Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sick pay

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
It may depend where you work, but all the companies I've worked for, if they have an issue with your sick leave, before the can get rid of you, they have to monitor you, give you warnings etc, make you prove it, or possibly send you to one of the companies doctors. It's certainly harder now that it used to be.

Agreed, but the majority of companies I know, and certainly all the companies I've worked for have a process to follow. As long as you stick to that it can be fairly straight forward. My experience is that once you deal with one, the rest fall in line and generally don't take the p***

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Have to remember though that it's normal practice in the US to get only 2 weeks leave a year.

That certainly used to be the case, I'm not so sure it is any more. I've worked for a few US companies, although in the UK, and the holiday policy tends to be the same there and here.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Agreed, but the majority of companies I know, and certainly all the companies I've worked for have a process to follow. As long as you stick to that it can be fairly straight forward. My experience is that once you deal with one, the rest fall in line and generally don't take the p***

Indeed. As long as people with real sickness aren't penalised, that's fine.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
but we all take sickies right ?

If I have had a period of 5 or 6 months with good health I will chuck in a 2 day sickie. Adding up to average of 2/4 days sick a year

Some people I work with are already in double figures for sick days

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008

If I have had a period of 5 or 6 months with good health I will chuck in a 2 day sickie. Adding up to average of 2/4 days sick a year

I haven't had a day off sick since 1999!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Nope, unless absoutely unavoidable.

D

Deleted member 18477

No I never do. Could hinder any promotions (internal) in the future. Anyone taking on someone new loves to see minimal sick which is why I haven't had a day off sick in 5 years!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
When I first started at Post Office Telephones (it became British Telecommunications a month later) everything revolved around rules and regulations still in force even thought the Post Office had split from the Civil Service in 1969. Annual leave was split between summer and winter and allocated on a rotational basis , so unless you could do a mutual swap you accepted what was given. In addition to annual leave entitlement you could take up to 12 "Whitley" days off during the year as "sickies" which were recorded and only taken into account for disciplinary purposes if you went over the limit or a period of long term sick. After BT was privatised in 1984 the majority of "custom and practice" from the old days was eliminated , "Whitleys" went out the window to be replaced by self certification and the number of days taken uncertificated before disciplinary action was invoked brought down from 12 to 7 over a 12 month rolling period.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

I've been at Adsa for 6 years and haven't had a day off sick , there have been occasions where I have been really ill and managed to take a day as a holiday or gone into work and struggled for an hour before being sent home with the managers seeing I am actually unwell.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I've been at Adsa for 6 years and haven't had a day off sick , there have been occasions where I have been really ill and managed to take a day as a holiday or gone into work and struggled for an hour before being sent home with the managers seeing I am actually unwell.

Fair play.

Why though, will it really help in the long run ?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
With regards to the OP, in most jobs these days, having "sick pay" is becoming rarer and rarer. A hell of a lot of companies now just don't pay you if your off sick for less than 5 working days, and if your off for longer all you are entitled to is SSP, which is £80 odd quid a week. Still, it's marginally better than being on the rock and roll, so at the moment I'm grateful for the marginality!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Perhaps it's a case of having morals and principles. The fact that people think its acceptable to throw a sickie when they're not actually I'll is, in my opinion appalling

I dont see whats appalling about it, as long as you don't take the piss or leave your work mates in the lurch then there's nothing wrong with having a bit of extra leave each year.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I dont see whats appalling about it, as long as you don't take the piss or leave your work mates in the lurch then there's nothing wrong with having a bit of extra leave each year.

That says a lot about you,then I would say, it's not a whole lot different from tax avoidance.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury

Taking "sick leave" when you're not really sick IS taking the piss.

I've also heard of people who will go into work when they are ill purely to "save up" their sick allowance so that they can "throw a sicky" when their CHILDREN are ill. Again, that is ridiculous - particularly if you end up passing on the illness to colleagues who then also have to take time off sick.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Pleased you don't work for me with that attitude

If the system is there why not use it from time to time, Companies are happy to take the piss out of their workers so why not give a bit back.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury

I certainly wouldn't advocate this.
If you're genuinely ill, and would be paid your full pay while off sick, I see no sense in taking it as holiday instead - that is what the sick pay is intended for.
If you "struggle in", do you risk passing on an illness to a colleague or two so that they have to go off sick too? That's not doing your employer any favours at all.

Of course, if you're self-employed, or get a reduced sick rate (or even none if hourly-paid or contracting), then that raises other issues (eg, can you AFFORD to be off sick).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here