Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoking at the Amex

Oct 25, 2003
i'm a smoker and do struggle a bit....the urge to get puffing after the game is almost unbearable

i generally have to have one just before i enter the stadio and just after....then i don't get the urge to kill anybody

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
So did she sniff it instead

Yeah then got lost and ended up in there end, She was the one in the black clothes to our right, People thought she was going nuts she was actually just trying to get my attention! :p

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As far as I understand it, the legalities of the smoking law's application to football stadia are complex. Football stadia are only deemed 'indoors' if a certain percent of the roof is open, and/or a certain amount of permanent open spaces in the sides/walls (for example where the corners of stadia are missing) excluding windows and doors etc.

Due the variety of designs of football stadia there is no blanket rule or FA policy. Many clubs institute non-smoking policies just because it is the simplest way of dealing with it.

Regarding other clubs letting you out and back in, I believe the club's official policy has always been that they are not allowed to permit this. I don't know if it was an agreement with council, an FA directive that other clubs ignore, a law that other clubs ignore, or police advice that the club follow and say they're not allowed in an effort to avoid having to explain why they don't just ignore the police advice.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
One thing i like about going to Notts County every now and then, is you can EITHER: Go to the end of the concourse and have a smoke where it is open aired OR They open the fire doors and let you outside to have a smoke, then come back in again afterwards.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm rather liking the fact that above this text box, I'm now reading Ads By Google which include "Quit Smoking Facts", "Stop Smoking Tips", "Effects Smoking" and "Lung Cancer".

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I'm rather liking the fact that above this text box, I'm now reading Ads By Google which include "Quit Smoking Facts", "Stop Smoking Tips", "Effects Smoking" and "Lung Cancer".

Adverts for Lung Cancer?!? But yes very clever!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Now..."Smoking Lung Cancer", "Smoking Cigarettes", "Stop Smoking Health" and "Smoking Diseases".

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
could say exactly the same about beer

not really, beer is available to purchase at the ground, so natural you want one at HT. If beer wasn't available, unless you're an alcoholic, I doubt anybody would be that bothered that they can't get a pint for 2 hours.

all these cut backs and hard times, but if the average smoker gave up their 5 packs of 20 per week, they'd save about £1600.00 pa. Keeping in mind that you've paid tax & NI on your earnings, you've actually had to earn approx. £2200 to pay for the habit. And it's going to kill you. Eventually. Ouch....

Last edited:

shellsuit

Feb 5, 2009
Two and half hours (if you enter the ground well before kick off) without a cig and people moan really makes me wonder how people cope on a flight to the States or similar

well since you are wondering......personally i cope by getting absolutely twatted and getting very ratty,im sure its the early stages of air rage,if im ever sitting next to you on a long haul flight you can let me know

Oct 25, 2003
not really, beer is available to purchase at the ground, so natural you want one at HT. If beer wasn't available, unless you're an alcoholic, I doubt anybody would be that bothered that they can't get a pint for 2 hours.

all these cut backs and hard times, but if the average smoker gave up their 5 packs of 20 per week, they'd save about £1600.00 pa. Keeping in mind that you've paid tax & NI on your earnings, you've actually had to earn approx. £2200 to pay for the habit. And it's going to kill you. Eventually. Ouch....

i smoke rollies........much cheaper......12.5g usually lasts me most of the week (about £3.50), not that cost has anything to do with what we're talking about

(cigarettes don't kill you, life kills you ;) )

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Exactly. What a distant memory Withdean seems to be to some people. A ground where you couldn't get alcohol.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I am a fairly heavy smoker, and I have a smoke just before I go in. Yes I would like there to be the facility to let us out at HT, but have not got a problem that they don't, I am there to watch football, and get too involved in the game to worry about smoking. I do however light up as soon as I leave the stadium though.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Two and half hours (if you enter the ground well before kick off) without a cig and people moan really makes me wonder how people cope on a flight to the States or similar

A lot of smokers just won't fly long-distance. Plenty of income being lost by the airlines on account of that, I shouldn't wonder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here