Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the UK abandon the minimum wage

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If it was'nt for the unions and a few threats of strike action by members the railway pensions would be in a far bigger mess than they already are. I just hope there's something left in the pot for me when I retire.

Aren't you employed by Network Rail who let new starters join the RPS ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It was only the threat of strike action that forced them into it, They tried to stop new members joining.

Personally I would find that annoying though, why can't someone who joins my company and works on a Railway contract join the RPS then ?

They can't simple as that which is why our little "pension pot" just sees itself out to zero and no-one has joined since privatisation.

Why do NR staff dodge the benefit in kind on travel as purporting to be a TOC, as I have to pay this ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Get rid of the NMW and employers will exploit the situation to the full. £5.73 p.h. is still too low to maintain a decent standard of living and dignity. The people who work on NMW and have no savings get a top up in the form of tax credits. The scroungers and workshy will never end up working if the NMW is scrapped as they will increasingly turn to burglary and shoplifting rather than doing a shitty job for £4 p.h.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Get rid of the NMW and employers will exploit the situation to the full. £5.73 p.h. is still too low to maintain a decent standard of living and dignity.

Quite. We're supposed to be an affluent European country, not some kind of third-world sweatshop.

Shame it takes government legislation to stop employers taking the piss. But there you go :shrug:

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Quite. We're supposed to be an affluent European country, not some kind of third-world sweatshop.

Shame it takes government legislation to stop employers taking the piss. But there you go :shrug:

You wouldn't be saying this is GLENN MURRAY was in the Ral Pension Scheme Tom :thumbsup:

A Happy New Year to all NSC'ers and your nearest and dearest.
Remember, that despite our daily binfests, we all have a common love in the Albion, so here is to some memorable moments on and off the field for 2009.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
f*** off!!

Tell me you are joking??? PLEASE!!!!

Yep I'm joking. Just lit the fuse and retired for my evening meal.

btpmain.png

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Come on Tories, where are you, stand up and be counted.

You lot opposed the minimum wage in the first place so nows your chance to blame the low paid for all the problems and justify scrapping it.

Speak up - :tumble:

Tory Bastard here.:thumbsup:

I also say no.

The problem isn't the minimum wage itself, the worry was that labour would keep jacking it up to the point that it would stifle job creation and lead to a loss of jobs.

I would say that Labour have avoided doing that and allthough jobs that are labour intensive have gone overseas their is little or no evidence this wouldn't have happened anyway.

All wealthier countries have seen jobs migrate to the third world.

There is one caveat.

Wereas the old wages council tackled low pay sectors the minimum wage does the same thing and has exemptions, so is not that different.

The period when I think it would need to be reigned in a bit is durring a recovery from a deep recession as it would reduce initial start up and investment costs for new businesses. So that exemption needs to be added for new businesses, it probably wont be.

Its one of the reasons why Europe has had higher unemployment than the UK and USA due to something called Hysterisis Unemployment.

This is were the supply side shrinks due to shrinking demand during a ressesion, but when demand recovers the supply side doesn't, or doesn't recover as well. There are quite a few reasons for this, this is one of them.

You could say that the minimum wage effect in the Uk hasn't really been tested yet.

:)

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
Minimum wage should be raised to £10 ph. That's not the issue. MAXIMUM wage should be circa £50, 000 p.a, any extra taxed at 95%. All extra revenue thus gained put into health, education, social housing and other pressing community issues. Anyone who moans about this should be made to support Palace.
Happy New Year.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The period when I think it would need to be reigned in a bit is durring a recovery from a deep recession as it would reduce initial start up and investment costs for new businesses. So that exemption needs to be added for new businesses, it probably wont be.

I cannot think of any 'new business' that would need to employ people for below minimum wage - generally during a startup phase you need extremely talented people; none of which are going to talk to you for anywhere close to minimum wage.

Businesses in certain sectors in a growth phase might get benefits from their being no minimum; but said sectors should be covered by exemptions as it is.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I cannot think of any 'new business' that would need to employ people for below minimum wage - generally during a startup phase you need extremely talented people; none of which are going to talk to you for anywhere close to minimum wage.

this on principle alone is absolute rubbish, ceo's and directors to start with get share options they can cash in the future based on the idea they can share in the future sucess there talents will bring. A lot of employers pay a lower rate for a trial period which is based on the same idea, this by definition applies to new businesses.

I wouldn't mind starting work for a small business below minimum wage if theres a structure that i am well rewarded for future success.

The government pays cash to firms to take on the long term unemployed, why not give them an exemption instead or as well?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
this on principle alone is absolute rubbish, ceo's and directors to start with get share options they can cash in the future based on the idea they can share in the future sucess there talents will bring. A lot of employers pay a lower rate for a trial period which is based on the same idea, this by definition applies to new businesses.

I wouldn't mind starting work for a small business below minimum wage if theres a structure that i am well rewarded for future success.

The government pays cash to firms to take on the long term unemployed, why not give them an exemption instead or as well?

Since when are company owners obliged to pay themselves minimum wage? They're not. When a firm starts to hire people beyond their founders they're going to have to pay them proper money, simple as. It may be less than what they'll get in a few years but the firm is successful but if you think you can hire any skilled employee for less than minimum wage, you're delusional.

Also, the long term unemployed are not going to work for less than minimum wage; seeing as minimum wage as it is is usually a step down in total value from the benefits they receive - and if they did, any shortfall will have to be made up by the state in benefits.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yep let's keep the red flag flying high as New Labour bankrupt the UK.

I fear for you younger people as you will pay for the mis-management all of your lives.

.....in the same way we're paying for the Thatcher years with the breakdown of society, greed and selfishness?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
.....in the same way we're paying for the Thatcher years with the breakdown of society, greed and selfishness?

Yes that's the one, New Labour copied down to a tee

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Copied every policy and more and made the fatal error of releasing the Bank of England out on their own but as usual Labour go blind and deaf quite often these days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Copied every policy and more and made the fatal error of releasing the Bank of England out on their own but as usual Labour go blind and deaf quite often these days.

Can you be a bit more specific about copying every policy? This is a very vague, tired and broad statement often associated with pub bores who have little economic understanding beyond the Queen's head on a coin.

As discussed in another thread the minimum wage was a fundamental policy and it wasnt a Tory policy. Infact they opposed it.

Handing over the Bank of England was the correct thing to do. It is now run by economic means and economic democracy and is not subject to potential political abuse. I think the BoE have done a good job. One could argue that they left the interest rate drop too late....but that is just opinion. I think they got it just right.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The wage will stay of that i have no problem.......its the taxing of i feel devalues the payment and then begs the question of taxation of the lower paid ,a much bigger issue !!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here