Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoking at the Amex

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
One thing i like about going to Notts County every now and then, is you can EITHER: Go to the end of the concourse and have a smoke where it is open aired OR They open the fire doors and let you outside to have a smoke, then come back in again afterwards.

As they did at the new den Tuesday night....

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Surely people can last 45 minutes? Anyway the more time people go without smoking the better in my view.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The club do lose out on a lot of revenue by not allowing re-entry to smokers. Our group of about eight adults, numbers vary game to game, are about 50/50 between smokers and non smokers. On matchdays we invariably meet up away from the Amex, might be The Swan, Lewes or Brighton, because of the smoking ban. 8 x 3 or 4 pints, plus food for us and 2 or 3 kids means the club miss out on about three hundred pounds plus on every game.

Multiply that by thousands of others and about 25 home games per season?
Sent from my wardrobe whilst watching Susannah Reid and Sian Williams enjoy a clam sandwich.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I am a smoker and just don't understand why there is nowhere we can smoke at the ground. Would it of been hard to designate us a small section when the stadium was designed to get our fix? I have seen a few people thrown out for smoking in the North stand i don't know if they have been banned or what. What do people think?

Because smoking is so last century, and chav. Not what we want at AMEX!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Because smoking is so last century, and chav. Not what we want at AMEX!

Full time smoking might be old hat, but social smoking still has its place in our wonderful society. A pint of Guinness and an oily rag - could you ask for more?

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
I think the stadium should also be alcohol free!:moo:

The by-product of these people with the smoking habit is to produce a smelly, noxious, toxic residue that is poisonous, which they then proceed to exhale over all those in the immediate vicinity.

The by-product of a few pints is to have the tendency to urinate, but do I stand on a table and piss over all those with a fag

:drink::drink::drink::drink:

Look what it did for Gaddafi he went for a drag earlier!!!!!

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
???oh and there i was thinking the by product of too much alcohol was pavements full of vomit, a&e departments full of damaged piss heads.
And the almost certainty of a ring side seat at the next punch up between two different stag party's.
have you ever been up early enough to see the state of the center of brighton at dawn on a sunday
shirly (sic) a few dog ends aint that bad

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Sod the smokers. You can't curb your habit for 2 hours? Get a grip.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Full time smoking might be old hat, but social smoking still has its place in our wonderful society. A pint of Guinness and an oily rag - could you ask for more?

Nothing more nostalgic and cozy than a good old fashioned pair of tar-ridden lungs, and a slow breathing or cancerous death.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
The club do lose out on a lot of revenue by not allowing re-entry to smokers. Our group of about eight adults, numbers vary game to game, are about 50/50 between smokers and non smokers. On matchdays we invariably meet up away from the Amex, might be The Swan, Lewes or Brighton, because of the smoking ban. 8 x 3 or 4 pints, plus food for us and 2 or 3 kids means the club miss out on about three hundred pounds plus on every game.

Multiply that by thousands of others and about 25 home games per season?
Sent from my wardrobe whilst watching Susannah Reid and Sian Williams enjoy a clam sandwich.

Are you seriously saying you don't go to home games because you can't have a fag? Madness.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A lot of smokers just won't fly long-distance. Plenty of income being lost by the airlines on account of that, I shouldn't wonder.

.. not really. Offset by the fact they don't have to pump 100% fresh air into the planes like they used to. They simply recycle 50%.

This saves airlines millions of pounds in fuel but makes it far more likely that you will pick up a virus - because they filters they use aren't perfect.

An aeroplane - the only place in the world where the air was actually cleaner when smoking was allowed.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I am a smoker and just don't understand why there is nowhere we can smoke at the ground. Would it of been hard to designate us a small section when the stadium was designed to get our fix? I have seen a few people thrown out for smoking in the North stand i don't know if they have been banned or what. What do people think?
I presume you mean 'would it HAVE been hard' - smokers eh?:facepalm:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Are you seriously saying you don't go to home games because you can't have a fag? Madness.

Read again sir. We go to the match but we spend our money elsewhere beforehand.

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
The by-product of these people with the smoking habit is to produce a smelly, noxious, toxic residue that is poisonous!

Do you drive? A vehicle spews out far more noxious and toxic fumes in a week than a smoker does in their entire lifetime!

I hope you're not being a complete hypocrit!

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Fair enough. Even if it were legal to smoke at the Amex, I think far more people would be put off spending substantial amounts of time and money there if people were smoking in the communal areas.

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Fair enough. Even if it were legal to smoke at the Amex, I think far more people would be put off spending substantial amounts of time and money there if people were smoking in the communal areas.

You, and many others, really don't get the issue here.

I have no interest whatsoever in smoking inside the stadium, be it in my seat or on the concourses. What I would like to be able to do is turn up at The Amex, swipe my card and go and have a pint, and half an hour or so later step outside again for a quick smoke. Once done I could then go back inside, have a pie and a pint and a chat with friends. Sometime before kick off, go back outside and have another puff, before taking my seat for the game etc etc etc.

The club have decided that this is not allowed, probably to simplify matchday routines for staff. What I am trying to point out is that at other grounds you are able to step outside for a smoke and then re-enter. The club are losing out on a lot of money.

If 3000 people do the same as our group of friends (spend about £20 plus each before the game) away from the ground because of the no smoking/re-entry policy, then the club are missing out on about £1.5 million per season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You, and many others, really don't get the issue here.

I have no interest whatsoever in smoking inside the stadium, be it in my seat or on the concourses. What I would like to be able to do is turn up at The Amex, swipe my card and go and have a pint, and half an hour or so later step outside again for a quick smoke. Once done I could then go back inside, have a pie and a pint and a chat with friends. Sometime before kick off, go back outside and have another puff, before taking my seat for the game etc etc etc. .

I think the problem is that you could step out for a fag taking a pocketful of swipe cards from mates inside the ground and hand them out to mates outside to get in??? Not so much an anti smoking stance by the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here