Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky suffer from reduction in viewers

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
TonyW said:

Bite the bullet, pay the subscription, and stop watching shite

Most of the sky output looks shite as well though. Or are you intererted in SUPER CLASH SUNDAY SHOWDOWN Bolton v Charlton.

I wouls say the best things on the box this week have both been on terrestial - Liverpool v Chelsea for sport, and The Lie of the Land.

All depends what you want.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Dick Knights Mumm said:
Most of the sky output looks shite as well though. Or are you intererted in SUPER CLASH SUNDAY SHOWDOWN Bolton v Charlton.

I wouls say the best things on the box this week have both been on terrestial - Liverpool v Chelsea for sport, and The Lie of the Land.

All depends what you want.

Well, the 35,000, Bolton supporters, and 20,000 Charlton supporters probably are.
The thing is, they CAN watch it on SKY - you can't on BBC.

Yes you have to pay the monthly subscription.
But I have to pay for my TV licence, and I don't watch the insulting drivel they call television.

A lot of what SKY put out is shite, but a whole lot more of it is great.

Music, sport, drama, movies, kid's programmes what the hell do the "FREE" to air channels offer me for my money - not a bloody lot, I'll tell you.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
MYOB said:
So, all the programmes worth watching are on Sky One, Sky Two, Sky Three, Sky Arts, Sky News, Sky Movies, Sky Sports, and Sky Travel? Cause thats all they 100% own.

In all honesty, I couldn't give a rat's arse who owns them, as long as I can watch them.

The BBC and ITV only actually own a tiny percentage of the garbage they show too.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
TonyW said:
Well, the 35,000, Bolton supporters, and 20,000 Charlton supporters probably are.

But I have to pay for my TV licence, and I don't watch the insulting drivel they call television.

Music, sport, drama, movies, kid's programmes what the hell do the "FREE" to air channels offer me for my money - not a bloody lot, I'll tell you.

Come on then tell what is great that is on Sky. I'll give you three to start with Sport, Lost, 24. What else?

Personally I'm chuffed with my freeview with Hard Disk. If there is crap on I've got about 5 episodes of Hotel Babylon to watch as well as a fair few films off Film 4.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
TonyW said:
In all honesty, I couldn't give a rat's arse who owns them, as long as I can watch them.

The BBC and ITV only actually own a tiny percentage of the garbage they show too.

Erm, a few posts ago you said everythign worth watching was on Sky owned channels, now you don't care? Masssive case of double standards there.

Also, I never said anything about who owns the content. Its who owns the CHANNELS.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
TonyW said:

What Sky channels show music or kids programmes? Sky sold its music channels (Scuzz, Flaunt, Bliss) in December and oddly enough, they're now free-to-air.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
TonyW said:

Do you work for Sky or something?

I've never had Sky and have no intention of getting it, even if it were half the price. There's plenty to watch on terrestial and digital TV: music, drama and kids' programmes are all better on the BBC channels.

Sky does offer a great range of sport but I'm not really interested in the Premiership and most of the other big games are on terrestial. There are some good films on Sky but there are good films on TCM and Film4 too - just don't have time to watch them.

Sky is grossly over-priced tat and it seems like they're being found out.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I had sky once in my third year at Uni.

It was overpriced trash and I found myself watching crap for the sake of it, seeing as I had paid for it.

I would never go back to Sky as there is plenty to keep me interested on terrestrial/freeview. The TV is set to become redundant as we are closing in on summer.

Down with Sky!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The sport on Sky is good, but the rest is utter shite. Movies that you have already seen at the cinema or on DVD, and American claptrap. Lost is utter bollocks, 24 about as realistic as Simon Jordan's tan, and the rest it totally forgettable and full of adverts for your £400+ a year.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
No, you misunderstand me. I don't care who owns them, as long as I can watch them.

I know SKY don't own MTV or the BOX or whatever. But with a SKY subscription I can see them.

Without it, I'm left to suffer the insulting mix of non-entities broadcast by the likes of the BBC or Channel 4.
And, since Murdoch has fallen out with Cheesy-grin branson, quite a lot of the output is not currently available on Virgin Media.

To watch the lot, you need to pay SKY.
I know its too much to pay, but that's life.

Branson has no problem charging £300+ for a first class rail ticket from Manchester to London, so he can't have any complaint at paying SKY to show SKY One.

I really can't see the point of having a 2 grand LCD HD TV, then watching the shite that the terrestrial TV companies put out.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Gwylan said:
Do you work for Sky or something?

I've never had Sky and have no intention of getting it, even if it were half the price. There's plenty to watch on terrestial and digital TV: music, drama and kids' programmes are all better on the BBC channels.

Sky does offer a great range of sport but I'm not really interested in the Premiership and most of the other big games are on terrestial. There are some good films on Sky but there are good films on TCM and Film4 too - just don't have time to watch them.

Sky is grossly over-priced tat and it seems like they're being found out.

Utter nonsense!!

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
El Presidente said:
The sport on Sky is good, but the rest is utter shite. Movies that you have already seen at the cinema or on DVD, and American claptrap. Lost is utter bollocks, 24 about as realistic as Simon Jordan's tan, and the rest it totally forgettable and full of adverts for your £400+ a year.
So what do the BBC put out that would hold your attention then?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Easy 10 said:
Once the football seasons over, I'll be cancelling it. But I'll go crawling back once the new season kicks off again.

:down:

HOWEVER - I'm permanently ditching the movies. Its shit now.

Yep agreed. No decent movies on anymore. Most people will stick with Virgin Media because they can't be arsed to switch. Therefore less people watching Sky. Its their own fault. Tossers.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
TonyW said:

At the moment (off the top of my head)...

Rogue Traders
Have I got news for you
It's not easy being green
Saving Lullingstone Castle
Top Gear
The Real Hustle

Plus plenty of other series that have finished...Coast etc.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Im about to ditch my Films and Sports and multiroom subscription, I watch about 7 footy matches a year, and 2 films a month. Having a mutiroom box in our bedroom stops me from going to bed when I should.

I reckon Ill save £400 a year.

The one thing I will miss is the cricket when the tests start, but this summer I dont think its going to be much kop anyway.

If I could get Virgin Media, I would sign up tomorrow.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
TonyW said:

BBC
The Apprentice.
Jools Holland
Extras
Life on Mars
Rome

ITV
Supernatural
Boxing
Formula 1

C4
Peep Show
Sopranos
Skins
Mark of Cain
The Green Wing
Borat

Not bad. And I dont know about you but I have a life and theres more than enough there to cater for the amount of time I want to waste in front of the TV.

Sky give me Lost and Nip/Tuck, overpriced films and footy and constant reruns of simpsons. Thats about it.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We watch Sky One, Paramount Comedy, all the Documentary channels, the occasional movie and some sport. My favorite channel at the moment is called (I think) ESPN Classic. The other day, in very grainy black and white, I watched the Barbarians v the All Blacks from 1964.

I 'quite like' satellite TV. We've got multi-room as well so my son can watch what he wants as he's not interested in rugby matches from the 1960s. Also, and this is probably the wrong reason and marks me down as a 'bad parent', his mates have all got it and I don't want him to be left out.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
The GREAT thing about Sky is Sky+.

I only like a few shows, but I am never in when they are on so its a great way of storing up good telly to watch when i'm 'working from home' or when we are in and there is f*** all on.

Like Brovian says we also have it for the kids and their mates when they come round, like a lot of parents we are slaves to pier pressure !

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here