Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shocking unpredictable news - Pompey in administration again

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Our thoughts really should be with the small businesses and their families who may lose homes over this. It's not just about football and points. Pompey will once again screw over the lives of many.......

There was a point in the BBC article that I hadn't considered, the non-payment of general staff. Sure I have some sympathy for players, but many of them will likely have earned enough to have at least some savings to fall back on (if they don't then that's their own fault). However staff from the shop etc... must be finding it really hard right now.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
"It also emerged electricity and gas suppliers have been threatening to cut off power to the club's Fratton Park stadium for non-payment."

They must have made a part payment otherwise Tuesday's evening game at Fratton wouldn't have gone ahead as they needed the floodlights etc.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
There was a point in the BBC article that I hadn't considered, the non-payment of general staff. Sure I have some sympathy for players, but many of them will likely have earned enough to have at least some savings to fall back on (if they don't then that's their own fault). However staff from the shop etc... must be finding it really hard right now.

I seem to recall last time this happened, David James and maybe some of the other players actually helped pay some of the staff. Not much chance of that happening this time I'd wager.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

I feel sorry for the general staff that will end up having their homes repossessed

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
No, 10 points is the fixed penalty for entering administration.

Clubs who have been given greater deductions did not come out of administration with a CVA (I think). If 75% of the creditors agree the settlement (if there is one), then there is no further deduction.

How come Luton got -30 then?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
This is the FOURTH or FIFTH time in 35 years that Pompey have been in either severe financial crisis or administration: 1976, 1992, 1998, 2008/09 and now 2012.

In November 1976 Pompey needed raise £25,000 to pay off debts and so avoid bankruptcy. The money was raised from supporter contributions.

In 1992 Chairman Jim Gregory called in the money he had lent the club over preceding seasons, and so players were sold with little funds available to buy replacements.

Pompey's centenary season, 1998-99, saw a serious financial crisis hit the club, and in December 1998 Portsmouth went into receivership.

At the start of the 2008-09 Pompey were facing crippling debts due to their recent heavy spending. Al-Fahim took the club over in August but he did not have enough money to run the club and manage the £70 Million debt.
Portsmouth were issued with a winding up order due to unpaid taxes.

And Now this: It looks like the end to me!

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
This shows why the 10 point punishment for administration is not right. The purpose of administration in business is to allow a breathing space while an insolvent business is restructured to a point where it is solvent. So some of the business is sold, some redundancies occur, some debt is written off and a smaller, leaner organisation results - e.e. Ethel Austin.

But in Football nothing seems to happen. Because all the clubs live on the hoof anyway and the football debt has high priority administration does not result in a smaller, leaner club. With the 10 point deduction it results in a club about the same size as before but with no debts. And that's where it is not fair. Sport, even professional sport, is supposed to have an element of level competition to it. Allowing Pompey to walk away from their spending AGAIN is farcical. The club should be properly restructured during admin so that income exceeds outgoing on a sustainable basis and if that means they end up in Conference South because that is the quality of players they can afford, then so be it.

Personally I would treat clubs in administration the same as clubs in liquidation - out of the pyramid and reapply. That might concentrate a few minds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here