Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Wayne Rooney wants to leave Manchester United.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
What odds that Sir Alex will finally head off into retirement at the end of this season? It's a few years since the last time he said he was going to go.

I think he's had enough, meself.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
What odds that Sir Alex will finally head off into retirement at the end of this season? It's a few years since the last time he said he was going to go.

I think he's had enough, meself.

with rooney gone and very little in the way of financial support, i think he would be very shrewd to call it a day with his reputation intact before a possible liverpool-esque nosedive happens

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You mean United who are seemingly on a downward trend, knocked out the champions league early last year for someone of their pedigree, seen to be a second to chelsea in the league and showing no intent to spend on the players they need to push for first as opposed to City who are on an upward trend, spending big in an effort to push forward, to achieve champions league football, to challenge for the top spot.

Ambition is about looking to the future, what efforts are being made to bring future achievements, not looking back on what was accomplished.

Rooney is saying Man Utd are not looking forward in the same way they used to, to say "well look what they did in the past" isn't a good way of proving him wrong.

You really think Rooney's position is about MU's ambition.:facepalm:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

rooneys team have a position, not rooney who is just sitting there staring into space like a baby looking at a mobile, thinking of prozzies and playstation games.

i feel tainted even havng an opinion on this. football has always been sleazy but this episode is revolting even by the games standards.

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
rooneys team have a position, not rooney who is just sitting there staring into space like a baby looking at a mobile, thinking of prozzies and playstation games.

i feel tainted even havng an opinion on this. football has always been sleazy but this episode is revolting even by the games standards.

This..
I actually think he must have at least 1 brain amongst his entourage who have suggested that before he signs away the best years of his career to United, consider that Sir Alex will possibly be gone, followed by a period of unknown flux, yet without the finanical muscle to compete with their neighbours.. its a more feasable arguement than, Sir Alex wont talk to me i want to leave.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
rooney has been there six years now. i dare say that in the next six years, man city will win more than united

Why is this? City have been awash with oil money for more than two years and have won cock-all so far - not even finishing in the top 4. Teams don't generally become great in a couple of years - I know Chelsea managed it but they were a top 4 team anyway and they employed a top manager.

I can't see money alone doing it for City - no matter what silly wages they pay. It's possible that they win more than Man U in the next six years but that's only because Man U will probable win very little too.

There were rumours about this a few months ago and he denied them strenuously.

BBC Sport - Football - Sir Alex Ferguson dismisses Man Utd retirement rumours

I can't see the antics of a money-grabbing, granny-shagging bindipper is going to change his mind.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This..
I actually think he must have at least 1 brain amongst his entourage who have suggested that before he signs away the best years of his career to United, consider that Sir Alex will possibly be gone, followed by a period of unknown flux, yet without the finanical muscle to compete with their neighbours.. its a more feasable arguement than, Sir Alex wont talk to me i want to leave.

I think it is far simpler than that. £200k per week vs £150k per week. There are no guarantees of trophies at any club really. Chelsea don't have the money now Roman's reigned in his spending, Arsenal don't spend, ManCity are not even in the Champions League, and no guarantee they'll be there next season either. He can't come out and say 'I'm going for more more money'? so he's played the Glazer card. Ambition, MU lost the title by one point. ManCity didn't even make top 5, Chelsea & Arsenal also failed in the Champions League. It is money.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
This..

its stating the obvious really but its amazing how many people people who you think are clued up just recite the tabloid knockabout version of events as if its actually happening like that.

Football_Friends

Aug 18, 2010
Oooop North.....Manchester
Bold has it nailed on for me....he's pulled out the glazier card. United lost the league by 1 point and got knocked out on away goals in the champions league when they really shouldn't have given the position they were in. Bigger players have left united and the club continues to be successful and I don't see that changing if Rooney goes. The only difference is there isn't as many big names underneath him as in the past. It's time for players like nani and berbatov to take the reigns.

It wa also interesting listening to dwight yorke last night before and after the match. He made the point that is there really anyone you would want to pay alot of money for even available?? They perhaps could have made moves for ozel and schneidder but there isn't that many top players about and the likes of ronaldo, messi etc are tied up. (anticipates cries of Bale)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

To a degree.

If Man Utd shared his ambition they would be willing to pay for top stars to replace those they've lost, and pay Wayne as much as he feels he deserves (or at least be willing to negotiate to something they both find acceptable).

If Man Utd win things he is then playing for the best team, and is a star player for the best team which would suit Brand Rooney very nicely.

All the while Utd are happy to play second fiddle to chelsea, and risk slipping behind City and Arsenal, Brand Rooney is losing some of its shine. His brand could survive prostitute scandals with a spin of "he's being a lad", "the only person for whom it should matter - colleen has forgiven him and he is dedicating himself to being a family man", if they can also say, "look, he's firing man utd on to the brink of another premier league title, champions league title and is helping England into the european finals".

He doesn't have that. So, if he moves somewhere else even if he isn't firing on all cylinders, if the team is making progress he will be able to repair his brand and make more money.

His ambition is to be a viable brand and make as much money as he can, and he needs the team he's playing for to be successful, and retain the promise of success in years to come. Man Utd aren't showing that potential at the moment.

Ambition is what all wrestlers talk about when they are too embarrassed to talk about earning potential, and as far as footballers protecting themselves from the wrath of fans it is the only thing they can say.

My point was that you can't argue man utd do have ambition by reminsicing about past achievements.

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I cant wait to see what happens when the new wages cap rule comes in!!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Man Utd can sell Rooney for as much as they like, they aint gonna get the money to reinvest due to the debt the Glazers have!

Oh well nevermind eh? :lolol:

:albion1:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It will be simple to assess:
If he goes to Chelsea or Real Madrid, then it's about ambition
If he goes to City, then it's about money
If he goes anywhere else, then I'll be very surprised

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You do love those facepalm smileys. Still, in lieu of a convincing argument....

Man U fan agrees with Man U fan shocker.

Defending ManU on a Brighton board makes me a ManU fan? Right oh then, so unless you spill a load of hateful resentful bile you are a ManU fan. Nice one. Now which one to use....let me think....erm....:shrug:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It was fascinating to hear Ferguson's reaction to Rooney's statement about wanting to leave Utd because they're failing to show ambition. Sir Alex replied "Ambition? We've won thirty trophies."

Yet ambition implies the future, not the past. Only League titles and Champions League wins will satisfy Rooney and United do not seem well-placed to seriously challenge for either this season. Crucially, the books are a disaster unless they sell quality like Ronaldo.

Sir Alex has done a great job of keeping the club together in the midst of the row between fans and the Glazers, but the reality is the rot set in when he failed to replace Ronaldo.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Wazz off

He'll go abroad to somewhere big like Real, be shit, get stuck on the bench, 'fail to settle' and then come back home when all is forgiven or rather forgotten after some other muppet has been busy bending it in a load of hookers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here