Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

• Total voters

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
As you well know H it's all about ideology nothing to do with qualifications, there's plenty of trained marxists sites on the web that just a sample,
Keep politics out of sport
Regards
DF

Racism isn't politics mate. And frankly, even if it were, so ****ing what. A bunch of people have started a political organisation and are using the BLM tag, does not invalidate black lives matter as a concept. Many people of all colours vehemently disagree with the BLM organisation, but in a way, I don't think it's such a bad thing.

A cause like that which doesn't have powerful backing, has to use this sort of inertia to effect change - they don't have direct leverage over the people making the big decisions, so sometimes 'unrest' and shock tactics are the only way. Extinction Rebellion nutters are a very small percentage of the population, by Christ they ended up getting people talking about it all didn't they?

Jan 30, 2008
Racism isn't politics mate. And frankly, even if it were, so ****ing what. A bunch of people have started a political organisation and are using the BLM tag, does not invalidate black lives matter as a concept. Many people of all colours vehemently disagree with the BLM organisation, but in a way, I don't think it's such a bad thing.

A cause like that which doesn't have powerful backing, has to use this sort of inertia to effect change - they don't have direct leverage over the people making the big decisions, so sometimes 'unrest' and shock tactics are the only way. Extinction Rebellion nutters are a very small percentage of the population, by Christ they ended up getting people talking about it all didn't they?

I'll stick to my opinion on the matter thanks just like you have yours
Regards
DF

D

Deleted member 2719

Not forgetting his political motivated arrest for driving his truck to 10 Downing Street and blasting his air horns, reversing into a vehicle and using the publicity to highlight his political view on the Iraq war........who could forget that? :)

I would go steady on knocking our Mr Eubanks mate. Some will think or even use the race card on you.

Thank God I know you treat everyone on an equal footing mate.:wink:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I haven't voted, but I remember when a knighthood actually meant something. People seem to get them now for winning an egg and spoon race.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I would go steady on knocking our Mr Eubanks mate. Some will think or even use the race card on you.

Thank God I know you treat everyone on an equal footing mate.:wink:

Likewise mate......just thought it funny you forgot about that arrest when he used to go round sounding his airhorns. Great watching him live wasnt it!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
When was that then?

1960s and 70s. It may be just me, though. But Stanley Matthew's was knighted - the first British sportsman to be knighted - in 1965 at the age of 50. He was still playing. The word legend is bandied about far too much these days, but he was.

Having googled this whole question, though, the notion that he has been snubbed, that a knighthood is "expected", just does not seem right......... but maybe all he needs to do is donate a couple of million to Tory party funds.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
1960s and 70s. It may be just me, though. But Stanley Matthew's was knighted - the first British sportsman to be knighted - in 1965 at the age of 50. He was still playing. The word legend is bandied about far too much these days, but he was.

Having googled this whole question, though, the notion that he has been snubbed, that a knighthood is "expected", just does not seem right......... but maybe all he needs to do is donate a couple of million to Tory party funds.

So you don’t think Hamilton has reached Stanley Matthews level yet? Not an F1 fan clearly. Hamilton has achieved more than any other knighted sportsman except maybe Steve Redgrave imo.

And yeah I DO expect him to be knighted

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

If Stanley Matthews is your benchmark i am looking forward to Hamilton being knighted very soon.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If Stanley Matthews is your benchmark i am looking forward to Hamilton being knighted very soon.

So you don’t think Hamilton has reached Stanley Matthews level yet? Not an F1 fan clearly. Hamilton has achieved more than any other knighted sportsman except maybe Steve Redgrave imo.

And yeah I DO expect him to be knighted

My point was not specifically about Hamilton, but about knighthoods in particular. In Stanley Matthew's day it was as rare as hen's teeth. He was the first footballer to be knighted. In those days, the likes of Andy Murray and Alastair Cook would not gave been honoured in this way in a million years. Fred Perry wasn't.

Funnily, loads of people have been knighted for services to cricket, going back to the 19th Century, so maybe Alasdair Cook might have been.

I am not an F1 fan - nowhere near as interesting as it used to be in the days of Graham Hill and Jackie Stewart - but maybe Hamilton is more deserving of it than most. I still don't like the idea - nothing personal - of "expecting" it.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
My point was not specifically about Hamilton, but about knighthoods in particular. In Stanley Matthew's day it was as rare as hen's teeth. He was the first footballer to be knighted. In those days, the likes of Andy Murray and Alastair Cook would not gave been honoured in this way in a million years. Fred Perry wasn't.

Funnily, loads of people have been knighted for services to cricket, going back to the 19th Century, so maybe Alasdair Cook might have been.

I am not an F1 fan - nowhere near as interesting as it used to be in the days of Graham Hill and Jackie Stewart - but maybe Hamilton is more deserving of it than most. I still don't like the idea - nothing personal - of "expecting" it.

Got you, thanks for clarifying David

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
8A91AA87-639B-407A-A006-D9BCA397D3D8.jpeg

Watch out ( no pun intended ) Hamilton Academicals :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
View attachment 130666

Watch out ( no pun intended ) Hamilton Academicals :)

Typical dog whistling by the shite stirring Daily Mail. Their headline is misleading.

The watch maker started this by applying to the EU Intellectual Property Office to trademark the name “Hamilton” giving then exclusive rights to use that name across the continent.

Lewis Hamiton’s lawyers challenged this, due to his intentions to market his brand, but ultimately lost.

He wasn’t trying to get Hamilton to stop using their brandname, he just didn’t want them being the only entity that could.

The Daily Mail was the ultimate winner, cleverly enforcing the views of racists and Hamilton haters.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Think you'll find there were a few knighted before him, eg Charles Clegg who was believed to be the first footballer.

D

Deleted member 2719

Typical dog whistling by the shite stirring Daily Mail. Their headline is misleading.

The watch maker started this by applying to the EU Intellectual Property Office to trademark the name “Hamilton” giving then exclusive rights to use that name across the continent.

Lewis Hamiton’s lawyers challenged this, due to his intentions to market his brand, but ultimately lost.

He wasn’t trying to get Hamilton to stop using their brandname, he just didn’t want them being the only entity that could.

The Daily Mail was the ultimate winner, cleverly enforcing the views of racists and Hamilton haters.
This is Hamilton all over though.

He doesn't need to be launching watches, who does he think he is? Beckham?

It is his real arrogance that has stopped him from being Britains most liked and respected sportsman Imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here