Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shit. I'm old.(First Albion match etc etc)

Thinking more about it, I recall my first ever game I can remember was Man U v Benfica '68 final.

Therfore my Portsmouth experience must have later. 69 or even 70.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
First Albion match was away to Ipswich in January 1983, we lost 2-0.

First ever football match was Chelsea v Ipswich on January 1978 when I was 11, I can remember going with a mate and his dad, Chelsea won 5-3.

I also have memories of the classic Leeds Chelsea cup final matches in 1970 and the first League game to be broadcast in colour, I think it was Derby-Fulham, however in b/w they both seemed to be wearing white shirts and black shorts.:lolol:

LC

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
London Calling said:
Thinking more about it, I recall my first ever game I can remember was Man U v Benfica '68 final.

Therfore my Portsmouth experience must have later. 69 or even 70.

I bet it would have been in 1973 when they beat us 2-1 at the Goldstine (and relegated us) possibly ?

bhaexpress said:
I bet it would have been in 1973 when they beat us 2-1 at the Goldstine (and relegated us) possibly ?

Could well be! Goes to prove what old age does to you, now what is this post about again????

LC

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
London Calling said:
Could well be! Goes to prove what old age does to you, now what is this post about again????

LC

Just a guess while I scrub up my anorak :lolol:

I remember that match because Pompous took the North Stand only to have it taken back by a bunch of 'visiting' Millwall fans !

And they talk about the good old days .....

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
bhaexpress said:
Sorry it was definately 1968 ! I was there :D :D

We moved to Goldstone Crescent in 1969 and Pompey in the first round was my first game (aged 10). Guess that rules out 1968. Er, unless we'd popped over from Belfast for the game...but I'm sure I'd remember that.

Still, what about the third round ... 30k plus and the mighty Wolves (Derek Dougan and all) scraped it 3-2...gutted, or the 60s equivalent, for a month I was.:(

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Ding Dong ! said:
Home to Liverpool 3-3

Think it was 1981 !!!!

anyone remember it ? We were 3-1 down at one stage and recall a fantastic diving header ( Case I think) to make it 3-3.:clap2:

I always remember us being 3-1 up in that game and Rush nicking a draw for them late on....or am I confusing that with the time he got the winner in extra time (LC) to give them a 3-2 win in about 1988?

Forgive me, a lot has happened since 1969...except me Mum & Dad are still in Goldstone Crescent (er,I think) :D

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Early seventies - Brian Powney in goal, John Napier, Kit Napier, Willie Irvine, Harry Wilson etc

Remember one game where John Napier clashed heads with one of our own players.

Earliest vivid memory - winning 7-2 against York after being 2-2 at half time I think - Gerry Fell scored three (Gerry-atrick, geddit?) then a short while later listening at home on the radio to Albion v Walsall, 0-0 at half time, laughing cos my Dad had gone and it was pissing down, then we came out in the second half and scored 7!:clap2:

portlander

Jul 16, 2003
Portland, Maine, USA
Sometime in the mid to late 60s, sat in the South Stand with my Grandad, I was about 6. I had a huge blue and white scarf that had been knitted for me, it would trail along the ground if it wasn't wrapped at least twice round my neck. Sadly I don't remember many specific games until the 71-2 promotion year although I must have seen dozens by then. I do recall players like the Napiers, Nobby Lawton and Steve Piper, and the oh so comfortable bench seats in the South Stand. For some reason my Grandad always wore a tie to games, and smoked his pipe. Lilelong addiction for me too, even though thousands of miles away now.

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Norman Gall - Brian Powney Testimonial versus Chelsea.

Um, supporting Chelsea. :nono: :blush:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Shuggie said:
We moved to Goldstone Crescent in 1969 and Pompey in the first round was my first game (aged 10). Guess that rules out 1968. Er, unless we'd popped over from Belfast for the game...but I'm sure I'd remember that.

Still, what about the third round ... 30k plus and the mighty Wolves (Derek Dougan and all) scraped it 3-2...gutted, or the 60s equivalent, for a month I was.:(

Thinking about it you could be right, my apologies.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Vlad the Impala said:

Join the club! When I first moved to Sussex I carried on supporting Chelsea with Palace as my 2nd team (parental pressure - my old man really DID say 'Be a Palace fan') for several years before being converted. I remember being moritified when 'we' only drew 1-1 with Brighton in the FA Cup in 1967 having told all my new friends how Chelsea were going to thrash their little seaside team. 4-0 replay win was some comfort though.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Vlad the Impala said:

I was a Chelsea supporter up until I was about 8 or 9 - Peter Osgood was my hero. Remember my Dad taking me to the Goldstone to see us play Chelsea when I was about 7? (1972?) and we sat in the West Stand - luxury, as previously we had always stood in the chicken run.

Just couldn't bring my self to carry on supporting them when Ossie, Alan Hudson, Charlie Cooke et al all went.

bhaexpress said:
Just a guess while I scrub up my anorak :lolol:

I remember that match because Pompous took the North Stand only to have it taken back by a bunch of 'visiting' Millwall fans !

And they talk about the good old days .....

You may well be right, i remember starting that match in the north before seeking safety in the chicken run.

LC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here