Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Should England players walk off if racist chants kick off in these next two matches?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Not sure it’s that good an idea to advertise that we will in advance of the game. What do we think is going to happen if we’re 2-0 up with 20 mins to play?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Not being surrounded by English media, wtf is going on. My initial reaction to reading the post was no way. But then I read the responses and obviously something fairly serious is going on. It sounds a bit like what happened here with Adam Goodes an aboriginal AFL player who called out a young girl (I think she was twelve or thirteen) for calling him a monkey, he just stopped walked over to where she was and told her it was out of order. Next thing you know it's all over the media with everyone abusing HIM for it. The crowds picked up the abuse and booed him every time he touched the ball and at every single game. The AFL were piss weak in their response and in the end he retired early.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
It feels like we’re spoiling for a fight to make this well publicised protest. I’d rather the players get on with preparing for the game, ignore the crowd and let Uefa deal with any reported incidents afterwards. That’s the correct approach. Not taking issuing threats ahead of which makes it more likely IMO.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There's no ideal solution to this. Having gone public on our intentions to walk off the pitch if the crowd starts chanting racial abuse, then if we're winning, its almost an incentive for the neanderthals to kick off with the monkey stuff and get the match abandoned. As it stands, there's no UEFA directive that says we'd be awarded the game if that happened, so there's a possibility we'd end up with a behind closed doors replay, which nobody would want.

I honestly don't know the answer. But if England players are subjected to racist bile from the stands, I would fully support them walking off and to hell with the consequences. Nobody should have to put up with it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I think announcing it beforehand is a good idea. Now the ref knows he can't just halfheartedly deal with any racism and has to follow the 3 strikes rule properly which I assume the England players will respect rather than marching off at the first sign of racism. From what I've read refs have done the first 2 a few times but have never had the balls to do the third.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It'll make the group more interesting when England are docked points.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
... Now the ref knows he can't just halfheartedly deal with any racism and has to follow the 3 strikes rule properly...

Maybe. Or maybe he’ll think “Well, the players are going to take this decision out of my hands anyway, so if I don’t do anything beyond the first two strikes and the players then walk, the crowd will blame them, not me, and I’ve got a better chance of getting out of here without abuse/assault”.

I do think that it’s totally unacceptable to expect players to work in a racially abusive workplace, and I well understand their motivation for walking in the event it does happen again. I just wonder if it would have been more sensible and less publicly provocative to have told UEFA privately of their plans...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I dont know. It sort of feels like the people chanting racist stuff would be very happy with succeeding in getting the opponents to leave the pitch.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
In principle I agree, I am not in the direct position of having to receive the abuse so if those players in the firing line feel it is the only way then I support them.
However UEFA will spin it back onto us so the FA needed to back them and prepare for the backlash from the spineless oxygen thieves at UEFA.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Not that it should even be in consideration, but its FIFA/UEFA - We are in a position to do it - we are miles ahead in the group so even when UEFA give the game to the Czech Republic it wont really affect us.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It feels like we’re spoiling for a fight to make this well publicised protest. I’d rather the players get on with preparing for the game, ignore the crowd and let Uefa deal with any reported incidents afterwards. That’s the correct approach. Not taking issuing threats ahead of which makes it more likely IMO.

That's the problem right there. They are not dealing with it. Bulgaria are playing behind semi closed doors (5000 seats less) because of chants in 2011.

8 years ago!!!!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'd prefer to see them walk off of the pitch, but not down tunnel. Instead, steaming into the pile of racists, with the entire backroom staff, and maybe one or two anti-racist Bulgarian players, and having a huge punch-up with the mindless brutes. The brawl would end, a couple of the feebler England players - Harry Winks and Ross Barclay, for instance - would be substituted unconsciously, noses would be cleaned and bloody shirts changed, and on with the game we went. A World Cup winning team would be formed with that violent camaraderie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here