Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shit. I'm old.(First Albion match etc etc)

Dandyman

In London village.
Towards the end of the 1975/76 season, aged either 12 or 13. Can't remember who against. :dunce: :D

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Goring Gull said:
1987 against PLymouth i would've been 12, remeber feeling really nervous/ excited heading towards the ground.

That was my first game as well. 1-1 draw wasn't it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
1975 First game vs palace ...hooked ever since

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
1976 v spurs, kinnear testimonial we lost 6 - 1. I was 13

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Can't remember my first Brighton game but it was before England won the World Cup! It must have been the 1965-66 season when I first moved to Sussex. I was 8.

My first ever professional match was the season before in 1964/65. Went with my Palace-supporting Dad and Grandad to Selhurst Park.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
This is that Four Yorkshiremen sketch, right?

I remember, clear as day, it were in 1908, after we'd just beaten Leeds City in the Boer War Orphans Charity Shield, Attila The Pawnbroker was cranking out some rubbish by the Undertones on his barrel organ, the new, luxury, all-stander Goldstone Ground had just got planning permission for state-of-the-art slag heap terraces (including railway sleepers) on three sides.

But Mr "Jeremiah John" Prescott had restricted the Club to a single-decker, parked charabanc instead of a proper West Stand. Protesting local residents were still insisting that there were plenty of 'alternative sites'.

You could get in and see the likes of Hughie Vallance, Jack Smethurst and Guy Butters for three farthings, Beard's and Harveys was a halfpeny a pint, and lager hadn't been invented.

Them was the days!

Last edited:

Sometime in the late fifties at Somerton Park ...

... I would have been supporting Newport County.

First Goldstone game as a (potential) Albion supporter ... early 1972, just after returning from Italy and settling into a bedsit within walking distance.

By the time the end of the promotion season arrived, I was sufficiently hooked to join the 34,765 other people at the Rochdale game.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
who remembers that reserve game you had to attend to be guaranteed a cup ticket (Liverpool?)

Was there about 12,000 or so there?

I remember being one of em on the chicken run :lolol:

canterburygull

Oct 20, 2003
canterbury
about 1972 i was 5 , port vale at the goldstone. on my dad's shoulders , he nearly dropped me a few times ,so he put me down , could'nt see a thing , so we went to the front but the wall was to high. sat against the wall listening to the north stand sing, i was hooked ,regular in the chicken run till i was deemed old enough to be taken to the shrine of the north stand:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
clippedgull said:
who remembers that reserve game you had to attend to be guaranteed a cup ticket (Liverpool?)

Was there about 12,000 or so there?

I remember being one of em on the chicken run :lolol:
Not sure if this is the game you are referring to ,but in 1967 tickets for the 4th round FA cup tie with Chelsea were sold at a Reserve game.The attendance was close on 23,000.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here