Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shithouse Sussex Outposts - East Grinstead

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That's cos you only ever drink in The Great Eastern - a slightly-above-mediocre pub in a grotty little area.

Now you know I like it in there, (on Saturday lunchtimes, forget it on a Friday night, horrid place) and the references I made are to the wider Brighton, in fact the North Laine is probably my prefered part of town, got a nice feel about it round there. And there are many areas I do like, I guess the areas that make the place seem depressing to me are London Road/Churchill Square/West Street/North Street/Western Road, obvious choices I know, but there you go.

And Phil, I accept that Brighton has certainly seen better days but we are in the midst of recession lets not forget and there are obviously some bits worse than others. London Road is a prime example of East Grinstead like wasteland but Western Road is still pretty busy. I think Brighton is let down as a shoppers town by virtue of the fact that whilst it has a lot of the big name brands here they don't oft6en have an awful lot of space and when it comes to flagship department stores we have nothing to shout about. In fact you'd be better off going to Croydon. Couple this with the fact that parking is astronomical and we are fast losing the quirkiness of the Lanes, Kemp Town and North Laine thanks to ridiculously high council rates and it isn't hard to see why there isn't much money coming into the city.

That's basically what I meant.

HOWEVER at least for the time being we DO still have these few quirky areas where there are some slightly more unusual and individual shops, pubs and cafes etc. whereas East Grinstead has nothing of the sort. You can't even buy a CD or a DVD on the high street

And that is also why I said I find some of it depressing some of the time, but not all of it all the time.

If you call bourbon "fine". Can't say I've ever noticed the smell, and I do have a paricularly sensitive sense of smell.

If you like a Scotch, you should give some of them a try, and the Ryes, and the Corn Whiskeys, there's is a whole lot more to it than JD and Jim Beam, just like there is more to Scotch than Famous [sic] Grouse and Glenfiddich.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
imagine being all classy and french and thinking, whilst supping on a fine wine "oh-he-hon i sink i will go to engeland todayy"

and pitching up in NEWHAVEN

In contrast, what do you think of Dieppe, Calais and Boulogne? They are hardly the last word in French sophistication, but travel a few miles north, south or west and you'll find some nice towns & villages, much like you would on arriving at our channel ports.

Oct 25, 2003
i've not been to boulogne, but dieppe is DEFINITELY nicer than newhaven, and yeah dieppe isn't even that great!

i remember a while back seeing a kind of promotional poster for the ferry in dieppe and it was advertised as "dieppe-brighton"

edit- although that's not as bad as the "North Shields-Ijmulden(?)" ferry being advertised as "Newcastle-Amsterdam"

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
While we are on this subject, whats Hassocks like? Considering it as a future place for a family home. Ditto on Hurtpierpoint.

Your best off Hustpierpoint Seagulls that, though if his spelling is to go by the local schools arent that good :thumbsup:

On a serious note, its a decent place having lived here all my life, much nicer than Burgess Hill or Haywards Heath, nearer the South downs and only 10 minutes from Brighton on the train.

Oct 25, 2003
You can't be classy AND French

i MUST disagree

ImageResize.ashx

plus they have some INCREDIBLE vagina's over there

sammy g

I would like to nominate Bognor. I worked there for three depressing years. Soul destroying place, with no redeeming features. What makes it worse is the amount of Pompey fans that inhabit the place. Things got even worse when they lost the Birdman trophy to the mighty err Worthing!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
worthing :( Having long ago given up on the idea of looking remotely nice, it appears to have given up on pretty much everything else and every second building is a bloody Tesco Express :angry:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I think in general alot of towns hav egone down hill in recent years. I grew up in Worthing and 15 years ago when i was 18 although notthe best town in the world - All the shops were full, there were plenty of pubs and nightclubs and overall it wasn't a bad place - whenever i go back now i am always disapointed maybe it's partly age and you look back with rose tinited glases at the memories and times you had but look at the place now -empty shops loads of chavs far more than their ever used be an barely a decent pub in the town centre half have just closed down leaving just bar release and a Wetherspoons on Chapel road which once had 5 or 6 pubs. It's a pity but alot of towns are the same. I went in Worthing the other saturday now 15 years ago teh pubs used to be heaving but on a saturday night the few pubs that are left were half empty obviously the reccession has had a big impact but it was still a bit sad to see.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Calm down.

I'm hugely proud that East Grinstead is one of the foremost powers in European hockey however the fact that the local rag STILL chooses to rant about the piss poor performances of the local football team who play in some pointless local league RATHER than big up the many successes of the Hockey team does rather suggest that the locals don't care

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here