Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Should England players walk off if racist chants kick off in these next two matches?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You’d prefer the racist abuse to lost points? Sometimes you’ve got to make a stand.
Clearly the choice is not binary between racist abuse or lost points.

I prefer neither of those, and opt for a 3rd pick of following the rules in place to address this.

But my point wasn't to express my opinion. It was simply to point out that the group will become more interesting with a points deduction.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Hard to put myself in their place, as a whilte man...... but players of the 70s and 80s dealt with racist comments every week without walking off . If the England team walk off we get punished . Is not that what the opposition fans want? We are playing into their hands.

If they let the fans comments get to them, put them off their game, the racists have won. I say they must keep focussed , play better than the opposition and come away feeling proud they were strong enough to stand it.

Let the ref and FIFA handle it

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Hard to put myself in their place, as a whilte man...... but players of the 70s and 80s dealt with racist comments every week without walking off . If the England team walk off we get punished . Is not that what the opposition fans want? We are playing into their hands.

If they let the fans comments get to them, put them off their game, the racists have won. I say they must keep focussed , play better than the opposition and come away feeling proud they were strong enough to stand it.

Let the ref and FIFA handle it

But it happens time and time again and they never do :shrug:

They obviously don't have the balls to handle it, so we should force them to, whatever the outcome. It's gone on long enough and it's time it was dealt with.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It feels like we’re spoiling for a fight to make this well publicised protest. I’d rather the players get on with preparing for the game, ignore the crowd and let Uefa deal with any reported incidents afterwards. That’s the correct approach. Not taking issuing threats ahead of which makes it more likely IMO.

Brits (English) spoiling for a fight with Europe? Surely not? Wonder where that mindset comes from?

I think it is causing unnecessary tension by announcing in advance that the whole team will walk off. All based on a presumption that there will likely be acts of racism. The England team have now rattled the cages of the Czechs and Bulgarians because of something that might not happen.

Why didn't the players agree on what to do, keep it to themselves and carry out their agreed walkout if racism is experienced and the correct actions aren't taken?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
UEFA’s three-step procedure sees the referee at first stop the match and ask for an announcement demanding the immediate halt of such racist behaviour.

The second step, if the racism does not cease, sees the referee suspend the match for a reasonable period of time and request the teams to go to the dressing room as a further announcement is made over the public address system. If the racist behaviour continues, the match will be abandoned.

Seems like this should be followed, if it isn't then we kick up a fuss on the sidelines and take action into our own hands.

Happy to see players 'take the knee' during the anthems too.....

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Nothing will change if they do, other countries fans will soon see this as a way to win the game by default, the governing bodies of football if serious about stamping it out will need to get tough with those found guilty, handing out 200 quid fines is just laughable, they only way to stop it is to ban any country found guilty or a points deduction, fines do not work.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
UEFA’s three-step procedure sees the referee at first stop the match and ask for an announcement demanding the immediate halt of such racist behaviour.

The second step, if the racism does not cease, sees the referee suspend the match for a reasonable period of time and request the teams to go to the dressing room as a further announcement is made over the public address system. If the racist behaviour continues, the match will be abandoned.

Seems like this should be followed, if it isn't then we kick up a fuss on the sidelines and take action into our own hands.

I think UEFA's 3 step procedure sounds like pretty sensible solution. It's just that there's been lots of racism and it's never been implemented. So I would totally support a walk off and we'll deal with any points deduction we get.

I do actually agree with That Bulgarian bloke, (Bobby Mihilov, the old 94 keeper wasn't it?) insofar as he was making the point about us not having our own houses in order. We haven't. And we're a little too quick to try and make out it happens in the rest of the world but ignore it when it happens here.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Not sure there will be racism from the Czechs but who knows. I am tempted to leave Zizkov and go into centre tomorrow night though. Was unable to get ticket but big screens in old town square

See you there Dave. I haven't got a ticket but hoping to pick one up.

Would also be very surprised if there is any racism rubbish from the Czechs.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Haven't we qualified already due to getting to the finals of the very complicated euro league thingermebob last season
So we have. They can dock us the points in Czech, Bulgaria and Kosovo if necessary and it no longer makes Montenegro at Wembley a must win.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I think UEFA's 3 step procedure sounds like pretty sensible solution. It's just that there's been lots of racism and it's never been implemented. So I would totally support a walk off and we'll deal with any points deduction we get.

I do actually agree with That Bulgarian bloke, (Bobby Mihilov, the old 94 keeper wasn't it?) insofar as he was making the point about us not having our own houses in order. We haven't. And we're a little too quick to try and make out it happens in the rest of the world but ignore it when it happens here.

Yes, we have the odd isolated incident of racist behaviour but these quickly get reported by other fans and are swiftly dealt with and the miscreants severely punished.

Hardly the same as dozens / hundreds / thousands of fans all doing monkey chants is it? The FAs in some countries have done absolutely **** all to stop the racist behaviour of their fans. Some of the foreign fans in eastern Europe still behave as English fans were in the 1970s.

Something has to change and if that means the England players walk off then they have my support.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Maybe. Or maybe he’ll think “Well, the players are going to take this decision out of my hands anyway, so if I don’t do anything beyond the first two strikes and the players then walk, the crowd will blame them, not me, and I’ve got a better chance of getting out of here without abuse/assault”.

I do think that it’s totally unacceptable to expect players to work in a racially abusive workplace, and I well understand their motivation for walking in the event it does happen again. I just wonder if it would have been more sensible and less publicly provocative to have told UEFA privately of their plans...

Yes, announcing it to all and sundry does create risks and of course it is possible that on the QT, they have spoken to UEFA -can imagine what their response would have been!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

these steps seem reasonable enough to me, but will it ever be implemented? Has it ever been? Presumably, refs and officials are just too scared for fear of the subsequent chaos that might occur?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, we have the odd isolated incident of racist behaviour but these quickly get reported by other fans and are swiftly dealt with and the miscreants severely punished.

Hardly the same as dozens / hundreds / thousands of fans all doing monkey chants is it? The FAs in some countries have done absolutely **** all to stop the racist behaviour of their fans. Some of the foreign fans in eastern Europe still behave as English fans were in the 1970s.

Something has to change and if that means the England players walk off then they have my support.

Maybe he wasn’t referring to racism but the unsavoury behaviour which sometime precedes England games?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

This. Like the Chelsea lot on the underground in Paris and the one who got kicked out of the Amex recently.

Wonder how many bans have occurred there?

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I suspect any racist twats will take great pleasure in getting the game abandoned after 5 minutes, at the expense of all those England supporters who have travelled long distances at great cost. And if the game is awarded to the home team, even better!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I suspect any racist twats will take great pleasure in getting the game abandoned after 5 minutes, at the expense of all those England supporters who have travelled long distances at great cost. And if the game is awarded to the home team, even better!

But would it, I wonder. UEFA are not exactly the shining light of morality, preferring easier "solutions" such as relatively small fines, but even they might baulk at the thought of punishing a team that had walked off due to racism. Particularly so, if the ref had shown no inclination to adopt their three-pronged strategy, then the team would easily be able to claim the higher ground.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
[/B]

But would it, I wonder. UEFA are not exactly the shining light of morality, preferring easier "solutions" such as relatively small fines, but even they might baulk at the thought of punishing a team that had walked off due to racism. Particularly so, if the ref had shown no inclination to adopt their three-pronged strategy, then the team would easily be able to claim the higher ground.

You would think the points would have to go to the team that didn't fail to fulfil the fixture. The points have to go somewhere or the integrity of the competition falls apart.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here