Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So exactly where is all this money coming from?

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Think this way, Bloom invests all this money in the club which his family has a long history with, he drives it forward to a higher level. With the setup of club ownership and the new stadium it's a win win situation. Success will put the whole org. in the spotlight and if Bloom at anytime in the future wants to move on,the whole thing is a very attractive buy for the serious rich.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I think people also need to remember that the Amex will be generating an income for the club pretty much 365 days a year, not just on match days of which there are only roughly 25 home games a season. Not many other clubs in the country have stadiums with the earning potential of the Amex. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Amex pulls in around £5-10mil a year on non footballing days.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
yes, the source of wealth is murky, and normally one would be concerned. however, i am reassured byt the fact that Bloom has long standing family ties to the club and the Knight handed over the club to him?
No, one would not normally be concerned. You get concerned when u have a ground worth money, and someone buys the club for a few quid. Not when u have no ground and someone builds u one for 100 mil. I have confidence in Tony, but what's the worst that could happen if he went bust? What could creditors get from our ground? We don't even own the land do we, so they couldn't sell it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Bloom had £100m in liquid cash available to the club immediatly.

He's rich, very rich.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Is it all realative, say at the worst Tony is only worth £250 million pounds all from his middle east property porfollio.

If he spends £200 million on a stadium, players, manaagment & training facilities, he still has millions spare. The fact he appears to have a wage budget, realistic targets, said to be a great negotiaitor, and catch the train back from Nottingham by himself with the fans, shows he is not just a distant buisnessman trying to make money. He has to have more money than Madjeski and he made it work.

Say I earn 20K a year and take home £1,200. If I buy a 1901 ST for 1K and set up a DD for £100 a month, I could still spend £200 a game and live within my means depending on what my bill, mortgage, other live style spends are.

I believe Tony has made his money and is now spending it, no borrowing involved, managing it well and taking educated punts on investing for the future, as they say money often goes to money.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What persuades me that TB has even bigger resources than we think is that he has managed to stay off the Sunday Times Rich List - seriously wealthy people don't like their exact worth known. And I think some people are underestimating the boost in revenues that the new stadium is already providing. As we know, there is plenty of money in this area, which the Amex is allowing the club to tap into thanks to its facilities compared to those at Withdean. Look at the way the Silver and Bronze hospitality levels were abandoned when the demand for Platiumum and Gold became clear.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
If he spends £200 million on a stadium, players, manaagment & training facilities, he still has millions spare. The fact he appears to have a wage budget, realistic targets, said to be a great negotiaitor, and catch the train back from Nottingham by himself with the fans, shows he is not just a distant buisnessman trying to make money. He has to have more money than Madjeski and he made it work.
I for one would be quite happy if Bloom wantd to take the Madjeski approach - he built the stadium and gave the club a financial kick-start but then insisted that it should be self-financing from then on without over-stretching. I can understand the OP's concern as we have seen a number of other clubs who have had an 'investor' come in, splash the cash trying to reach the prem, fail and then walk away leaving the club with an unsustainable wage bill. Given Bloom's preference for privacy it's not easy to see where his own wealth comes from so that creates some concern in itself. However, as Trigaar says, a speculative investor would not chuck in 100M of their own money to fund the stadium on land they don't own. This alone givs me a lot of comfort

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i cant believe that somebody who is an astute businessman like tony bloom would be spending money he couldnt afford to recoup back

the one thing that does worry me is that, if this is all coming out of his personal fortune, what happens if he is not around to fund it anymore?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Based on what? Wishful thinking?

Generally when someone is THAT rich, there's atleast a small amount of evidence to back it up, NO ONE has found ANY regarding Bloom, most rich lists that have tried have put him around £50 million, a terrifyingly small amount for our current expenditure.

I pray the money is cash investment and not loans. if it is loans we are going to be screwed in the future. it it's cash we will be fine. It really is that simple.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4205759 said:
I think people also need to remember that the Amex will be generating an income for the club pretty much 365 days a year, not just on match days of which there are only roughly 25 home games a season. Not many other clubs in the country have stadiums with the earning potential of the Amex. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Amex pulls in around £5-10mil a year on non footballing days.

Considerably more I reckon. I wouldn't be surprised if the non-footballing revenue was higher than the footballing revenue by next year. It helps that it's in conference city aka Brighton.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
The stadium side of the business has everything going for it, from large to small conferances, to even really large meetings in the actual arena(nonfootball). It's even got a large carpark onsite(not available in the centre of Brighton).The ability to generate income outside of football is huge.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
just enjoy it..we can gone for years seeing other smaller teams have great teams/stadiums instead of us...
I love Mr Bloom & im on the Gus bus (sounds bit camp) but i dont care. I havent been this excited since the play off win in Cadiff

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Strikes me he is VERY wealthy. If he has been speculating in China, the earlier comment on £500 million could well be true as billions change hands each day in a very over heated market. Money makes money. However the club will be self financing from now on, of that I am sure.

Also, do you think somebody with say £200 million is going to sink £100+ million into a club and then spunk the rest on players over five to ten years.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The money for the stadium and I would imagine some of the initial transfer pot will come directly from Bloom himself. Future signings and wages will come from revenues generated by the football club.

At the moment Tony is protecting his investment by making sure that we have a squad which at the very worst will keep championship football at his new stadium.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here