Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] "Single file you lycra clad twats"

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
It’s funny how a couple of horse riders riding side by side will get the upmost respect by motorist. Well most, but people still lose their shit over cyclists. It’s a funny old world.

In my experience the respect is shown both ways, with the horse riders getting out of the way as best they can, trouble with bikes they are often going at an unbelievably annoying speed, meaning you are stuck behind them going way too slow but just fast enough to make getting past them difficult. What really pisses me off are cyclists two abreast with on in the bike lane and the other in the 'road'. We now have a metre rule meaning that on some roads its illegal to pass them. To be honest I cant stand the pricks even though some of them are my mates.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Did you have anything specific planned for the few minutes you were apparently delayed for? :)[/QUOTE
Just going to work. I travel the route on many different days and times of the week. Some days no problem. Other days like this you get a peloton. It’s a gamble. Just an observation. I was delayed by about 15mins FYI on my expected travel time. Who knows how long the chain behind me were delayed.

I have adjusted my life to leave earlier on Sundays, as I expect or not, to have a few cyclists. Last week was extreme.

Thought they would/should have pulled over? Pissed me off, and probably the rest behind me.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Why don't horse riders have to pick up the horse shit when their animal decides to make a deposit on a public path.
They should carry trowels and carrier bags to collect it up in, same rule as for dog owners.
It makes a lot more mess when just left.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just going to work. I travel the route on many different days and times of the week. Some days no problem. Other days like this you get a peloton. It’s a gamble. Just an observation. I was delayed by about 15mins FYI on my expected travel time. Who knows how long the chain behind me were delayed.

I have adjusted my life to leave earlier on Sundays, as I expect or not, to have a few cyclists. Last week was extreme.

Thought they would/should have pulled over? Pissed me off, and probably the rest behind me.

If you're travelling Southbound into Ditchling at the weekend, then there are always delays at the Ditchling crossroads bikes or no bikes. Just an observation, why not just hit the A23 / A27 at weekends?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Attachments

• 72B79F6E-6717-4B0C-B02F-C6650FC24F10.jpeg
    72B79F6E-6717-4B0C-B02F-C6650FC24F10.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 148

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why don't horse riders have to pick up the horse shit when their animal decides to make a deposit on a public path.
They should carry trowels and carrier bags to collect it up in, same rule as for dog owners.
It makes a lot more mess when just left.

No human health risk from horse manure. That's why you can put it all over your garden, growing veg etc. Horses have a plant based diet so no real bacteria in their shit.

Dogs on the other hand with their various meat and processed meat diets have a whole range of bacteria, worms etc. in their poo - hence you can't really use it as a nutrient in gardening, otherwise you could buy a bag of dog shit in the garden centre! :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In my experience the respect is shown both ways, with the horse riders getting out of the way as best they can, trouble with bikes they are often going at an unbelievably annoying speed, meaning you are stuck behind them going way too slow but just fast enough to make getting past them difficult. What really pisses me off are cyclists two abreast with on in the bike lane and the other in the 'road'. We now have a metre rule meaning that on some roads its illegal to pass them. To be honest I cant stand the pricks even though some of them are my mates.

Why not just sit back, chill and enjoy the drive? Why all the urgency and impatience? It’s a serious question.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
regardless of mode, too many people are ignorant and selfish on the roads . . . scool run mums probably trump anything on 2 wheels or 4 legs.

That's the long and short of it for me, consideration. I was following 2 cyclists on the A470 through the Brecon beacons on Saturday, happily ambling along taking up the whole lane, took miles to get past - For those of you who don't know, the A470 is the main North/South trunk road in Wales, it's kind of like the M1. It's incredibly selfish not to occasionally think about how to let people past, whether you're on a bike, in a motor home or a Mansel Davies truck (they NEVER pull over).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why not just sit back, chill and enjoy the drive? Why all the urgency and impatience? It’s a serious question.

Enjoy a drive in a tail of traffic at less than 20 mph, there speaks a non driver and probably a cyclist :smile:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

How often is this actually happening to these people? I've been driving for 30 years now, I cannot recall getting held up by cyclists for any length of time that I found annoying. Very occasionally I am caught up behind some bikes, no different to a tractor or farm vehicle, walkers, horse riders, animals or whatever else when driving around the countryside.

There are people who are genuinely a scourge to the roads, tailgating people they feel are going to slow, bombing about everywhere, getting seriously annoyed with bikes or whatever else they believe is holding them up. Check the rear view mirror, the problem here might be staring back at you.

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That's the long and short of it for me, consideration. I was following 2 cyclists on the A470 through the Brecon beacons on Saturday, happily ambling along taking up the whole lane, took miles to get past - For those of you who don't know, the A470 is the main North/South trunk road in Wales, it's kind of like the M1. It's incredibly selfish not to occasionally think about how to let people past, whether you're on a bike, in a motor home or a Mansel Davies truck (they NEVER pull over).

Agreed, it's all about consideration. I don't want to join in with the anti-cycling 'brigade', but speaking as a bus user cyclists can be frustrating. I live in Brighton and work in Uckfield and often get the 29 bus to and from the office. Quite often on the A26 the bus will slow to a crawl and I know the reason: there's a cyclist (usually just an individual) pedalling away heroically in front of us. Unlike a car a bus really needs a big gap in the oncoming traffic before it can overtake, and being rush hour they are few and far between. Bus travel is uncomfortable and frustrating enough as it is without additional delays, and the cyclists never pull over and let the bus past.

(Of course if they re-opened the railway between Lewes and Uckfield I'd get the train and thus avoid all the traffic!)

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Agreed, it's all about consideration. I don't want to join in with the anti-cycling 'brigade', but speaking as a bus user cyclists can be frustrating. I live in Brighton and work in Uckfield and often get the 29 bus to and from the office. Quite often on the A26 the bus will slow to a crawl and I know the reason: there's a cyclist (usually just an individual) pedalling away heroically in front of us. Unlike a car a bus really needs a big gap in the oncoming traffic before it can overtake, and being rush hour they are few and far between. Bus travel is uncomfortable and frustrating enough as it is without additional delays, and the cyclists never pull over and let the bus past.

(Of course if they re-opened the railway between Lewes and Uckfield I'd get the train and thus avoid all the traffic!)

It's all Beechings fault!

on a similar note, the A283 Shoreham to Steyning road is another example . . . the old railway is a smooth flat path for walkers and cyclists, surrounded by greenery and fresh air, yet you still get hero's on the main road, its dangerous enough in a car! last week was just a random bloke on a normal bike pottering along. It defies all logic.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

If only it was that simple :(. The Wealden Line / BML2 proposals make so much sense from the perspective of making rail in the south east work better (more capacity, more efficient, viable alternative routes when needed etc), but the government constantly bat them away as not having a good enough business case (ie, they don't think they can make a profit from it).

All while completely ignoring that the Uckfield -> London Bridge route is not going to have anywhere near enough capacity once the already planned housing expansion in the area is complete. It already had people going north into London from stations north of Uckfield boarding the southbound trains so they could get a seat a few years ago. What's it going to be like in a few years time when all the Uckfield area new housing projects are complete? Ridgewood Farm is the big one, but there's a number of smaller projects up and running as well that are going to significantly increase the population - and you can bet that the vast majority of those new home owners will be commuting to either London (which means the current single-track diesel line will need capacity improvements - which probably means electrification and restoring the second track - but even then, it'll be bottle-necked at Croydon) or Brighton (more traffic through Lewes = problems). BML2 is the obvious solution, but successive governments have lacked the foresight and balls to put the money in (and have even historically cooked the books for the business case to justify refusing to do it).

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If only it was that simple :(. The Wealden Line / BML2 proposals make so much sense from the perspective of making rail in the south east work better (more capacity, more efficient, viable alternative routes when needed etc), but the government constantly bat them away as not having a good enough business case (ie, they don't think they can make a profit from it).

It's not really a vote winner either. If the Wealden line ran through some marginals - it would likely be on the agenda. Edit - I suppose Lewes has been a marginal in recent history...

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
It's not really a vote winner either. If the Wealden line ran through some marginals - it would likely be on the agenda. Edit - I suppose Lewes has been a marginal in recent history...

Agreed. For a long time it was a problem because it was a solid Lib Dem seat. Then when the Lib Dems collapsed it became a solid Tory seat (WTF with that dunce Caulfield being the candidate?). I would not be surprised to see the Lib Dems nick it back at the next GE, though.

And on that note, I'll bow out and stop taking this thread off on a wild tangent :p.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Agreed. I’m not anti cyclist either and have similar opinions about selfish car drivers. This thread does rather illustrate that there is a reluctance sometimes to acknowledge the issue.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Oh I know. Just wishful thinking on my part!

EDIT: Although you do make a good point about all the new housing developments. The A26 is only going to get worse - for all road users. (And yes, like you I'll leave it there and let the others get the discussion back onto lycra twats!)

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agreed. I’m not anti cyclist either and have similar opinions about selfish car drivers. This thread does rather illustrate that there is a reluctance sometimes to acknowledge the issue.

Human beings basically. Doesn't matter whether they are in a car, on a bike, playing golf, walking a dog, paddle boarding, or whatever, a fair percentage of us are dicks!

Not me or you of course Nev, but plenty of others. Important thing is, not to tarnish everyone with the same brush. I'm sure some white van drivers are nice people on the inside. :D

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Human beings basically. Doesn't matter whether they are in a car, on a bike, playing golf, walking a dog, paddle boarding, or whatever, a fair percentage of us are dicks!

Not me or you of course Nev, but plenty of others. Important thing is, not to tarnish everyone with the same brush. I'm sure some white van drivers are nice people on the inside. :D

Growing up in Australia, it was always Volvo drivers. Especially if you were a motorcyclist. Then came the rise of the 4x4 / SUV and the Volvo drivers all migrated. Didn't do anything to help their driving, though...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here