Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the UK abandon the minimum wage

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Surely its time for the free market to take over and save the burden on employers paying the existing minimum wage.

Alfred the greatx

Cake anyone, bit overdone
Jun 15, 2008
Surely its time for the free market to take over and save the burden on employers paying the existing minimum wage.

You can't be serious, that would lead to peoples wages dropping like a stone with no evidence that it would create one single extra vacancy.
Low wages are bad for an economy as the recipient has no disposable income, cant get a mortgage, spend money in pubs, go on holiday in fact, cant buy anything but the basics at Lidl.

If you want to unburden companies from massive wage bills have a clear out of the overpaid directors, if the company is struggling it's a hell of a lot more their fault than the security guard and it would save a lot more than making the cleaner take home a quid an hour.

Absolutely not.

The organisation that I work for used to pay the national minimum wage to some members of staff. Since we upped the rate to something that was closer to a level that properly recognised that they contributed something of real value to the firm, there has been a massive improvement in their attitude to the job.

The old thinking that staff can and should be employed for the absolute minimum can be very damaging. Getting rid of the national minimum wage would make things even worse.

The incentive for the organisation to achieve more income to cover costs also brings benefits all round.

Would that be so they can revert back to paying as little as possible like they used to? The minimum wage is there for a reason-wonder who opposed its set up in the first place?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The US has had both state and federal minimum wages since the '30's (The federal minimum is a floor -- the states may have higher individual minima.)

The issue has been studied numerous times over here -- consensus: a minimum wage has little if any effect on employment numbers.

Things may be different in the UK, but I understand the minimum wage there is a recent development, so there may be no corresponding track record.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Bankers and their ilk, operating fully in acordance with the amoral principles of the free market (to which New Labour shamefully turned a blind eye) have precipitated the current financial crisis, so let's attack the lowest paid in order to put things right !

Same old Tory response when their beloved free market goes tits-up - blame and attack ordinary working people. Same fascistic psychology - pick on the weakest and scapegoat them.

When things go well, heap plaudits and bonuses on those at the top; when things go wrong, slash wages and cut jobs at the bottom end.

Incidentally, if the free market can no longer afford the minimum wage, presumably free marketeers will similarly demand an end to unaffordable multi-million pound salaries for tycoons and captains of industry?

Of course, not - we'll be told they need their obscene salaries in order to remain internationally competitive, and stop them emigrating. In which case, good f****g riddance to these rich blackmailing bullies who are always trying to hold us to ransom.

Their arrogance in assuming that America or wherever would want or need their services is staggering, yet they always pull this stunt as a means of boosting their already excessive salaries.

Funny how the free market works by trying to hold down wages at the bottom end, but demands no limits on 'earnings' whatsoever at the top.

Of course, what Tories and their kind mean by the free market determining high salaries is really the old pals network on remuneration panels: you support my massive salary increase, old chap, and I'll return the favour when it's your turn. There is no 'invisible hand' of the free market; the rules are operated by those who benefit most from the system, except that recently, they've over-played their hand.

Hence WE must pay the price for THEIR greed and stupidity.

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Here endeth my last rant of 2008.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Absolutely not, there are plenty of people on benefits who argue that they would be worse off if they were working, removing the minimum wage would only add weight to their argument...because it would probably be true, if it isn't already.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No. I 100% support the minimum wage.

Alfred the greatx

Cake anyone, bit overdone
Jun 15, 2008
Come on Tories, where are you, stand up and be counted.

You lot opposed the minimum wage in the first place so nows your chance to blame the low paid for all the problems and justify scrapping it.

Speak up - :tumble:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
In fact, if the minimum wage gets more people in work and paying tax...rather than sponging off it...then it is very hard to argue against it...unless you are incredibly stupid.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yep let's keep the red flag flying high as New Labour bankrupt the UK.

I fear for you younger people as you will pay for the mis-management all of your lives.

Higham Seagull Army

May 5, 2008
northants
Bankers and their ilk, operating fully in acordance with the amoral principles of the free market (to which New Labour shamefully turned a blind eye) have precipitated the current financial crisis, so let's attack the lowest paid in order to put things right !

Same old Tory response when their beloved free market goes tits-up - blame and attack ordinary working people. Same fascistic psychology - pick on the weakest and scapegoat them.

When things go well, heap plaudits and bonuses on those at the top; when things go wrong, slash wages and cut jobs at the bottom end.

Incidentally, if the free market can no longer afford the minimum wage, presumably free marketeers will similarly demand an end to unaffordable multi-million pound salaries for tycoons and captains of industry?

Of course, not - we'll be told they need their obscene salaries in order to remain internationally competitive, and stop them emigrating. In which case, good f****g riddance to these rich blackmailing bullies who are always trying to hold us to ransom.

Their arrogance in assuming that America or wherever would want or need their services is staggering, yet they always pull this stunt as a means of boosting their already excessive salaries.

Funny how the free market works by trying to hold down wages at the bottom end, but demands no limits on 'earnings' whatsoever at the top.

Of course, what Tories and their kind mean by the free market determining high salaries is really the old pals network on remuneration panels: you support my massive salary increase, old chap, and I'll return the favour when it's your turn. There is no 'invisible hand' of the free market; the rules are operated by those who benefit most from the system, except that recently, they've over-played their hand.

Hence WE must pay the price for THEIR greed and stupidity.

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Here endeth my last rant of 2008.

well said that man ,excellent response to a really stupid idea ,i was just going to emphasize the point as you did that the right will always lay the blame with the lower paid and the immigrants for our economic decline ,when the real culprits are at the other end of the scale.

Mar 13, 2008
f*** off!!

Tell me you are joking??? PLEASE!!!!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Usual Tory bollocks; those at the bottom have to price themselves into jobs and those at the top need to be offered massive financial incentives to entice them to sprinkle their magic fairy dust over the economy (as they have been doing so successfully lately).

Just a question related to the minimum wage. I am a 20-year-old student and currently getting paid £5.05 in my job. Is this illegal?
Sadly ... no.

From HM Revenue Customs:National Minimum Wage

What are the current rates of the national minimum wage?

There are three levels of minimum wage, and the rates from 1 October 2008 are:

£5.73 per hour for workers aged 22 years and older
A development rate of £4.77 per hour for workers aged 18-21 inclusive
£3.53 per hour for all workers under the age of 18, who are no longer of compulsory school age

The US has had both state and federal minimum wages since the '30's (The federal minimum is a floor -- the states may have higher individual minima.)

The issue has been studied numerous times over here -- consensus: a minimum wage has little if any effect on employment numbers.

Things may be different in the UK, but I understand the minimum wage there is a recent development, so there may be no corresponding track record.

Nice though, to be able to employ Mexicans and Guatemalans, Nicaraguans and El Salvadorians for half the normal rate - just enough so they can eat and survive, and get to work. Slave labour, hmmmm! :clap:

Oh....and someone thinks we ought to do that here?
o-kay, lemme see now..... Polish, Lithuanians, Philippines ..... all doing the labour....no English working in construction, kitchens, care homes, post office, farms, many other trades...... and Brits all in the lap of dole luxury!
Bring it on, it's genius!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here