Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sick pay

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If the system is there why not use it from time to time, Companies are happy to take the piss out of their workers so why not give a bit back.

Quite.

Companies these days want blood for their money. No harm in a few days bonus leave. Key things are

-dont have the worst sick record in the office
-dont stitch colleagues up so take sick day when full cover in
-build it up ie mope about the day before a sick day and remember to mope the day you return
-avoid being seen on said sick day
-If taking more than 1 day, update social networking sites with a status to reflect how ill you are , get a mate to back it up with a comment or 2

No harm in that at all

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
Quite.

Companies these days want blood for their money. No harm in a few days bonus leave. Key things are

-build it up ie mope about the day before a sick day and remember to mope the day you return
-If taking more than 1 day, update social networking sites with a status to reflect how ill you are , get a mate to back it up with a comment or 2

No harm in that at all

Hope you don't work for a finance company - that could be treated as fraud, and instant dismissal without any need for warnings. ;-)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Fair play.

Why though, will it really help in the long run ?

Depends what sort of company you work for. If it's public sector, then it's unlikely to make any difference other than to give you a clear conscience. In a private company, taking very few sick days over a long period of time doesn't go unnoticed by the management and will count in your favour with regards to promotion and/or pay rises. It also gives you a reputation. A few years back, a sick note that had previously worked with me made an application to the company that I was working for at the time. He apparently interviewed well enough to get the job, but when one of the interviewers asked my opinion about him (I wasn't on the interview panel), I told them about his ability to catch every bug going. He didn't get a job offer.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
In Australia you start a job with no sick leave or annual leave. You gain so many hours a week. Less for sick. For example, i have about 15 days sick accumilated now. If i leave my job i start from scratch. Many do see it as leave but this really back fires if they then get sick. I think it strikes a good balance.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
If someone's letting down their work mates by not pulling their weight then that for me is an issue.

However I couldn't care less if a company pays them for a handful of days when they pull a sickie as long as they are doing their share when at work.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I certainly wouldn't advocate this.
If you're genuinely ill, and would be paid your full pay while off sick, I see no sense in taking it as holiday instead - that is what the sick pay is intended for.
If you "struggle in", do you risk passing on an illness to a colleague or two so that they have to go off sick too? That's not doing your employer any favours at all.

Of course, if you're self-employed, or get a reduced sick rate (or even none if hourly-paid or contracting), then that raises other issues (eg, can you AFFORD to be off sick).
Customers spluttering , sneezing and coughing over you at the checkouts means picking up colds and flu like viruses which have to be coped with. I only have a part time hourly paid contract and do another 12 hours a week on single rate overtime. Going off sick would lead to a 4 or 6 weeks overtime ban. I used to qualify for working tax credits but because my wife is now drawing her pensions our joint income is above the threshold and I can no longer claim WTC.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Quite.

No harm in that at all

One thing I'd add to that list is never take just one day off sick at a time, It's too obvious and there's very few illnesses that last for just one day. Anywhere between 3 and 7 days and nobody questioned it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
One thing I'd add to that list is never take just one day off sick at a time, It's too obvious and there's very few illnesses that last for just one day. Anywhere between 3 and 7 days and nobody questioned it.

Chrronic Migraine is a good one for a singular day.

Make sure from day one you let anyone that will listen that you occasionally suffer from bad migraines to tee this up.

Otherwise I agree , 2nd day is essential to convince of the illness.

Research as well. You will always get someone cross examining when you return.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I dont see whats appalling about it, as long as you don't take the piss or leave your work mates in the lurch then there's nothing wrong with having a bit of extra leave each year.

I'm glad you don't work for me.

Basically you expect to be paid, when you're not at work, and there's nothing wrong with you?

I find that by being generous when people really ARE ill, they don't take the piss when they are fit and well.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'm glad you don't work for me.

Basically you expect to be paid, when you're not at work, and there's nothing wrong with you?

I find that by being generous when people really ARE ill, they don't take the piss when they are fit and well.

Sick of work

Well known illness

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I do believe it's common is the US to have a sick quota per year which can be taken as hol if not used for sickness. I could be wrong, but I thought it was true.

That’s correct, but you still have to pretend it's for sickness which is a bit of a farce! Working for a British company I’m on 4 weeks vacation, I was on 6 when I left the UK. A lot of British outfits do tend to offer 4 weeks as they recruit from the UK. US companies do try and keep it at 2 weeks but that is changing slowly as more Americans see what their counterparts are getting in Europe.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Exactly. You can't sack someone for being sick. If they carry out the rest of the job proficiently it is impossible to get rid of them.

Errrr I think you can and I have before...employees taking the piss can be....shall we say exited, no question!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003

Good job you don't work for me, everything wrong with britain is displayed here

Last edited:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Have to remember though that it's normal practice in the US to get only 2 weeks leave a year.

Normal white-collar or skilled-trades practice. Elsewhere -- bupkis.

No state has a requirement for any leave; no state has a requirement for any sick time. Ditto federal law. Family-care and parental leave is mandated but unpaid. Who needs leave when we're awash in Freedom™?

(Freedom™ is a registered trademark of the Republican National Committee. Used with permission. All rights reserved.)

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Is Dougal (above) a professional skiver/slacker? He seems to know all the tips and tricks of how to pull a sicky (a facebook note with friends "confirming" indeed! :D).

Personally, I think it's up the individual how they behave and if they get "caught", so be it. Just remember when your company has to make one or two redundancies due to these slackers (that will ALWAYS deny that their skiving has any affect on the business not being as money-making as it should be). They will also often be first in line when those above them want to get rid of people.

Personally I find it bizarre that so many companies "allow" this sort of thing (I suspect most are wither public sector or are sizeable and brush it under the carpet as it's messy to get involved), I'd not want to work in that environment that almost encourages slackers. Breing in a small company, it would be very noticable as there is more of a direct outcome to my work (or lack of if I was a skiver).

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Is Dougal (above) a professional skiver/slacker? He seems to know all the tips and tricks of how to pull a sicky (a facebook note with friends "confirming" indeed! :D).

Personally, I think it's up the individual how they behave and if they get "caught", so be it. Just remember when your company has to make one or two redundancies due to these slackers (that will ALWAYS deny that their skiving has any affect on the business not being as money-making as it should be). They will also often be first in line when those above them want to get rid of people.

Personally I find it bizarre that so many companies "allow" this sort of thing (I suspect most are wither public sector or are sizeable and brush it under the carpet as it's messy to get involved), I'd not want to work in that environment that almost encourages slackers. Breing in a small company, it would be very noticable as there is more of a direct outcome to my work (or lack of if I was a skiver).

As mentioned earlier its all about having a better record than your colleagues. I work where the sickness record is shocking so few days off is not even blinked at. Not to mention the numerous days off people get due to their kids being ill / going somewhere etc etc. Seems to be a few days as a given in itself

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Quite.

No harm in that at all

I assume you are just :fishing:

If not you clearly don't have any respect for your employers. I hope they sack you!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Quite.

No harm in that at all

Companies want blood these days, what are you on?

Companies have to pamper their employee's these days. Christ there was a debate on radio last week to whether companies should give compassionate leave for pets dying,ffs. It really is no wonder the country is in the shit.

You get paid to work, not bunking off. Incredible attitude you don't deserve a job.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not to mention the numerous days off people get due to their kids being ill. Seems to be a few days as a given in itself

Parents are untitled to (unpaid) leave from work, if their children are sick, and need care. It is nothing at all like your wanton malingering, and I find the comparison offensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here