Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shithouse Sussex Outposts - East Grinstead

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Question for Lyndhurst - what is Long Island like? I always imagine it to be the NY equivalent of Essex. Since it's mainly the north getting bashed here I should offer that Callahan and Middleburg are not really outstanding parts of NE Florida. St Augustine on the other hand is very nice.

I got offered quite a good job in Long Island – but when they told me the place was called Hicksville that was all I needed to know. Having said that a trip round the Hamptons is worth it to see how the other half lives and they have some good national parks like Fire Island if you’re into surfing or sailing, and the beaches are a bit of an improvement on Coney Island.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I seem to remember a newspaper article a good few years back suggesting Crowborough was the heroin capital of the uk. Something to do with a lot of it arriving through Newhaven and then onto London through a network based in Crowborough...

Never heard that one. Tunbridge Wells down the road (or up the road depending on which way youre facing) has a bit of a problem with smack. lots of poor little rich kids getting into it and as its on the train line and road from Hastings to London having easy access to it.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The Essex equivalent of New York is in fact, New Jersey, especially the north of it.

Also the most corrupt State in the US. Last July there was a big corruption probe with the newly elected mayor being arrested together with a local rabbi who was offering organs for transplant on the internet

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Also the most corrupt State in the US. Last July there was a big corruption probe with the newly elected mayor being arrested together with a local rabbi who was offering organs for transplant on the internet

A lot of places in that state have been ruined by the Mafia, Newark is an utter khazi thanks to the amount of corruption in that city. Probably the most poluted state as well and yet it's known as 'The Garden State'.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, East Grinstead has gone a long way downhill.

The town does have some things in its favour though. There is an excellent travel agent, Hallmark, who sorted out a trip to Australia for me brilliantly, the hospital is rated among the best in the country and it has the highest church tower anywhere in the South East (can be seen for miles around - a very prominent landmark).

Sorry for the long essay, but as a local, this got me going.

Is it really the highest church tower in the South East, or just that it stands on a hill so looks taller than it is?

As for West Hoathly? Also a nice enough village in the 60s now completely spoilt by the traffic that uses the road because there's no EG bypass. However the Cat Inn is great, although I heard recently taken over by the owners of Gravetye Manor (which I'm told has gone bust?). How is it under the new ownership? And I understand the Intrepid Fox (new name for the old Vinols Cross) owner has also sold up. Is the blue plaque still on the tree by the recreation ground to commemorate the fact that I played football for West Hoathly in the 60s???

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
For sheer wrist slitting misery I would go for Haywards Heath.

Just how many f***ing kebab shops can one pissant town support?

The locals are abunch of single issue Neo-nazis (Princess Royal Bleeding Hospital anyone?) and the pubs are RANK.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Never heard that one. Tunbridge Wells down the road (or up the road depending on which way youre facing) has a bit of a problem with smack. lots of poor little rich kids getting into it and as its on the train line and road from Hastings to London having easy access to it.

Uckfield also got a mention....

I'm sad to say that Uckfield's my home town. What a dump. Not that I've spent any time in the town centre in the last 10 years or so after scarpering to Brighton PDQ

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
And I understand the Intrepid Fox (new name for the old Vinols Cross) owner has also sold up. Is the blue plaque still on the tree by the recreation ground to commemorate the fact that I played football for West Hoathly in the 60s???

Yes I think there must be new owners at the Fox.

The previous landlord was trying to close it down and turn it back into a house but I believe got turned down by planners

Anyway the Cat is much better, Harveys, good but pricey food and a bonkers landlady!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Crikey this thread has BALLOONED in popularity since I was last here.

I'll have to admit I don't actually know Haywards Heath all too well, never having spent any time there aside from in the hospital where they pumped me full of drugs so I quite enjoyed it...

Is it as bad as Buggers Hole?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Crikey this thread has BALLOONED in popularity since I was last here.

I'll have to admit I don't actually know Haywards Heath all too well, never having spent any time there aside from in the hospital where they pumped me full of drugs so I quite enjoyed it...

Is it as bad as Buggers Hole?

Worse I would say, at least Bogs Hole's shopping centre is more or less in one place with adequate parking. I grew up in Bugs Hole and went to school in Haywards Heath but thankfully I managed to escape.

Lamps

Dec 30, 2008
Tenterden, Kent.
Another one of the few positives with East grinstead is the cinema at the top of the Atrium "complex". Not bad for a last minute.com activity to kill a sunday afternoon. Granted its only an independant cinema so not boasting great things but it beats driving over to creepy. :thumbsup:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Another one of the few positives with East grinstead is the cinema at the top of the Atrium "complex". Not bad for a last minute.com activity to kill a sunday afternoon. Granted its only an independant cinema so not boasting great things but it beats driving over to creepy. :thumbsup:

This is true, the cinema isn't half bad although I remember all the fuss over building it. As I recall the Atrium complex replaced the town's old cinema, only gaining planning permission on the proviso that it contained a new, better cinema. Of course the building shot up with its bowling alleys, games arcade and bar but the cinema was strangely missing. The townsfolk started kicking off that this big ugly monstrosity had only been allowed as they needed it for their cinema.

It was several years before the cinema actually opened up and was in operation, if I recall correctly. It was a decent little cinema when complete though. For years it was operated by Picture House cinemas, the same folk who run the Duke of York's, however when I passed by the other day it appeared to be in different hands now.

In later years a Wetherspoons was crammed into the Atrium in place of the games arcade and an unbelievably shitty nightclub called the Base was the popular youth hangout in the town for many a year before it was replaced by Jumpin' Jax, then Billie Rox and now it is empty again as far as I can tell.

Strange building that place is. Does it still have TWO bowling alleys? And am I right in thinking the Wetherspoons took the space that was previously occupied by the games arcade? Only the pub seems a lot bigger than I remember the arcade being.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I grew up in both areas so know them very well.Hassocks wins hands down.Your children won't feel isolated as there is a railway station to get about.Also the main secondary school is there so less travelling.
If no children are involved then Hurstpierpoint is a good option.
If Hurst you go for and you have plenty of cash then look at properties in and around College lane/highfield drive.
I don't recall feeling "isolated" in Hurstpierpoint when we were growing up, Algie. ??? We used to simply cycle the 1.5 miles to Hassocks station as an when required.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Is it really the highest church tower in the South East, or just that it stands on a hill so looks taller than it is?

It may be highest if it is on a hill but I'm afraid Dorking has the tallest church spire in SE. St Martins Church.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here