Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simon Cowell is a ****

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The control he has over artists and the charts is totally f***ing up British pop music imo. Bland, safe shit doesn't cover it. Pop Idol, X Factor etc are the worst things that have ever happened to British pop music imo. How anyone can think Cowell is good at anything other than making money is beyond me.

The control he has over artists and the charts is totally f***ing up British pop music imo. Bland, safe shit doesn't cover it. Pop Idol, X Factor etc are the worst things that have ever happened to British pop music imo. How anyone can think Cowell is good at anything other than making money is beyond me.

Spot on.

How people can honestly say he 'say's it as it is' is just a load of old rubbish.

He is totally manipulating the programme for his own ends. He is the producer and main judge so can completely influence the outcome. He knows Lucy is the better singer and yet she represents competition for his boys so it was the same as last week and despite all the bollox he has spouted about Jedward over the last few weeks, he COMPLETELY back tracks - purely for his own gain. That has nothing to do with speaking the truth.

The programme is now a complete farce and not worth watching so I'll look forward to something else.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He is totally manipulating the programme for his own ends. He is the producer and main judge so can completely influence the outcome. He knows Lucy is the better singer and yet she represents competition for his boys so it was the same as last week and despite all the bollox he has spouted about Jedward over the last few weeks, he COMPLETELY back tracks - purely for his own gain. That has nothing to do with speaking the truth.

A friend dragged me into this whole X Factor malarkey recently because of this whole Jedward stuff, so I'm very new to it.

But "represents competition for his boys" - are you being serious? From what I gather, anyone who comes out of this programme with any form of music career will be under the Cowell umbrella.

So why would he give a toss about "his boys" and/or one of "his" artists winning the show? That bit is all a load of nonsense, is it not?

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
So why would he give a toss about "his boys" and/or one of "his" artists winning the show? That bit is all a load of nonsense, is it not?

I've thought that for a while. Why's he so bothered, then I realised it's all for tele (as are the arguments during and after the show, the bullying during the selection bit at the start of the series i.e. laughing at people who clearly aren't quite all there, then the crying bits of "I've had such a hard life and i'm doing it for my kids, or my brothers kids"). It's all great tele, and is pulling in the public to watch. That is the sad society we live in, we find entertainment at the whole Chav thing. But there's something for everyone. Some of us like the arguments, some of us like the laughing at people who are in-apt, some of us like being judges of the singers (even though they're usually much better and have more balls than us).

I think when Simon Cowell smiles he's smiling because he knows he's hit the jackpot with tele ratings and income, and can't really lose. He's a top money maker and I respect him for that. Even more so cause he has a Brighton connection.....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've thought that for a while. Why's he so bothered, then I realised it's all for tele

Exactly - the whole wanting "one of my lot" to win the show is just part of the whole big pantomime isn't it? I really don't think that Cowell cares whether one of "his boys" wins the show or not, certainly not to the extent of trying to manufacture the exclusion of someone who he thinks is good.

He is, of course, happy to try and manufacture a continuing PR frenzy around the show, and he's hit the jackpot there.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
He is, of course, happy to try and manufacture a continuing PR frenzy around the show, and he's hit the jackpot there.

Not if there are many people out there like me, thinking "well f*** that for entertainment, it's just a complete farce." I have no interest in the rest of the series, and losing viewers is not what I think he's trying to do here.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Exactly - the whole wanting "one of my lot" to win the show is just part of the whole big pantomime isn't it? I really don't think that Cowell cares whether one of "his boys" wins the show or not, certainly not to the extent of trying to manufacture the exclusion of someone who he thinks is good.

I totally agree and that's why I think he's got that constant smirk on his face coz he's quids in and life is good for Mr Cowell. It's all manufactured in an American cheesy t.v. kinda way. I remember people used to say we're 10 years behind the yanks, watch what they do, and in ten years that'll be the u.k. and I think the XFactor is proof of that.

Having said that I never thought Brits would fall for this sort of cheesyness, but maybe it's been a slow transition to soften us up. Mary Whitehouse would be turning in her grave.

I think it's actually more entertaining to see people taken in by it all and think it's all for real.

Great tele, and I think Simon is a top bloke. especially being a Brightonian.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not if there are many people out there like me, thinking "well f*** that for entertainment, it's just a complete farce." I have no interest in the rest of the series, and losing viewers is not what I think he's trying to do here.

There is a lot of indignation being shown on Twitter, to the point of X Factor being something like 6 or 7 of the trending topics last night, but I bet most of those folk will be back to watch the next instalments this weekend.

And then there are people like me who have started to watch recently because of this whole Jedward-gate thing. If they were out, I'd have no interest in watching the show. Because, let's face it, the other people left in the show are about as interesting as horse-shit.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth

Precisely. Its John Sargent all over again, except its a ho-ha for people who have a fight down Yates wine lodge and shop in Poundstretcher rather than those who munch cheese boards and drink Chablis.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
There is a lot of indignation being shown on Twitter, to the point of X Factor being something like 6 or 7 of the trending topics last night, but I bet most of those folk will be back to watch the next instalments this weekend.

And then there are people like me who have started to watch recently because of this whole Jedward-gate thing. If they were out, I'd have no interest in watching the show. Because, let's face it, the other people left in the show are about as interesting as horse-shit.

Each to their own. I thought I was watching a talent show, and although the acts you get left with are very media-friendly, homogenous product type pop singers, you are watching the journey, seeing the talent grow, and at the end of the day you are left with some very good singers.

But suddenly it's all about who gets the most media headlines for being in the show. Well, if that's the criteria, then Maxine Carr should enter as she could win the thing.

Thought it was a talent show, not a competition to get the most media headlines. The chuckle brothers can't sing, or dance, and up until now their existence in the show seemed to be around Louie being Irish and the vaguaries of the public vote. But if this is the sort of act that Cowell actually WANTS then I've mis-understood the show, and have no interest in watching it again.

Tell me who wins, I hope it's Danyl, but I won't be watching.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I totally agree and that's why I think he's got that constant smirk on his face coz he's quids in and life is good for Mr Cowell. It's all manufactured in an American cheesy t.v. kinda way. I remember people used to say we're 10 years behind the yanks, watch what they do, and in ten years that'll be the u.k. and I think the XFactor is proof of that.

Having said that I never thought Brits would fall for this sort of cheesyness, but maybe it's been a slow transition to soften us up. Mary Whitehouse would be turning in her grave.

I think it's actually more entertaining to see people taken in by it all and think it's all for real.

Great tele, and I think Simon is a top bloke. especially being a Brightonian.

Actually, you've got that arse-about-face.

This sort of stuff, at least this format, is a British invention. Simon Cowell's real fortune is not from what he's done here, but the silly amount of millions he's made by taking the format and flogging it over there. The Americans are, of course, lapping it up.

The reality shows we're being bombarded with are considered a British invention over in America, and they constantly look here for the 'next big reality show'.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I like how he wears his jumpers, and his half crew cut/middle parting combo is very fashionable this winter.

A style icon, Steve McQueen has nothing on him

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
[
Each to their own. I thought I was watching a talent show, and although the acts you get left with are very media-friendly, homogenous product type pop singers, you are watching the journey, seeing the talent grow, and at the end of the day you are left with some very good singers.

It is. But it's surrounded by a lot of media and chav type nonsense imo.

All the arguments and press headlines are completely put on.

Also, watching the auditions is disgracefull sometimes. They are there so that we can laugh at some of these people. When I thought about it, I realised it was wrong to make tele out of people who have disabilities in one way or another. Then, there's always a sob story about someones hard life getting to the show. Lots of fancy music, etc, etc. It's well done, USA styley tele.
I still watch it though. Find the whole thing hillarious.

Last edited:

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Actually, you've got that arse-about-face.

This sort of stuff, at least this format, is a British invention. Simon Cowell's real fortune is not from what he's done here, but the silly amount of millions he's made by taking the format and flogging it over there. The Americans are, of course, lapping it up.

The reality shows we're being bombarded with are considered a British invention over in America, and they constantly look here for the 'next big reality show'.

Yeah I agree, but that's not what I meant. Mis-understanding I think ( I should be clearer).

The typical sort of presentation is USA imo. The arguments on show, the press spin. It's just like one of those USa chat shows.

Disagree completely Bozza

SC does not want a female winner this year - fact! The reason being they have already had 2 on the trot and the last thing he wants is a variation of the same thing.

He had better female singers in his final 6 and discarded all 3.

He also has a bigger ego that almost anyone on the planet and he DOES want to be the winning mentor.

His comments are carefully designed to undermine the opposition and he knows exactly what he is doing.

I know he will make millions however the show goes but he craves untimate control and power and gets off by being the 'almighty' Simon Cowell and delights in the minions around him groveling at his feet.

I agree with others and will not watch anymore of the Simon Cowell 'Show'.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
if you are going to be a **** then you may as well be a very rich and successful one. Many people do it for nothing.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Just you've JUST realised it's about money not talent? :wozza:

If it were about talent, they'd go and steal the band from Strictly come dancing, who are absolutely amazing (singers are superb). There's plenty of talent around, without do auditions in every major city in Britain to find them. Most true talent is probably known in the industry.

Most of the singers on XFactor are cr@p. They're better than me, but in general would not get beyond a pub circuit. I think Danyl is an exception, as he looks professional in every aspect, as did Leona Lewis. But the rest aren't really all that imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here