Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shit. I'm old.(First Albion match etc etc)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
sams dad said:
Not sure if this is the game you are referring to ,but in 1967 tickets for the 4th round FA cup tie with Chelsea were sold at a Reserve game.The attendance was close on 23,000.

I would have been 10 then, so I don't think that was the one. Although it may have been :)

But for some reason, Liverpool sticks in my brain :)

Dandyman

In London village.
Gilliver's Travels said:
This is that Four Yorkshiremen sketch, right?

I remember, clear as day, it were in 1908, after we'd just beaten Leeds City in the Boer War Orphans Charity Shield, Attila The Pawnbroker was cranking out some rubbish by the Undertones on his barrel organ, the new, luxury, all-stander Goldstone Ground had just got planning permission for state-of-the-art slag heap terraces (including railway sleepers) on three sides.

But Mr "Jeremiah John" Prescott had restricted the Club to a single-decker, parked charabanc instead of a proper West Stand. Protesting local residents were still insisting that there were plenty of 'alternative sites'.

You could get in and see the likes of Hughie Vallance, Jack Smethurst and Guy Butters for three farthings, Beard's and Harveys was a halfpeny a pint, and lager hadn't been invented.

Them was the days!

:lolol:

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
bhaexpress said:
Birmingham 1968 in the old League cup and yes I'm old but not the oldest eh Yorkie ?

1969, so my old man tells me, can't remember who against!!! I am too old!!!!!!!:thud:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
parks said:
1969, so my old man tells me, can't remember who against!!! I am too old!!!!!!!:thud:

Sorry it was definately 1968 ! I was there :D :D

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
bhaexpress said:
Sorry it was definately 1968 ! I was there :D :D

And in fact if you reckon you're old then I can't be as old as your dad so I claim that my faculties are in better shape.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
sams dad said:
Not sure if this is the game you are referring to ,but in 1967 tickets for the 4th round FA cup tie with Chelsea were sold at a Reserve game.The attendance was close on 23,000.

I was at that game and the replay at Stamford Bridge.

I'm not the oldest Frank. Ben's Grandad is older than me.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yorkie said:
I was at that game and the replay at Stamford Bridge.

I'm not the oldest Frank. Ben's Grandad is older than me.

Yorkie would I be that ungracious ? After all a gentleman would never ask a lady her age. But having said that how ol.........

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think Porky is the senior member on here. :drink:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I believe that Doug it right, and I'm younger than Doug.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
bhaexpress said:
Yorkie would I be that ungracious ? After all a gentleman would never ask a lady her age. But having said that how ol.........

No worries. I've never been shy about my age.
I'm 57 next Sunday

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Many harpy returns for next Sunday and in fact (as I'm no gentleman) I already knew your age as I believe you know mine. I think that Doug is four years older than me as well.

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
My first game was the 1-0 defeat at Meadow Lane by Notts County in 1983, aged 8. Due to poor choice of fixtures to attend, it was a year or so before I saw Albion win (away to Cambridge in 1984 I think).

My uncle celebrates 60 years of watching the Albion in Janaury 06, so he told me on Saturday.

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
jevs said:
Can't remember who against but it was in 1976

Blimey mate, you've got to find out.

Mine was in the East Stand against Watford, 1-1, 1.1.83, and according to the record books I witnessed Wardy's last league goal for us.

Buggered if I can remember it though.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Home to Liverpool 3-3

Think it was 1981 !!!!

anyone remember it ? We were 3-1 down at one stage and recall a fantastic diving header ( Case I think) to make it 3-3.:clap2:

1975 v Hereford Utd - a top of the table clash -and we won 4-2!

most expensive seats in the West Stand for £1.75
Programmes for 5p

and you tell that to kids today and they don't beleive you.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
anyone remember the reserve game against Charlton appx 1977 ish where there was 15000 odd for the first half, as you had to get your Derby County tickets that game.

it was so awful everyone left at half time.

It wasn't that it was awful (but I seem to remmber it not being very good) its just that they sold you your Derby ticket as you went through the turnstile, and they didn't open any exits until half time.

Withiut checking the exact date, it t''was againgst Portsmouth 1968 ish I was 7 or 8 and we lost!

LC

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
London Calling said:
Withiut checking the exact date, it t''was againgst Portsmouth 1968 ish I was 7 or 8 and we lost!

LC

The only time we played Pompous in 1968 it was in the old League Cup and we won 1-0. They were in the division above us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here