Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

• Total voters

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
He does have his own registered charity foundation: https://www.totalgiving.co.uk/charity/lewis-hamilton-foundation

Not sure he's a patron or not, but also pledges support to: Unicef, Education Africa, Save The Children, Great Ormond St. In 2018 he was named personality of the year by PETA by his work to save animals. Apparently this year he donated $500k for animals affected by the bush fires in Australia.

ok , thanks for that , he has gone up in my estimations....:thumbsup:

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
HMRC put him in the top 5,000 of all UK tax payers. I doubt you'll see many politicians in there. You sure as hell don't get there by paying £4k tax.

Lewis has his own charity, the Lewis Hamilton Foundation. He also supports several other charities, including Save the Children, UNICEF, Education Africa. Interestingly, I remember the bile he got hit with after announcing he was donatating half a million to help save Australian animals during the bushfires - because it's nothing to him, being the 13th Richest person on Forbes sporting rich list. Yet Roger Federer (5th on the rich list), joined forces with Rafa Nadal (37th) and jointly donated AUD$250k. And yet they got hardly any grief for this amazing gesture.

I suppose that might be because people think Lewis should pay more because he drives a car instead of hits balls. Or maybe, just maybe, many people are racist pricks.

Edit: I'm not saying you are. And frankly, I don't know anyone on this thread's reasons for not liking Hamilton, but none of it seems very consistent to me. I find the whole thing frustrating that we can't be proud of someone from our shores being so successful.

Is there any topic in the world where you actually have an ounce of reason, or empathy?

You almost certainly don't follow or watch F1, and yet feel educated to suggest Lewis has had everything handed to him. Forgetting Lewis, that insults every other team and driver on the grid. They are all chasing for the same prize. It's like saying Man Utd didn't do anything during their dominant year because they had the best players. Utter crap. There were a load of other teams trying to beat them at the game. Man Utd just played it better. That's the same with Mercedes-Hamilton.

Of every single person on the grid, of all the spoilt kids from rich families, all the state-backed drivers, all the children of F1 'royalty', you think it is the black kid from a council estate that has had it all just handed to him? The one that had to fight up from the absolute bottom, with no help that he didn't engineer out of his own hard work and ability. He is the one you call out as having it handed to him? The only one that has had to ignore racist taunting and abuse from all corners, that has had to wonder and doubt whether he should be there, he's the one? [U]This is a rags to riches British success story[/U], and I think if Lewis wasn't black, then the people of Britain would be cheering in the streets that we've got the best that has ever lived.

Take a bow, son. Take a bow

Two excellent posts all summed up by your finishing sentences, if all of you have been reading this thread take a look at these sentences and answer them honestly. If these achievements were made by Button, or Coulthard, Andy Murray or Harry Kane how would you feel about that? Can you (all who are against him for tax or he’s got the best car etc.) truly say you’d be so vocally anti their achievements?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
You can go and read lots of accounts from his ex-engineers, who state that he had an enormous impact on the development of the car. There is actually a very interesting article on the BBC at the moment. With quite a lot of comments from people that have worked with him over the years. All positive. I mean, I'm incensed that they didn't ask a bunch of people on Twitter for their opinion of Hamilton's personality... maaaan we'd get some truth then eh? eh?

Another couple of interesting links to look at when considering Mercedes' success in the current era:

https://the-race.com/formula-1/how-mercedes-designed-f1s-best-car-but-kept-it-secret/

(I've not listened to this yet, but expect it will be excellent) https://the-race.com/formula-1/podcast-the-untold-stories-of-mercedes-rise-to-dominance/

Edit: appreciate the irony of the title of the second one being self-defeating. Those "untold stories" have now been told :p.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Unquestionably yes. Considering some get knighthoods for absolutely nothing other than cronyism, it's a travesty that possibly the best ever in his sport isn't recognised in that way. Add to that the community work, the charity work, the fact that he worked up from comparatively little, the vocal support of injustices. Nah mate, give it to the billionaire d!ck who drove BHS into the ground.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Take a bow, son. Take a bow

Two excellent posts all summed up by your finishing sentences, if all of you have been reading this thread take a look at these sentences and answer them honestly. If these achievements were made by Button, or Coulthard, Andy Murray or Harry Kane how would you feel about that? Can you (all who are against him for tax or he’s got the best car etc.) truly say you’d be so vocally anti their achievements?

Indeed. People who disagree may not think of themselves as racist, but it is unconscious bias.

Or racism, as it is, and will increasingly be known :shrug:

:thumbsup:

Anyway, that 'Sir' Andy Murray can eff off, the jo..... oh.

:mad::drool::ohmy:

D

Deleted member 2719

Is there any topic in the world where you actually have an ounce of reason, or empathy?

You almost certainly don't follow or watch F1, and yet feel educated to suggest Lewis has had everything handed to him. Forgetting Lewis, that insults every other team and driver on the grid. They are all chasing for the same prize. It's like saying Man Utd didn't do anything during their dominant year because they had the best players. Utter crap. There were a load of other teams trying to beat them at the game. Man Utd just played it better. That's the same with Mercedes-Hamilton.

Of every single person on the grid, of all the spoilt kids from rich families, all the state-backed drivers, all the children of F1 'royalty', you think it is the black kid from a council estate that has had it all just handed to him? The one that had to fight up from the absolute bottom, with no help that he didn't engineer out of his own hard work and ability. He is the one you call out as having it handed to him? The only one that has had to ignore racist taunting and abuse from all corners, that has had to wonder and doubt whether he should be there, he's the one? This is a rags to riches British success story, and I think if Lewis wasn't black, then the people of Britain would be cheering in the streets that we've got the best that has ever lived.

Quite possibly the most ridiculous comment I've ever read on here.

Here are some current drivers in F1/F2. Stroll (Dad owns the company) Sainz (Ex World Rally Champion father), Verstappen (Ex F1 driver father), Scuhmacher (I'm sure we all know), Perez (Bankrolled by half of Mexico) and Hamilton (funded by his dad working multiple jobs until he got into the Mclaren drivers academy with no appreciable motor racing background from the shite area of Stevenage)

I mean, Really? Out of all them, Hamilton is the one where "It was handed to him on a plate"

I also liked this comment from Mouldy;

"He could have been the most loved ever sportsman in Britain, if he had been likable like, Button, Coulthard etc. Even Mansell with his dull drone is more admired IMO."

Which frankly is not far away from reading
"He could have been the most loved ever sportsman in Britain, if he had been white like, Button, Coulthard etc. Even Mansell with his dull drone is more admired IMO."

Ferrari have the same budget. Every time Vettel got close in Ferraris with better speed, Hamilton outclassed him.

For sure Mercedes have the best car, and will probably now continue until the regs change. But Hamilton is in the best car because, well, he's the best. And the team know he makes them better, just as they make him better. And he has a team mate who is desperate to win, but can rarely do so. They could pick pretty well any driver for his seat but they choose to pay Hamilton a fortune for a reason.

Everything handed to him misunderstands the brutality of the sport. He was put on an academy programme because he was exceptional. But there are loads of exceptional kids put on F1 academy programmes, Ferarri and Red Bull have extensive ones, but so do others. There are far more who get nowhere near F1 from an academy programme, despite the teams desperate for it to work. Some get to F1 and flop, too numerous to name. But the best of the best are superb, Hamilton, Verstappen (Red Bull academy), Leclerc (Ferrari academy).

I don’t want to descend into criticising other greats but i will have a little nibble given the theme of this thread and your comments. Mansell has some of the biggest balls ever to grace F1, what a driver, and he lived in the Isle of Man during his F1 career. I wonder why. And he was a right pain in the neck to work with, famous for outstaying his welcome in the States in Indy. The thing is it doesn't matter, this is an honours list not a personality list. Hamilton is more earnest than Button and the others, but why should he change his personality, he is what he is, and exceptional at what he does.

Its not that simple though is it mate. Not only can Hamilton make his car go quicker, he can make it go quicker than his teammate, all other cars he has competed against, even when behind he can out manouevre them in any conditions. That my friend is not all about making your car go faster but pushing everything to the limit & that is mechanical & human skill.
Some may suggest putting him in an inferior car and seeing his success decline, that of course could be true but the flip side of that argument is could the other drivers achieve the dominance in Hamilton's car, very very doubtful. His skill has been evident for all to see.
Like i said in another post, he should be knighted for his success in his sport, not for his popularity. He has achieved more success than any of the drivers you mentioned and Button, Coultard Mansell ect were popular and successful drivers but being popular doesnt gain you more F1 titles.
He is an enigma and he is far from finished yet, surely being a success in your sport, F1 starts at the decisions you make of who you work with to achieve that success. An aspiring world champion is hardly going to drive a skoda when he can drive a Mercedes is he?

You like your comparisons

Its a bit like Jurgen Klopp wanting to manage Brighton instead of Liverpool to gain European success......not going to happen is it. And yet although Liverpool has a budget far exceeding Brightons and he wins the European Cup will fans say he is not a good manager because he was handed:clap2: success on a silver platter?:clap2:

I don't have a lot of time guys but it is probably easier just to say.

Race has nothing to do with it, how could it have?

Hamilton does not deserve to be knighted with his 100's millions already in the bank, saying that if he he turns down a contract offer from merc and takes a seat for Haas and takes a pay drop and then wins the title next year.

He will deserve a knighthood, and as a bonus I will happily lick the beads of sweat from his arse crack after a GP.

Happy???

PS. Nuvalari, would have whipped his arse.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
In my opinion both F1 and royal honours are a pile of shite. However within those parameters, it would be ridiculous if he wasn't when you compare him to other people who've been knighted, both in sports and elsewhere.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't have a lot of time guys but it is probably easier just to say.

Race has nothing to do with it, how could it have?

because some people want unreasonably higher bar for him to have to reach. why does he have to prove himself in a lower team?

fortunately the call is out there and sensible people will make sure it happens. haters will have to have their whinge and ck off.

Jan 30, 2008
He is one of the top 5000 tax payers in the country and he does not earn all his money out of England. But let’s beat him with that stick, probably pays more in a year than most people earn in their lifetime.

Never heard a word said about Jenson Button or David Coulthard living in Monaco, funny that. So many Brits absolutely detest winners, not a nice trait.

I don’t like to suggest racism but....

Trained marxists spring to mind which completely overshadows his achievements, keep politics out of sport
Regards
DF

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I also liked this comment from Mouldy;

"He could have been the most loved ever sportsman in Britain, if he had been likable like, Button, Coulthard etc. Even Mansell with his dull drone is more admired IMO."

Which frankly is not far away from reading
"He could have been the most loved ever sportsman in Britain, if he had been white like, Button, Coulthard etc. Even Mansell with his dull drone is more admired IMO."

Yep, Pretty damning.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
because some people want unreasonably higher bar for him to have to reach. why does he have to prove himself in a lower team?

fortunately the call is out there and sensible people will make sure it happens. haters will have to have their whinge and ck off.

haters? I'd say racist cockwombles.

D

Deleted member 2719

People who dislike him are not racist, there are a number of reasons why, gobby, sulky, arrogant and materialistic.

Like I said earlier In the thread, I was warming to him and his late formed maturity and he starts getting all political.

Looked very ordinary when he could not get the tyres warm. Let see him in a shite car to prove his real worth.
It might even make F1 exciting again.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Perhaps some on here want Sir Steve Redgraves knighthood rescinded, after all he wouldn't have been a world class rower had he not be paired with a first class team! :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here