Connolly and we run the risk of selling clubs inflating the fees for potential signings.

Doesn't really feel like we have played this position very well.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
COmpletely agree, except the really good kids tend to get picked up a bit earlier these days.

I agree too but this still proves how under the radar Murray was. Even the Carlisle fans didn't think much of him! In fact I remember some of our own fans writing him off back during the Withdean years.
Turned out he was a top flight standard player and one we would love to have if he was back to his peak days again.
Surely there's one out there no one has really seen yet?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

[MENTION=99]@b.w.2. , I really owe you an apology.

I’ve always thought bw2 stood for bedwetter too, again, my sincere apologies.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

The fast majority realise that we need a striker but with a month left in the window we aren’t shitting our pants. You seem to running around shouting ‘fire’!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

I bet you were fun on Christmas Eve as a kid? " has Father Christmas been yet" No go back to bed. " I can't I've wet it"

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I agree, it's just I'm surprised we agreed to Murray being loaned out, whilst we had not signed a replacement.
I'm sure Watford would have been happy to wait a few more weeks.

We will most probably start the season without any back up strikers.
An injury to Maupay or Connolly and we run the risk of selling clubs inflating the fees for potential signings.

Doesn't really feel like we have played this position very well.

I'm sure we would have done but if such a faithful servant of the club asked to have some final seasons playing first team football, we'd have to be a pretty cold hard nose club to force him to see his career out from the bench.

Gyokeres maybe done enough to be in Potter's plans this season?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm sure we would have done but if such a faithful servant of the club asked to have some final seasons playing first team football, we'd have to be a pretty cold hard nose club to force him to see his career out from the bench.

Yeah I agree - I'm just surprised that there was a rush.

As yet Watford haven't lost any of their strikers ( as far as I'm aware).
Would have thought they could have waited until we were better placed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yeah I agree - I'm just surprised that there was a rush.

As yet Watford haven't lost any of their strikers ( as far as I'm aware).
Would have thought they could have waited until we were better placed.

True, and you would think he's got no guarantees of first team football there either.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Think his name was mentioned by someone else earlier in the thread. Can see Karlan Grant ending up at 'bottom 10' club before the window closes. He's quick, 6'1, only 22 and similar to Nunez in many respects. 20 goals in a struggling Huddersfield team is a good return.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32x0usYyqf4

It wouldn't surprise me if he was on the list of possibilities.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Didn't feature in either friendly, so it's taking a punt

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here