Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So the Argus says we are closing in on a new striker....

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Cox is not a bad shout given that we looked at him already. Gus is acquiring quite a reputation for not giving up on targets. WBA's Roman Bednar is also rumoured to have interested us.

I had wondered about Ebanks-Blake but his injury has put paid to any speculation in that quarter whether it was ever justified or not.

I can't really see us going overseas because the one thing we need is someone who can offer immediate presence not someone who will or might once they have settled and adapted. I know Calde is the exception but a reasonably traditional style "English" centre forward to put some muscle about and win the ball in the air (as long as they can also contribute on the deck) seems to be what is on the shopping list. If there is one of those on offer in Europe or South America I can't help thinking they would have been identified by other clubs and have a hefty price tag attached.

Jason Roberts is another who has been mentioned but he is currently starting at Blackburn so rule him out, and Ricardo Fuller at Stoke is also out as he won't be returning to training until October. I also saw Peter Crouch mentioned but Stoke want him and are prepared to pay a substantial fee and have european football to offer.

Just to throw another name into the melting pot and the complete antithesis to an experienced centre forward, is Spurs' debutant last night, Harry Kane. Only 18 but reminds me of Chris Wood but with more mobility - could just be the sort of player Gus might like to mould.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
We were quoted in the press as being in for Bednar a few weeks back. He would by my guess. While Gus will probably suprise us all I wouldn't be suprised to see the following being considered:

Frank Nouble at 6'3 also fits the bill and was highly regarded by Di Matteo and Brendan Rodgers who seem close to Gus.

Billy Paynter was a target last summer and seems to be well down the pecking order at Leeds and behind loanee Andy Keogh.

I also think Tamas Priskin from Ipswich would suit our style and he's another who fits the criteria Gus mentioned.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I still REALLY don't think we need one, unless Hoskins injury problems are likely to continue.
Gus says on Seagulls Player that he wants a striker and remains confident about getting him.

90% of the time, I'd say you were right though - not sure we really need another striker. However, there have been occasional times when we've been crying out for a striker able to control the ball under pressure with his back to goal, spray it wide to supporting wingers and get us moving again. This is where we will sorely miss Murray from time to time.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We were quoted in the press as being in for Bednar a few weeks back. He would by my guess. While Gus will probably suprise us all I wouldn't be suprised to see the following being considered:

Frank Nouble at 6'3 also fits the bill and was highly regarded by Di Matteo and Brendan Rodgers who seem close to Gus.

Billy Paynter was a target last summer and seems to be well down the pecking order at Leeds and behind loanee Andy Keogh.

I also think Tamas Priskin from Ipswich would suit our style and he's another who fits the criteria Gus mentioned.

Priskin not fit so seems doubtful although this article reminds me we were reportedly interested in Jason Scotland

TWTD.co.uk | Jewell: Exits Likely - Ipswich Town News

The list gets longer and longer...................................

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
I still REALLY don't think we need one, unless Hoskins injury problems are likely to continue.

3 Strikers really isnt enough. Regardless of whether Hoskings can overcome this niggling muscle injury. If any of them were to get suspended or injured for any amount of time theres no way we can compete with 2 fit strikers. What with cup games and the generally packed fixture list that comes in the Championship.

I honestly think 4 strikers is a must.

Geo

Oct 18, 2010
Heathfield
I along with everyone else in here will not have a clue who this might be. Interestingly though, seen interest by Watford in Andreas Weimann a 20 year old striker who was on loan on loan from Villa. Also an offer has been made for Sam Baldock from MK Dons which SKY have just reported has been turned down. Suggestions this was West Ham but then it could also have been us.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
3 Strikers really isnt enough. Regardless of whether Hoskings can overcome this niggling muscle injury. If any of them were to get suspended or injured for any amount of time theres no way we can compete with 2 fit strikers. What with cup games and the generally packed fixture list that comes in the Championship.

Agree with this. We currently have no out-and-out strikers on the bench. I know Buckley can probably play there but obviously he's not available either at the moment. We also need options for playing different types of team, different formations home and away etc...

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I along with everyone else in here will not have a clue who this might be. Interestingly though, seen interest by Watford in Andreas Weimann a 20 year old striker who was on loan on loan from Villa. Also an offer has been made for Sam Baldock from MK Dons which SKY have just reported has been turned down. Suggestions this was West Ham but then it could also have been us.

More likely Southampton me thinks!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Spot on

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
we must be considering a CB as well, if Greer was unavailable tomorrow what would Gus do? Cook and Dunk? Cracking potentinal for future years but not now? Striker will be great, but CB IMHO is a must.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Leeds fans hate Billy Painter with a passion. He hasn't done much up there. Having said that, I think they are looking for him to do things that he simply cant do. He will not score 20 goals (they should have bought Charlie Austin if that was the aim), but he does hold the ball up well.

So if it were, say holding onto a lead, then bringing on Billy Painter for the last 10 mins or so would be what he is good at.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Was'nt it nice that Gus said we were turning players away, Just an indication on how fast Our club is growing

I heard that Nasri is gutted, he really wanted to come to the Amex but Gus - No.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Leeds fans hate Billy Painter with a passion. He hasn't done much up there. Having said that, I think they are looking for him to do things that he simply cant do. He will not score 20 goals (they should have bought Charlie Austin if that was the aim), but he does hold the ball up well.

So if it were, say holding onto a lead, then bringing on Billy Painter for the last 10 mins or so would be what he is good at.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
everything's getting bigger and better at the albion......

....... and now we could have 6 foot cox

(can't believe we're at the end of page two and no-one's done this yet)

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
What about Bergkamp?

Rumours that he hasn't quite cut it in training, and possibly that he was a Stephenson signing not a Gus signing. I have no knowledge so no idea if this is true, but just passing on what has been said on here. Maybe he just needs some time to develop/settle in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here