Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the UK abandon the minimum wage

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think it's valid that at some point the politicians should have the option of freezing or even lowering the minimum wage as well as raising it. Theoretically, like. Political suicide to be sure, though the option should remain. But any serious business plan that doesn't build in the minimum wage as a given should be sent to sit in the corner and think about what its business planned :dunce:
Didn't Pres Bush freeze the minimum wage in the US ? I dont think it has been increased for around 8 years.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I thought the no-people rule applies only to Euro banknotes?

Originally, the tipped-worker minimum wage was 60% of the regular minimum wage, but back in the '80's the two became un-coupled.

Tipped workers are supposed to be topped off, if their tips fall short, up to the Federal minimum, but this is widely ignored, and enforcement is negligible. (Many of my students have such jobs -- this is a touristy area -- and most have never heard of this requirement in the law.)

States can over-ride the ridiculous tipped-employees Federal minimum, and seven require the Federal minimum before tips, mostly out west: Alaska, California, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.

A dozen or so other states require higher minimum pre-tip hourly wages, but not the full Federal minimum.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here