Sid well signs.....good or bad news?

Sidwell. ..good or bad?

• Good

Votes: 206 86.9%
  • Bad

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Meh

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Hope we can do a lot better and he is just back up !

Votes: 21 8.9%

• Total voters

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I don't think anyone has forgotten Richie Towell, he will have plenty of opportunity to impress next season I should think. If Stephens, Kayal, Towell and Sidwell are our MF options then I think we're covered in that department. Maybe a young player (Cousins?) to replace JFC/Ince and we're set.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Meh.

My overriding memory of his performances last season were that at his best, he didn't do notably better than Crofts on his good days. I see that some people have put his failure to break into the first team on the good form of Kayal/Stephens. I remember there being a few games where they didn't perform that well, giving Hughton the perfect opportunity to put Sidwell in, but he wasn't performing well enough to dislodge a temporarily underperforming Stephens or Kayal.

The question for me then becomes, how much of that is down to a lack of match practice - he lacked game time when he joined us, and when he got a bit more time on the pitch, he did improve - and how much of it is down to him being on the downward slope of his late career?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Meh.

My overriding memory of his performances last season were that at his best, he didn't do notably better than Crofts on his good days. I see that some people have put his failure to break into the first team on the good form of Kayal/Stephens. I remember there being a few games where they didn't perform that well, giving Hughton the perfect opportunity to put Sidwell in, but he wasn't performing well enough to dislodge a temporarily underperforming Stephens or Kayal.

The question for me then becomes, how much of that is down to a lack of match practice - he lacked game time when he joined us, and when he got a bit more time on the pitch, he did improve - and how much of it is down to him being on the downward slope of his late career?

Hasn't played much football in the last five years so I reckon he has plenty left in the tank. We shall see.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
You forgot to mention Experience, you obviously did not see his last games for us.

Ok fair enough but this guy is 33yrs old good in his day and I can see why Chris has signed him but he's no Mr Barton as someone quoted me last night!

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Meh.

At last someone who is seeing a bit of sense! :thumbsup:

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Ok fair enough but I'm looking long term these players were short term!

I understand that. But Sideell is just a 1 year deal. If cousins or another young player was also added to Kayal and Stephens then he's a good signing. Experienced and as his later games showed for us he is good enough to hold his own at this level

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
I understand that. But Sideell is just a 1 year deal. If cousins or another young player was also added to Kayal and Stephens then he's a good signing. Experienced and as his later games showed for us he is good enough to hold his own at this level

Yes but you are taking the view that Kayal or Stephens aren't sold It would certainly change my train of thought if this turned out to be untrue! I am hoping for the best like all Albion supporters!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Bad for me that is sending a poor message yet again our decent players will be sold to balance the books another relegation battle season ffs Bloom!
What an odd comment.

Tony has gone on record as saying he is aiming for top 2 this year. He hasn't ever publically set such a high target before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here