Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So we all know there's a striker incoming - Who ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hang on a moment! What on EARTH, is this???

Giroud at the 2018 World Cup:

Group matches:
v Australia, came on as sub.
v Peru, started
v Denmark, started

Rd of 16, v Argentina, started

QF, v Uruguay, started

SF, v Belgium, started

F, v Croatia, started.

Giroud was absolutely pivotal to how they set up at the World Cup, and played literally every game. I think you might have got that a tiny bit wrong.

World Cup winner Giroud ends tournament without shot on target. World Cup winner Olivier Giroud has ended his campaign without a single shot on target in 546 minutes of action. The Chelsea striker played 81 minutes of Les Bleus' thrilling 4-2 final win over Croatia on Sunday where his woes in front of goal continued.

As said you or me could have played up front for France and still got a winners medal.
Obviously I'd have been offside more times than Murray, in his entire career, but we'd have worked something out!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I've still got a feeling Hulk is our (secret) man. All the other stuff is a mere wispy smokescreen of yore... hear the people roar, as Hulk scores four... etc. and so on.

If I'm wrong, I'll eat my pointy Ritchie Blackmore hat (again.)

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I've still got a feeling Hulk is our (secret) man. All the other stuff is a mere wispy smokescreen of yore... hear the people roar, as Hulk scores four... etc. and so on.

If I'm wrong, I'll eat my pointy Ritchie Blackmore hat (again.)

That's an incredible suggestion. Worthy of a ban...?*

* ner, Bruce

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Much to my surprise I have seen us buy a perma injured 'elderly' top 6 squad player on a long contract with a high wage.

#TheWestHamWay.

If this is a coy way of saying that you're not keen on the signing of Lallana, it reminds you of Jack Wilshere and thus Brighton's transfer activity is similar to West Ham.
Then thats quite a leap. A ridiculous leap.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Movember-Owen-big.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
World Cup winner Giroud ends tournament without shot on target. World Cup winner Olivier Giroud has ended his campaign without a single shot on target in 546 minutes of action. The Chelsea striker played 81 minutes of Les Bleus' thrilling 4-2 final win over Croatia on Sunday where his woes in front of goal continued.

As said you or me could have played up front for France and still got a winners medal.
Obviously I'd have been offside more times than Murray, in his entire career, but we'd have worked something out!

Yes, because teams regularly win the World Cup playing with 10 men every game :rolleyes:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Watching Finland beat Ireland yesterday, Pukki looked far better than Connolly whose touch was poor.

He's only young and in the future I hope he will be great, but for now, in our situation, with the team we have, Pukki would be a better option. Even at 30.

I watched that game. I also watched Finland against Wales, and Ireland against Bulgaria.

Connolly looked far more threatening across the games, in my opinion - and unlike 30 year old Pukki, has plenty of improvement in him.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I watched that game. I also watched Finland against Wales, and Ireland against Bulgaria.

Connolly looked far more threatening across the games, in my opinion - and unlike 30 year old Pukki, has plenty of improvement in him.

And Connolly will get more and better service with us.......... thought Ireland were shit in both games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Despite playing as an inverted left winger (in the second half of the Finland game).

Sure he can do that job but not with his centre forward 20 yards away, the full back refusing to overlap and no Trossard/Mooy/Jocko/Gross type of player mixing it up.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Exactly.. Aaron’s at the start of his career. Looking up, and will improve under Potter. I have no doubt about that.

Pukki would be a good signing for a newly promoted side with no good prospects coming through. He’s a short term solution. Notably no other PL clubs appear to be interested either.

If we are going to get a guy in his last couple of seasons it should be a champion, a winner, a figurehead that can inspire our kids. Ie, a Lallana, yes a Giroud.

Not a relegated Norwich player. A downgrade version of Maupay.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Probably just a bit rusty, but his first touch in both games wasn't great.

But like I say, I'm not looking to replace him, just add some depth.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Probably just a bit rusty, but his first touch in both games wasn't great.

But like I say, I'm not looking to replace him, just add some depth.

If the choice was between going with what we have now, or what we have + pukki or dia or any of the other meh options touted. I'd still take the meh option versus nothing extra at all. I'd be gutted if the best we could muster was Pukki, but the need of an extra striker is massive.

Maupay looked lost on his own against WBA and is better in a pair, Connolly is young and inconsistent, either gets injured and we're in the shit.

Anything is better than just what we have, just hope it's something a damn site better than a 30yo Pukki

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
If the choice was between going with what we have now, or what we have + pukki or dia or any of the other meh options touted. I'd still take the meh option versus nothing extra at all. I'd be gutted if the best we could muster was Pukki, but the need of an extra striker is massive.

Maupay looked lost on his own against WBA and is better in a pair, Connolly is young and inconsistent, either gets injured and we're in the shit.

Anything is better than just what we have, just hope it's something a damn site better than a 30yo Pukki

Maupay getting injured is a seriously depressing thought. Let's be honest, we need two strikers.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Maupay getting injured is a seriously depressing thought. Let's be honest, we need two strikers.

Exactly this. Two strikers is a must but to be honest I can only see one coming in and that I think may be a panic signing, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How would you define a "panic" signing ?

That's a good point, we don't usually land our 'clock ticking' striker signing.
Instead preferring to push the manager out, the day after the window slams shut, holding what can only be a hostage note with the words:-

'I'm very happy with the 2.5 strikers I have and was never looking at new players coming in'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here