Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the supporters bar be called Dick's Bar?

What should the supporters bar be called?

• Dick's Bar

Votes: 100 61.0%
  • Harry's Bar

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Knight's Bar

Votes: 40 24.4%
  • Something else (please state)

Votes: 23 14.0%

• Total voters

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Cant say i'm that keen on the name I think "Knights Bar" or even "Dicks Inn" sounds better.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Its his name. Its also irony - we get the gay stuff thrown at us so we embrace it, and we've had a lot of songs over the years embracing that irony and enjoyed winding up repressed northern clubs' fans over it. Plus, as pointed out elsewhere, its a play on Rick's cafe in Casablanca.

There you go, three reasons why its called Dick's Bar, that's pretty clever in my book.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Actually, I'm indifferent towards it. I'm just (inwardly) laughing at all you poor insecure souls who can't handle your own sexuality issues.

'Oh no, we're going to be called poofs - that's so f***ing embarrassing' etc. :facepalm:
I don't think it's anything to do with sexuality issues. I just think it's quite funny in that I can make a load of childish knob gags. You might think that's a bit immature at 54 and frankly you've got a point, but it makes me laugh.

On a slightly more serious issue some fans do have a problem with what they perceive to be the homophobic abuse we get. Surely you can accept that this has given away fans a bit more ammunition to 'stoke the fire' as it were? Again, that doesn't worry me, I don't mind all the "does your boyfriend know your here?" stuff, I find it at best a bit of banter and at worst tediously boring, but I know some think it should be banned. Again I don't think their objections are anything to do with their repressed sexuality but because they consider it to be offensive.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Nothing really to add as TLO has said it all.

I'm gob-smacked that fans are embarrassed about it ??
And the comment above stating "blush at the very thought of horrible people singing "Does your boyfriend know you're here?" edit to say, it very nearly went over my head that one, but managed to save it whilst typing.:LOL: it makes me laugh every time, along witb we can see you holding hand.

Dick wants it, its his choice. Dicks bar it is.
I have no problem with it, then I do like girls.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Dick Knight is responsible for ensuring the Supporters' Bar was created. He was asked to come up with a name. He did.

That's good enough for me.

Dick Knight did not come up with the name Dick's Bar but although he had other suggestions he was happy to accept it. The interesting thing about the 'Harry's Bar' suggestion is that Harry is actually Dick Knight's first name.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I don't think it's anything to do with sexuality issues. I just think it's quite funny in that I can make a load of childish knob gags. You might think that's a bit immature at 54 and frankly you've got a point, but it makes me laugh

A good knob gag is a thing of joy. Let's hope this encourages a lot more.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Dick Knight did not come up with the name Dick's Bar but although he had other suggestions he was happy to accept it. The interesting thing about the 'Harry's Bar' suggestion is that Harry is actually Dick Knight's first name.

That's incorrect, Dick was asked what he wanted it to be called. he chose Dicks Bar. when told later at the potential homophobic slant he was completely oblivious at the potential for ridicule.
and rightly so.

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
I can see both sides of the argument here. I dont think its the greatest name in the world, but like others have posted previously, its Dick's choice, he is the reason we have a club to support who can provide a bar for us to drink in, therefore he can call it whatever he likes. The glorious Mecca of football that this bar resides in has already been coined the Gaymex, so who cares what the bar is called. If you cant take the jokes & the banter, dont go to football games.

Will the patrons of Dick's Bar go by the unofficial tag of Knight Riders perhaps?

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick

Dick did come up with the name, actually :) And he honestly had absolutely no idea that there was a knob gag/gay aspect to it....
Thinking about it, I suppose if you decide (normally because your name is Richard, I guess) that you want to be called 'Dick' you don't walk around crippled by the thought that 'dick' is a slang reference for 'penis', do you?

Dick's it is!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Cant say i'm that keen on the name I think "Knights Bar" or even "Dicks Inn" sounds better.

Dicks Inn is class!

I'm hoping the toilets will be labelled "Dick's here" and "No Dicks here".

The potential for nob jokes is phenominal.

But as I say it's all a mute point anyway as no one knows where it is or how to get to it. Maybe The Holy Grail could be unofficial name? or Bermuda Triangle.

Very interesting that as far as I am aware nothing has been named after the man that has spunked £100million on the thing? unless there is a Tony's Bar somewhere still to be discovered?!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
to an extent. i'd rather it had a name worthy of a legend. not one that will simply provoke more comments about Brighton fans being gays/fudge packers etc. a bar full of dicks etc..... it just seems a strange way for our bar and his status being 'celebrated' at the ground

Which suggests you're a slightly over sensitive soul ! I'm surprised you've survived 855 posts on here. It's a bar for gods sake - you have a drink in it - who really gives a toss what it's called or what away fans think of the name ? For me, I'm happy that DK got to name it and if that's his choice then it's fine by me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This and the moisturising thread really goes to show there are some seriously insecure individuals on NSC!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Since when has being called a dick had a sexual connotation? I thought the slang 'dick' meant you were being called an idiot, not gay. I obviously went to the wrong school.
Anyway, it's a bar with ale. Remember Withdean? Enjoy it.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Would I have chosen that name? Unlikely

Would I want it changed? No

I suppose some of the peoples concern here is that if for example Palace were own by a man called Pike and he called a bar in his honour 'Pikeys' after his schooldays nickname, we would all take the mickey out of it. Or if some team of inbreds like Norwich had a benefactor calle Cousins and they had a bar called the 'Cousins Inn'.

But in an ironic way, we had skint on our shirts for ten years.

In any case I still laugh when I see the IOC guy 'Dick Pound' quoted

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Dick did come up with the name, actually :) And he honestly had absolutely no idea that there was a knob gag/gay aspect to it....
Thinking about it, I suppose if you decide (normally because your name is Richard, I guess) that you want to be called 'Dick' you don't walk around crippled by the thought that 'dick' is a slang reference for 'penis', do you?

Dick's it is!

My understanding is that while the "Dick's Bar" suggestion came up in general conversation for some time his own feeling was that "The Knight Club" might be better. He liked "Dick's Bar" too and was easily persuaded that it was the one to go for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here