Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shit Films

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Cheeky Monkey said:
Think for yerself, not what Empire magazine's top 100 films of all time would have you think. Neggst you'll be telling me 'On the Waterfront' is quality!!

Not that you must, but have you seen Touch of Evil, The Magnificent Ambersons and Lady of Shanghai?

I would recommend that you do and seek mood rather than explosion. All f***ing brilliant in their own ways.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Cheeky Monkey said:
Think for yerself, not what Empire magazine's top 100 films of all time would have you think. Neggst you'll be telling me 'On the Waterfront' is quality!!

Citizen Kane is far from my favourite movie, but I do enjoy it. Cynics try to play down it's greatness today because they see so many later films that have copied its innovations that they've lost sight of how groundbreaking they were at the time. But Welles did bring many new things to the screen in that movie that had never been done before, including revolutionising the way scenes were lit (although you could argue some of his ideas were derived from the German silent cinema of the 1920s).

Perhaps his greatest idea was having the camera in a trough when filming Kane and raised up when filming everyone else. That way the audience are forced to "look up" to Kane and look down on everyone else, and find themselves drawn almost unknowingly into the action.

And "On The Waterfront" IS quality...

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Avengers

The Witches of Eastwick.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Cheeky Monkey said:

Honourable mention to Citizen Kane :yawn:

First major film to use non-linear narrative.

Probably used in the majority of your favourite films.

Like slagging off Bell's original telephone because your Nokia handset is better.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Sixth Sense. About two minutes in, my (then) girlfirend at the time and I both looked at each other and said "he's the ghost". End of film.

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
pasty said:
Sixth Sense. About two minutes in, my (then) girlfirend at the time and I both looked at each other and said "he's the ghost". End of film.

Blimey, that bit still surprises me when I watch it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here