Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky suffer from reduction in viewers

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
The Telegraph reports that BSkyb is expected to announce that the number of its subscribers deserting the broadcaster, could reach to as high as 14% a year. Regardless of the expected announcement due tomorrow, Sky has lost a considerable amount of viewers. The main loss due to channels such as Sky One and Sky News, no longer being aired on Virgin Media’s cable TV network.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
GOOD. Their customer service is non existent:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Is that because people are realising that it's overpriced shite and that it's an obscene amount of money to spend to watch TV?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
REDLAND said:
The Telegraph reports that BSkyb is expected to announce that the number of its subscribers deserting the broadcaster, could reach to as high as 14% a year. Regardless of the expected announcement due tomorrow, Sky has lost a considerable amount of viewers. The main loss due to channels such as Sky One and Sky News, no longer being aired on Virgin Media’s cable TV network.

I don't understand this statement. 'Viewers' of Sky channels, and 'Subscribers' to Sky are two entirely different things.

Losing viewers through Virgin is a deliberate ploy to force people back to their own services.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Re: Re: Sky suffer from reduction in viewers

hans kraay fan club said:

Losing viewers through Virgin is a deliberate ploy to force people back to their own services.

it looks like its not working though ..

which is nice :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Re: Re: Re: Sky suffer from reduction in viewers

REDLAND said:
it looks like its not working though ..

which is nice :)

Too early to say that. they've only just pulled the plug on Virgin, and as always these figures will be months old.

Hope you're right though.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
For years, Sky have treated their customers like shit. They had a captive audience and took liberties.

Now its pay back time - hope they go to the wall:wave:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
The advertisers pay less money when there are less viewers so the money available for making new programmes and importing US programmes shrinks. Which means less people watch. Vicious circle. And they've brought it on themselves.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Once the football seasons over, I'll be cancelling it. But I'll go crawling back once the new season kicks off again.

:down:

HOWEVER - I'm permanently ditching the movies. Its shit now.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I had SKY years ago, and found myself wasting my life watching rubbish like Leicester City vs Wolves at 12pm on a Sunday - like I actually cared.

Ditched SKY a few years ago, and now just have BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4 and Channel 5 (Channel 5, so long as it isn't windy / foggy / raining / sunny / overcast/ daylight / night-time).

I know nothing about big business, but as an (ex) consumer, I think SKY need to re-think their business model. As a former customer, it really didn't offer me value for money, so I walked, and I can't see me ever going back.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I am with Rangdo on this issue, have never had a Sky subscription and probably never will, paying £400+ for the privelage of watching some live footy/cricket and the odd film is too much in my book, most of the rest is just garbage. The quality of the free to air stuff is generally pretty good, certainly it exceeds what is available on satellite by some distance, can't see the point unless you are a complete and utter TV addict.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Uncle C said:
For years, Sky have treated their customers like shit. They had a captive audience and took liberties.

Now its pay back time - hope they go to the wall:wave:

I've never understood why the Monopolies Commission hasn't investigated it.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Bry Nylon said:
I had SKY years ago, and found myself wasting my life watching rubbish like Leicester City vs Wolves at 12pm on a Sunday - like I actually cared.

On the estate we lived there was a shared sky dish so we all had some sky channels (including sky sports1). I found myself watching lots of games - including Aston Villa v Leicester on a Monday night ............ and thought I have no interest in this at all .......................

When we moved we didn't subscribe to sky - much to my sons disgust ........................... and I have not missed it. Apart from The Simpsons and King of the Hill on Sunday nights on sky one. There are occasional games when I think I would like to watch that - but the acid test is - can you be arsed to walk down the local ? And the answer is No.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
So, if you lot aren't watching SKY, wtf are you watching?????

There's absolutely nothing on terrestrial TV that I would bother switching on.

Bollocks soaps, dick-headed reality TV - its ALL shite.

The BBC is a joke (won't even have it on in our house) and the independent channels are worse.

SKY are moving in the direction they want to.
They will crush Branson and his arrogant attempt to corner the media market, and within a couple of years will own the right to broadcast every TV program worth watching.

We'll ALL be watching cable in a few years time.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Bry Nylon said:

Ditched SKY a few years ago, and now just have BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4 and Channel 5 (Channel 5, so long as it isn't windy / foggy / raining / sunny / overcast/ daylight / night-time).

Should have kept the dish, box and card - you'd have got way more channels than that for free, including Channel 5 ALL DAY LONG :jester:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
TonyW said:
So, if you lot aren't watching SKY, wtf are you watching?????

One of the 500 other channels on satellite or the 300 other on cable or the 40 other on digital terrestrial... Sky own about 50 of the >500 channels on their platform, and when you take out movies and sports - its about ten of them. The rest are not owned by Sky.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
MYOB said:
One of the 500 other channels on satellite or the 300 other on cable or the 40 other on digital terrestrial... Sky own about 50 of the >500 channels on their platform, and when you take out movies and sports - its about ten of them. The rest are not owned by Sky.

They're not worth watching either.

I really don't need to know how to dismember a 1950's steam engine, and I couldn't care less how the Victorians marinated rabbit droppings to serve as a starter.

There are precious few channels worth watching, and SKY owns the bloody lot.

Bite the bullet, pay the subscription, and stop watching shite :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
So, all the programmes worth watching are on Sky One, Sky Two, Sky Three, Sky Arts, Sky News, Sky Movies, Sky Sports, and Sky Travel? Cause thats all they 100% own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here