Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So exactly where is all this money coming from?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Heard quite a good rumour that plans and contracts for another 7,000 seats for next summer have already been signed of by T.B.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Who knows exactly the scenario.

I gather that TB has effectively paid for the stadium which is however effectively owned by a trust (which presumably he owns) and the stadium is effectively interest free from the club's point of view, though there must be some contingency for repayments from TB's point of view.

The affairs of the club are therefore the significant part of this. Assuming that there is no ongoing debt (No idea), the club's trading account will include factors like the 'prize' for winning the League 1 Title (£2.5m I heard) and you need to take into account the revenue from ST sales and match day sales ( ie non STs and Away fans ) There will be Sponsorship and Television Rights and then there is the non footballing side of things, like the sale of merchandise (which, I suppose, would be especially good if there was a 'name' upon which fans might focus, oh hang on, HA HA). There is match day parking and match day catering and refreshments and the, as yet, unknown revenue stream which will emanate from non match day catering but which, it is fair to say, and looking at already arranged events is set to grow and grow. Again, and on the other side of the coin, the Albion has probably entered the realms of large employer in the city and the wage bill, leaving aside the playing staff, will be not insubstantial.

Looking at our activity in the transfer market, it appears we have expended £5m but, in my understanding, we have recouped £1.5m (though there are all sorts of pecularities like buy ons and no doubt sell ons)

Now I have absolutely no idea where those things, and I have probably overlooked others, will leave us so get your brain around some of these facts and apologies for errors and ommisions and perhaps you will be better able than I am to come up with our likely player budget.

Last edited:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Sorry, forgot to say that therefore I do not find it so incredible that we may well spend further perhaps not inconsiderable amounts on new players.

the munch

Jul 1, 2011
does it really matter???? bliiiiiiiiiiiiimey we ain't got money people moan, we got money people are moaning and worried??? lol enjoy it the good times are well and truely round the corner.....LETS GET READY TO RUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMBLEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Well Bloom has made most of his money in property in the southern hemisphere. I know a lot of people in the poker world, some of which know him well and when he first took over the club people were talking about him being worth 600m. That was a while ago now.

He hasnt paid £90m for the stadium - lottery funds, FA grants etc add up to about £30m - but even if he has paid for the whole lot then he has just added a £90m stadium to his £600m property portfolio - not such a big deal when you think about it like that.

He is a shrewd businessman as many have said. He wants to add 10k more seats next year and Im sure his plan is to have a waiting list of around, err, 10k before he does that, minimum. so 10k seats at £500 average = £5m extra annual imcome...it starts to add up when you consider:

18500 current ST Holders (£9,250,000)
£2m for general ticket sales
£2.4m for 1901 seats
£1m for boxes
£2.5m TV rights

Thats over £20m annual income before you even think about non football related income which could easily double that.

I would be amazed if the playing budget ends up much more than £200k pw - thats only 10m per annum and could well be only 20% of our income. If he has to splash £10m on transfer fees to make that revenue possible then it makes complete sense.

So in conclusion, and to use poker terminology its hugely +EV for him.

And lets not forget - he loves the Albion - its in the blood.

All the above, and I thought the AMEX naming rights fetched in £20m immediately.

As for Blooms real wealth, no point trying to use the rich lists - these are massive guesses for many of the individuals. Particularly difficult where an individual has more than one residency and even more so when some of his wealth so far would have come from off-shore territories (where a lot of the world's gambling companies are now set up).

The intial figures above show that the albion have a lot of money to play with especially in the first year at the stadium - the other variable we dont know is at what pace Bloom wants to recoup his invetsment - he could for instance trouser the AMEX £20m now or he could say long term I will take X% of turnover each year all things being even... Who knows, but I have great faith in the man.

It does seem that it doesn't matter how much good news you give some Albion supporters they always have to moan and worry.

I was seriosuly PISSED off when post whores laughed at me for stating on here that I was told by a senior official that he could "pay off united'd debts". Trust me and look at the facts, Bloom has some serious money, not in the ilk of an Abrahmovic, but certainly enough to bankroll a Premier League push.

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
who cares hes our chairman and he loves the club

not like those f***ing chunts archer and belotti who should never step foot into brighton again!!!!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Can't you all just accept he has taken us to the next level and long may it continue.... The ground cannot be sold from under our feet ( part of the planning stipulation ) He loves the club and he most certainly wouldn't screw us.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Bloody hell Brighton fans eh?? I think collectively we are so damaged by the regimes of Archer and Bellotti that we can't believe what is happening now and have an almost 'its too good too be true' and 'whats the catch attitude'. I can see why we have but I think we have to forget about the past and look to the future.

As discussed / speculated TB obviously has (a) serious money (b) is an astute business man (c) is a genuine Albion fan and comes from a generation of Albion fans.

Combined with the fact the Amex has obviously generated massive revenue already and that we dont have to service a commercial loan to pay for it at say 15% p/a (a guess that as I have no idea what interest a huge commercial loan attracts) which would be 15 million pounds a year, we are in an amazing position.

We should therefore not be suspicous and have a 'where is the money coming from' attitude but instead embrace and trust the TB regime and not be suprised an obviously intelligent (off and on the pitch) footballer like CMS has chosen to play his football in a stunning new stadium in front of passionate and knowledgable fans (ok I'm biased but hey) ahead of 'bigger' teams like WHU and LC.

If we weren't spending money or were picking up 'bargains' NSC would be full of fans demanding 'Tony spend some money.' and declaring they 'are seriously worried about our prospects for next season.'

I have supported the Albion for 30 years and have never known a time like this (not even the signings of Richard Tiltman and Mark Farrington) come close. Lets just enjoy it, have faith in what we have been crying out for for years, an ambitious rich Albion supporting chairman and a state of the art stadium.......................and make some serious noise next season at our new stadium next season and forget the past and look ahead!!!!!

Look at it this way;
Would a good businessman who owned, for an example a winery, go out of his way to create an amazingly attractive bottle and lable for the wine - and then fill the bottles with his cheapest plonk?

The stadium is complete, it's a beauty and the tickets are selling nicely to put an audience in it.
What are they going to want served up?
How would we get top talents playing for us, if they see us as a weak squad?
How long would our own talent stay if they are not complimented for a winning ethic?
How long would our top manager stay if he didn't see his ambitions met by the club he's working at?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
have we just found the missing cup final millions?:moo:

It was invested in some dodgy Greek hedge fun the day after the final, and over the years has systematically syphoned off ALL of the Greeks money! We actually forced Greece into financial collapse...probably

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
the club's trading account will include factors like the 'prize' for winning the League 1 Title (£2.5m I heard)

I think the decimal points gone walkabout there mate - it was apparently £25k. Of course there will be other benefits like an increased share of TV revenues etc.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I know I am worrying and probably over nothing and i will enjoy the ride. However in the back of my mind is the idea that the reason Archer and Bellotti got involved in the club in the first place was from Bambers push for top division football and spending above our means to get there. I can't help thinking it is important to ask these questions considering the things we have gone through in the past. Not to mention Leeds, Newcastle, Rushden, Portsmouth, Forest, Wednesday, etc etc.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I know I am worrying and probably over nothing and i will enjoy the ride. However in the back of my mind is the idea that the reason Archer and Bellotti got involved in the club in the first place was from Bambers push for top division football and spending above our means to get there.

Bamber stood down in 1983 and was dead about 5 years later. The cancer of Archer and Bellotti began its insideous destruction of the club a good few years afterwards.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Bamber stood down in 1983 and was dead about 5 years later. The cancer of Archer and Bellotti began its insideous destruction of the club a good few years afterwards.

But didn't Bambers spending begin the problems that led to Archer and Bellotti's take over?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
the one thing that does worry me is that, if this is all coming out of his personal fortune, what happens if he is not around to fund it anymore?
He planned to leave the stadium to his kids I think. But say that can't happen for whatever reason - what's the worst that could happen? (see below)
I pray the money is cash investment and not loans. if it is loans we are going to be screwed in the future. it it's cash we will be fine. It really is that simple.
Well TB said it was cash, but let's play devils advocate...

say TB were to pass away (couldn't bring myself to actually say 'die' about our saviour), his family don't want it, long story short, we go bust, administrator comes in...
what can they do with our ground? The admisnistrator doesn't own the land to sell on. To an administrator looking to get cash, our ground would be worth most to the administrator as... a conference centre and football ground! A businessman may take it over with the aim to profit from the conference centre side of things, and allow the team to fail through lack of funding, but I'm not sure that would make them any more money than funding the team enough to do ok (bigger gates, sales, tv etc). I assume the worst would be to have a rubbish team in a nice stadium.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here