Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm comfortable with that, if they do it to benefit the UK rather than cronies, while at the same time supporting development of 'green' energy. And hopefully the days of Baron Kagan are long in the past.

A necessity until we’ve further increased renewables and nuclear.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Can I ask what you guys think the new Labour government will actually do? rather than vague 'repair 13 years of damage' nonsense, what will they spend, how will they raise it (what will they stop spending or who/what will they tax more to pay for it) and what will the impact be? I have been scouting around, reading about the Five Missions etc... and unsurprisingly it is like trying to nail jelly to the wall. I would be really interested to know what will be significantly different (other than it's not being done by the Tories) and by how much?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Can I ask what you guys think the new Labour government will actually do? rather than vague 'repair 13 years of damage' nonsense, what will they spend, how will they raise it (what will they stop spending or who/what will they tax more to pay for it) and what will the impact be? I have been scouting around, reading about the Five Missions etc... and unsurprisingly it is like trying to nail jelly to the wall. I would be really interested to know what will be significantly different (other than it's not being done by the Tories) and by how much?
They don’t have to disclose what they think until the election has been called 😉

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
First of all, they are going to have to untangle a lot of mixed contracts, check their length and legality, reverse some laws to enable peaceful protests again, and try to get to the starting line of where the scorched earth policies ended.
I’m not expecting radical changes in the first two years. 13 years of Tory misrule (I remember Harold Wilson) will take a lot of sorting out.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I believe the last Tory manifesto was about 2 pages long with ‘Get Brexit Done’ covering the majority of the message. The Tories believed a 3 word slogan and not much detail was enough to appease simpletons and largely, they were proved right.

Unfortunately, Labour are ‘reducing the target’. They fear the billionaire foreign and non-dom owned right wing press because of its hysterical treatment of Corbyn. You won’t get any more information than you in did the Tory manifesto you lovingly voted for last time.

By stating that they are going after non-dom tax loopholes, they are now guaranteed a kicking from the likes of the Daily Mail who will surely be dredging up all the criminals Starmer defended as a lawyer and claiming he shares their values and thinks their crimes are ok.

Brexit and Johnson has proved the majority of the British electorate (perhaps as many as 60%) don’t need the sort of policy detail you seem to be after to make their decision at the polling booth. Until we become a much smarter nation (and invest in teaching politics at primary school level etc), expect the sort election campaigns and policies aimed at the most stupid in our society from both sides. Starmer will stay quiet and the Tories/right wing press (with no policy targets to attack) will focus on Stamer’s career as a defence lawyer.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
First of all, they are going to have to untangle a lot of mixed contracts, check their length and legality, reverse some laws to enable peaceful protests again, and try to get to the starting line of where the scorched earth policies ended.
I’m not expecting radical changes in the first two years. 13 years of Tory misrule (I remember Harold Wilson) will take a lot of sorting out.
Thank you for providing a detailed response 😂😂😂

My favourite being check a few contracts

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I believe the last Tory manifesto was about 2 pages long with ‘Get Brexit Done’ covering the majority of the message. The Tories believed a 3 word slogan and not much detail was enough to appease simpletons and largely, they were proved right.

Unfortunately, Labour are ‘reducing the target’. They fear the billionaire foreign and non-dom owned right wing press because of its hysterical treatment of Corbyn. You won’t get any more information than you in did the Tory manifesto you lovingly voted for last time.

By stating that they are going after non-dom tax loopholes, they are now guaranteed a kicking from the likes of the Daily Mail who will surely be dredging up all the criminals Starmer defended as a lawyer and claiming he shares their values and thinks their crimes are ok.

Brexit and Johnson has proved the majority of the British electorate (perhaps as many as 60%) don’t need the sort of policy detail you seem to be after to make their decision at the polling booth. Until we become a much smarter nation (and invest in teaching politics at primary school level etc), expect the sort election campaigns and policies aimed at the most stupid in our society from both sides. Starmer will stay quiet and the Tories/right wing press (with no policy targets to attack) will focus on Stamer’s career as a defence lawyer.
I agree with a most of that, I believe only people as intelligent as you should be allowed to vote 👍

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
My own view is that over the last three decades, elections are won and lost on personalities as well as parties and party policy.

Tony Blair vs John Major - Blair's personality shone through against a decent and dogged John Major - Labour majority 179
Tony Blair vs Iain Duncan Smith - enough said - Labour majority 167
Tony Blair vs Michael Howard - enough said - Labour majority 66 seats
David Cameron vs Gordon Brown - Silver tongued Dave beats a decent Labour leader - Conservative majority 61 seats
David Cameron vs Ed Miliband - "Red Ed" not quite up to "Dodgy Dave" - Conservative majority 10 seats
Theresa May vs Jeremy Corbyn - Corbyn surprisingly, gave May a bloody nose. May's non personality shone through. - No majority
B*r*s Johnson vs Jeremy Corbyn - Slogans and lies win out - the big personality trounces the previously successful Corbyn - Conservative majority 80 seats

So next time we have Starmer vs Sunak. Starmer's public persona marginally better than Sunak. If Johnson was on the ticket for the Tories, I reckon they would have a good chance again.

A huge percentage of our electorate are fighting to make ends meet. And most think that all politicians are dodgy, not just Tory politicians (despite all the evidence to the contrary).
It's not always about Conservatives vs Labour. It's also about the public persona and popularity of the candidate to become the next Prime Minister.

Thank goodness Sunak will be on the ticket for the Torys.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
I'm not expecting much in terms of positive change so it's more a case of what they won't do (hopefully!). I don't expect a Labour government attempting to erode workers' rights or agitating to exit the ECHR. That's about it but hope to be proven wrong.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Never hidden it. Never had a good reason to change or consider change till now and Labour has never resonated with me, my life, my work etc. Nor have Labour politicians. Not going to apologise for it. But a struggling Tory government gives Labour it's chance. It's up to them to present themselves as an attractive alternative, not just 'not the Tories'. Like many previous Tory voters considering their options, I'm not going to be a turkey voting for Christmas. Unfortunately, anyone suggesting a natural disposition to voting Tory on NSC usually gets battered, so they keep their heads down.
fair does.

in all fairness,(having voted for the big 3 and the greens), i can't comprehend how anyone could consider voting tory this time. ignoring brexit entirely, how could they be worse; corruption, incompetence, and a casual disregard for the law. in short, in 13/14 years, what have they ever done for us, curtailed our right to protest and pumped more poo in our rivers?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Until they have managed to reverse the direction the economy is heading there won't be any money for any other policies. I suspect that simply getting rid of the current cabal will allow some proper fiscal planning, rather than the constant panic of the last few years as the Government plunge from self induced crisis to crisis. Just having a bit of sensible long term financial planning will help and may well attract more investment.

And there are some fairly obvious quick wins. Spending some money on clearing the asylum backlog and getting those granted asylum working will get more money coming into the treasury in taxes and get rid of the current money being pissed up the wall here in the UK and Rwanda on ridiculous culture wars. (The money already given to Rwanda could have cleared the asylum backlog twice over with money to spare). Particularly whilst so many industries in Britain are so short of workers.

The review/renegotiation of the Brexit deal due in 2025 will be an excellent opportunity to help the economy with far closer ties to our nearest and biggest trader and taking off some of the more ridiculous things we did when we left the EU. If a few senior politicians in Government actually read and understand any changes to the deal this time, that would give Britain enormous advantages over the last 'deal'. I don't think anyone honestly believes that moving closer to the Single Market is going to be bad for the economy.

I think the focus of a first term needs to be rescuing the economy, getting it on an even keel and trying to grow it. No political party can implement anything without the money to do it :shrug:

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
David Cameron vs Gordon Brown - Silver tongued Dave beats a decent Labour leader - Conservative majority 61 seats
The Conservatives didn't get a majority at all in 2010.
I think if that election had occurred a couple of years earlier then there's a fair chance Labour would have finished with more seats than the Conservatives. Not so much due to specific events in those years, but the wearing effect of time in power.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here