Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] "Single file you lycra clad twats"

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Human beings basically. Doesn't matter whether they are in a car, on a bike, playing golf, walking a dog, paddle boarding, or whatever, a fair percentage of us are dicks!

Not me or you of course Nev, but plenty of others. Important thing is, not to tarnish everyone with the same brush. I'm sure some white van drivers are nice people on the inside. :D

That’s a very fair point Bold. The irony is that most people are in most of those camps at various times. Don’t get me started on golfers or those dicks boarding paddles though :smile::wink:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's all Beechings fault!

on a similar note, the A283 Shoreham to Steyning road is another example . . . the old railway is a smooth flat path for walkers and cyclists, surrounded by greenery and fresh air, yet you still get hero's on the main road, its dangerous enough in a car! last week was just a random bloke on a normal bike pottering along. It defies all logic.

….where you will regularly encounter groups of mountain bikers hurtling towards you taking up the whole width of the path :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Enjoy a drive in a tail of traffic at less than 20 mph, there speaks a non driver and probably a cyclist :smile:

Life at 20mph seems fine to me. Slow down my friend; if you worry about being late, just leave a bit earlier.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don't like cyclists. There I have said it.

They ruin South Downs pathways. One ran over my dog because they were going too fast. They look stupid. I'm sure there are other reasons but that's my list for now.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I don't like cyclists. There I have said it.

They ruin South Downs pathways. One ran over my dog because they were going too fast. They look stupid. I'm sure there are other reasons but that's my list for now.

Get your dog under control, pal. There's little worse than being out for a nice walk or a cycle and there's an unruly mutt running around without a care in the world and an owner who really couldn't care less that their pooch is a menace and a danger to others. Quick to blame, slow to realise they're the problem.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Get your dog under control, pal. There's little worse than being out for a nice walk or a cycle and there's an unruly mutt running around without a care in the world and an owner who really couldn't care less that their pooch is a menace and a danger to others. Quick to blame, slow to realise they're the problem.

As a cycling dog owner who also rides scooters and drives cars, that is bollocks, the vast majority of dogs potter around quite predictably.

you don't drive at 70mph into a crossroads fingers crossed with your eyes shut, or straight over the top of a roundabout without stopping or looking, so why not have the same consideration on mixed use bridle paths

I do agree there are unruly dogs, and they're usually attached to unruly owners!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
As a cycling dog owner who also rides scooters and drives cars, that is bollocks, the vast majority of dogs potter around quite predictably.

you don't drive at 70mph into a crossroads fingers crossed with your eyes shut, or straight over the top of a roundabout without stopping or looking, so why not have the same consideration on mixed use bridle paths

I do agree there are unruly dogs, and they're usually attached to unruly owners!

If you agree that there are unruly dogs, and unruly owners, then how is my post bollocks? Rude, immature and childish. Shame on you. I would expect much better from someone with such a considered and mature avatar image.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Life at 20mph seems fine to me. Slow down my friend; if you worry about being late, just leave a bit earlier.

Nothing to do with being late, I was responding to you suggesting that driving at 20 mph was somehow a thing to cherish and enjoy, :rolleyes:

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
It's all Beechings fault!

on a similar note, the A283 Shoreham to Steyning road is another example . . . the old railway is a smooth flat path for walkers and cyclists, surrounded by greenery and fresh air, yet you still get hero's on the main road, its dangerous enough in a car! last week was just a random bloke on a normal bike pottering along. It defies all logic.

You can only take mountain bikes or hybrid bikes on that track which is a compacted path for part of the way only. A road bike wouldn’t last on that path because it would probably puncture the tyres.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Pretending to be Lance Armstrong on a bridleway is one crime i'd bring back hanging for,

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I don’t mind them cycling on country roads, so what if you can’t overtake them safely, a point will come when you can, life’s too short to get overworked up about it.

What really grinds my gears is cyclists on say for example the sea front heading west, in the feckin road, when the council have halved the road for them, a dedicated cycle lane….

Use it arrogant t@wts….

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I don't know if I am mis-remembering but in the past was the rectangular blue sign which now indicates a contra-flow cycle lane indicated a compulsory cycle lane. I am sure there were such signs alongside what is now Crawley Avenue but was then the Crawley By-Pass.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
You can only take mountain bikes or hybrid bikes on that track which is a compacted path for part of the way only. A road bike wouldn’t last on that path because it would probably puncture the tyres.

I've ridden it hundreds of times on 25mm tyres, never had a puncture . . . . Gator skins . . . Last puncture I had was Lancing path near PErch.

All the cycle paths are 'mixed' the roads are frankly worse!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don’t mind them cycling on country roads, so what if you can’t overtake them safely, a point will come when you can, life’s too short to get overworked up about it.

What really grinds my gears is cyclists on say for example the sea front heading west, in the feckin road, when the council have halved the road for them, a dedicated cycle lane….

Use it arrogant t@wts….

This, in spades

I think I could get to work 1 or 2 minutes quicker on the road, but I'd be at more risk, breathing fumes and not enjoying a sea view.

Having said that, BN43 to Worthing is 20 times better than to Brighton, long gone are the days when I could cycle to Moulsecombe safely/legally on the esplanade and road and in good time.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Why not just sit back, chill and enjoy the drive? Why all the urgency and impatience? It’s a serious question.

From this comment I am guessing you are a cyclist. To answer the question, if I wanted to get where I was going in twice the time it wouldn't be a problem. Also driving at constant speed is relaxing, having to regularly check speed, to prevent going up the arse of a peloton that has just hit an incline is far from a relaxing and enjoyable drive

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This newish thing of adults riding their bikes on the pavement gets on my tits. Why? Usually one handed while looking at their phone, with a fag on. Not just teenagers showing off either, 30-40 year olds too.
It's not like it's easier on the pavement either. Far, far quicker and easier to cycle on the road.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Country lane, no one around, dog quite happily trotting along beside me. Idiot comes down hill, round corner at about 30-40mph. Misses me by very little, goes straight over the dog. I am pretty sure that is not my fault or the dogs fault. Fortunately the idiot came off his bike as well, so every cloud has a silver lining. But sadly he didn't appear to suffer more than a dent to his dignity.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
From this comment I am guessing you are a cyclist. To answer the question, if I wanted to get where I was going in twice the time it wouldn't be a problem. Also driving at constant speed is relaxing, having to regularly check speed, to prevent going up the arse of a peloton that has just hit an incline is far from a relaxing and enjoyable drive

Pootling along at a nice, sensible and safe speed and then easing one’s foot off the accelerator slightly doesn’t strike me as too stressful? Do you really get road rage from this? Life’s too short.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

So settle back, tuck in behind the peloton and cruise along at a constant 16 mph.

Everyone’s happy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here