Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shithouse Sussex Outposts - East Grinstead

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Time to close this thread - Please note I have no connection with the town or sport, but East Grinstead is the place for men's hockey and if like me you only need half an excuse to be proud to come from Sussex you will realise EG deserves some respect and will just move along.

http://news.google.co.uk/news?num=2...countryUK|countryGB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wn

The only problem with that is that Hockey is a bit two bit sport and no-one really gives a toss about it, hence why somewhere like EG excel at it.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I went to school in East Grinstead in the 60s and lived about 4 miles outside the town. Back then it was quite a nice town (the Maharaja of Jaipur owned what is now the Scientologists HQ) with trains in four directions, OK traffic and some half decent pubs.

It's been going steadily downhill ever since and is now indeed a dump for all the reasons stated by other posters.

One of the worst things about the town is the traffic. Will the by-pass EVER be built? They first talked about it over 40 years ago.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The only problem with that is that Hockey is a bit two bit sport and no-one really gives a toss about it, hence why somewhere like EG excel at it.

Crap argument, if Carshalton or Petersfield were kings of European hockey, I would be in total agreement with you, however google maps confirms my myopia and East Grinstead is in Sussex and that my friend is good enough for me.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Haha, I assume you are suggesting Dormansland is posh.

I said DORMANSLAND, not Dormans Park.

Was in the spit and sawdust local earlier to watch the football. Seems the smoking ban is ignored in the village and loud, brash locals were cursing away with fags hanging out of their mouths in front of the telly.

Posh it was not

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Haha, I assume you are suggesting Dormansland is posh.

I said DORMANSLAND, not Dormans Park.

Was in the spit and sawdust local earlier to watch the football. Seems the smoking ban is ignored in the village and loud, brash locals were cursing away with fags hanging out of their mouths in front of the telly.

Posh it was not

Royal Oak or Plough?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Of course. I spent many a night in there. Used to be the easiest pub to get served in when I was a youngun.

They'd also have half decent bands rocking out in there making the place the foremost venue for live music in the area.

And they had TWO pool tables and a House of the Dead arcade machine.

I LOVED that place. Crying shame it is no more

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I loved that place, was there most evenings till it closed down. Don't remeber where the arcade machine was but I do remember the pool tables and the bands on fri / sat and sunday nights.

Met my first gf in there too.

IKDRF

May 1, 2009
QUOTE=HAILSHAM SEAGULL;3370929]Got to be Hastings for me,

Didn't get bombed enough during the war[/QUOTE]

I wondered after just how many posts I would come across hastings

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I loved that place, was there most evenings till it closed down. Don't remeber where the arcade machine was but I do remember the pool tables and the bands on fri / sat and sunday nights.

Met my first gf in there too.

The arcade machine was right next to the steps down to the lowered Pool table area.

An awesome pub, I really do feel the village is a lesser place for its absence.

Can't claim to have met a girlfriend in there but I certainly met some nice young lasses who were good fun

;)

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
While we are on this subject, whats Hassocks like? Considering it as a future place for a family home. Ditto on Hurtpierpoint.

I grew up in both areas so know them very well.Hassocks wins hands down.Your children won't feel isolated as there is a railway station to get about.Also the main secondary school is there so less travelling.
If no children are involved then Hurstpierpoint is a good option.
If Hurst you go for and you have plenty of cash then look at properties in and around College lane/highfield drive.

Last edited:

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Surely for this thread to have any credibility it's my duty to mention that Littlehampton is easily the biggest shitehole in the universe , never mind Sussex? Worthing is a close second. Used to be a nice place but is now a chav infested hellhole.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Surely for this thread to have any credibility it's my duty to mention that Littlehampton is easily the biggest shitehole in the universe , never mind Sussex? Worthing is a close second. Used to be a nice place but is now a chav infested hellhole.

Have you not been to Gary, Indiana, then?

gary-indiana-lakefront-aerial-10.3.jpg

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Nope. Too far north for me. I hear terrible things abound outside of Florida!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
As we seem to have ventured outside of Sussex I’d like to nominate Jersey Shore – now that really is the armpit of the US

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here