Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slade back Tuesday who is going to be released?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
sutcliffe.jpg

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Difficult one to say my initial bets Robinson, Mayo , So called striker Dixon, hawkins, plus a few more

Releasing Hawkins, Dixon, McLeod and Livermore would mean paying them off so I doubt any of those will be let go, although they may be transfer listed.

In terms of being released, I would say Robinson, Mayo, Carole, Birchall and Jarrett are definite. I haven't seen enough of the four first year pros and Sam Gargan to comment but some of them will probably go.

Whing, Sullivan and Hart will probably be offered new deals while I am imagine they will offer deals to Dicker and Owusu (although Owusu may not get the two years he wants). Lastly, Fraser, Loft and Hinshelwood depend on how ambitious we are. I don't see them as being part of a promotion team so if we are really going for it next season they may not get deals.

Releasing Hawkins, Dixon, McLeod and Livermore would mean paying them off so I doubt any of those will be let go, although they may be transfer listed.

In terms of being released, I would say Robinson, Mayo, Carole, Birchall and Jarrett are definite. I haven't seen enough of the four first year pros and Sam Gargan to comment but some of them will probably go.

Whing, Sullivan and Hart will probably be offered new deals while I am imagine they will offer deals to Dicker and Owusu (although Owusu may not get the two years he wants). Lastly, Fraser, Loft and Hinshelwood depend on how ambitious we are. I don't see them as being part of a promotion team so if we are really going for it next season they may not get deals.

Alright - but players who were part of a successful relegation fighting team..... can you expect them to be let go of? Fraser and Loft shouldn't be dropped at this stage in their careers and our club's progress, in my opinion.

There are a couple of other players on our roster who are 'misunderstood' too, in that they've been played out of position and thereby not managed to confidently exact themselves on their best area of the pitch and formation.
To some extent I'd even include Nicky Forster in that category, because he's been asked such a lot of this last season and assert himself over too much of the forward field.
I'm hoping Slade will bring (and manage) a consistency to the team. It's no wonder we plummeted when juggling the formation around and messing with tactics. No-one knew what any other team-mate was going to do alongside them or wherever they'd be! Talk about wrecking a squad's unity and morale, it was horrendous, and suicidal for club - and the manager himself ultimately.

The reason Brighton started getting success and were great to watch in the 1970's and early 80's, was that you (and the team) knew the player and he knew his position - and we added to the quality in those positions as we went. Thereby Horton held down the middle, and was aided and abetted by Sullivan and Towner - etc.

I don't think it's healthy when fans wonder who will be where, and who will turn up on the day with a decent performance. It should not be a big question week-in week-out, like it has been in 2008/09.

The expression here is "comfort-zone". Our players haven't had enough of that luxury, and neither had the fans. It would go a long way to Russ Slade making his job look easy for himself.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Alright - but players who were part of a successful relegation fighting team..... can you expect them to be let go of? Fraser and Loft shouldn't be dropped at this stage in their careers and our club's progress, in my opinion.

I'm not expecting them to be released. All I'm saying is that they are the three I could understand either releasing or keeping. The rest of the decisions seem pretty clear cut to me.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

Good point, the person who many blame for us being in that position is no longer at the club, the fact that Slade managed to turn the position round...with pretty much the same players...is surely testament to their collective ability...though I know there is a counter argument that they should have been performing regardless of the manager sending them out onto the pitch.

Good point, the person who many blame for us being in that position is no longer at the club, the fact that Slade managed to turn the position round...with pretty much the same players...is surely testament to their collective ability...though I know there is a counter argument that they should have been performing regardless of the manager sending them out onto the pitch.

We witnessed Tommy Fraser improving his authority and play in matches as the season wore on, and under the pressure that was tangibly growing as our odds of survival grew slimmer.
That was Slade's influence on him in that team, in my opinion. Some players can really do well under certain managers, and for me - Fraser was luminous in Slade's side.
That's what makes a manager - a team, and vice versa.
It's a partnership which is 'seeded' player by player, and game by game.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I would get rid of the players who contributed nothing, but keep the likes of Fraser and Loft who clearly improved under Slade and who can be important players for us in the coming season. I would happily wave good bye to Kerry Mayo, he's been a quality servant to the club but his time is up here sadly now, good luck to him in league 2 though.
I would get rid of Jarrett, Birchall, Carole, Bangura, Owusu and Borrowdale. I know the last 3 were only on loan, but I add them anyway.

I would keep Whing, Hinshelwood, Sullivan, Hart, Fraser, Loft and Robinson.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I'd agree with NMH on this. I think Fraser is a future club captain and can become a real influence on the pitch. People criticise him because he's not flair, but he'll sit in front of the back four and do his job.

I'd keep Robinson...He's a confidence player and I wonder what he'd be capable of under Slade's style of man management. He's also done a good job down at Aldershot.

I'd cut my losses with McLeod & Hawkins. They're not bringing anything to the squad and I'd also sadly let Hinsh go.

He's a great player, but he's a luxury. We've said for the last 2 seasons when he's fit he'll be great, but he just never is. Sometimes a hard decision needs to be made by club and player to move on and I think that this is one of those times. The only other alternative is that we offer him a month on month contract and then see how it goes.

Dixon & Livermore should also go. Dixon hasn't really had the chance to show us what he can do and Livermore just doesn't fit if you've got Fraser...

Loft should be given another year as he's come on leaps & bounds over the last 3 months and people forget that he still a young player and can only get better.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'd agree with NMH on this. I think Fraser is a future club captain and can become a real influence on the pitch. People criticise him because he's not flair, but he'll sit in front of the back four and do his job.

I'd keep Robinson...He's a confidence player and I wonder what he'd be capable of under Slade's style of man management. He's also done a good job down at Aldershot.

I'd cut my losses with McLeod & Hawkins. They're not bringing anything to the squad and I'd also sadly let Hinsh go.

He's a great player, but he's a luxury. We've said for the last 2 seasons when he's fit he'll be great, but he just never is. Sometimes a hard decision needs to be made by club and player to move on and I think that this is one of those times. The only other alternative is that we offer him a month on month contract and then see how it goes.

Dixon & Livermore should also go. Dixon hasn't really had the chance to show us what he can do and Livermore just doesn't fit if you've got Fraser...

Loft should be given another year as he's come on leaps & bounds over the last 3 months and people forget that he still a young player and can only get better.

To be honest, I can understand keeping Fraser but future club captain. Our future hopefully lies in the Championship and Fraser is definitely not good enough for that at the moment (and I don't think will ever be).

I would definitely keep Livermore as he was never played in position and could be a real asset. Dixon I would let go (or try to give away to another club on a free) and McLeod and Hawkins are debatable.

I would definitely release Robinson. Definitely not good enough, especially if we are looking to get promotion. I would probably offer a year to Hinshelwood and Loft.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Try and hang on to Dicker, and maybe Borrowdale. Releaqse (or try and find good homes for) Robinson, Dixon, McLeod, Livermore, Hawkins, Jarrett, Bangura and Birchall. I would like to keep Owusu, but if a deal can't be struck, and we're keeping Forster, Murray, Davies and Hart, as well as trying to bring on Sam Gargan, he might be one-too-many in the forward department.
Maybe time to make a hard choice about El Abd too, but only if Dicker stays.

Why would you get rid of Livermore?

Exactly. Adams was an absolute idiot regarding that player and hopefully Slade wont fall into the same trap of thinking that El-Abd and Fraser are better players:nono:

We have one of the best defensive midfielders in the league and we have completely wasted him. we started with him in the center about 3 times? and one of those games, Northampton JPT, he set up a goal and scored one.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
I really hope Hinshelwood gets a contract.

He was out for ages, then came back and was expected to play two games a week for like a month. Then people are saying he's not good enough?

He should have been eased back in this year. We spent years paying for him to recover from injury so lets atleast give him a year to see what he can do...

Other than that Loft, Fraser, Hart and Sullivan. I'd also like to see Gargan and Birchall kept on.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'm gonna wait to see what happens when The Slade gets back. I'm sure they'll be 1 or 2 surprises for us to digest, but he's proved to us he's a shrewd operator - so he has my full backing (for what it's worth*).

*ie Sod-all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here