Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shirt Sponsor Confirmed

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It'll be interesting to see how much new business it brings for them. 446 jobs on site at the moment.

I just can't work it out. The numbers just don't add up to me. Unless being the main sponser for the Albion is a low-mid 5 figure sum. Also it doesn't seem to be the greatest time or city to set up a jobs website. Very strange one.

Good luck to them anyway

It does seem a strange one, makes you wonder how much the Albion sold the front of the shirts for. Perhaps with all the excitement over Falmer and playing in the CCC next season we are overstating our estimation of the value of the sponsorship?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It does seem a strange one, makes you wonder how much the Albion sold the front of the shirts for. Perhaps with all the excitement over Falmer and playing in the CCC next season we are overstating our estimation of the value of the sponsorship?

I wouldn't have thought so.
Regular weekly national and international TV coverage on the BBC and Sky, as well as a few live games thrown into the pot. I'd have thought the front of a Championship football clubs shirt would be a HUGELY attractive advertising slot for many, many businesses.

I don't mind the new sponsors being on our shirt, we could and have had a lot worse in the past. But bearing in mind the stadium is sponsored by a huge global brand (abeit their European HQ is on our doorstep), I am surprised at the comparatively "two-bob" nature of this company getting our shirt deal.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I just can't work it out. The numbers just don't add up to me.

do you think Ryman sales increased by sponsoring Millwall? Did Kingston Communication increase sales by sponsoring Hull's ground (and shirt at one point?). do you think Skint sold lots more of their eclectic range of big beat artists?

there are im sure many others, but these spring to mind as sponsors that have an association with the clubs owner the home town, rather than purely financial concerns. we've seen above the sponsor has been setup but a consortium of local businesses, who have big pockets.

Last edited:

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
great move. the bold text of 'brighton and hove' stans out and will make the kit look great.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Not at all - there are many, many 'Rightmoves of the recruitment industry' in that they are large, sophisticated, national (most international) jobs warehouses for Recruitment Agencies, and direct employers, to advertise their positions.

This is very niche and it's not as if Brighton is an employment hot spot, is it? Which is why so many people jump on the train and head to that there London every day.
Rightmove in it's inception was co founded by Halifax PS, Sequence and Hambro CW not unlike this creation with Amex L and G ect.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
For a company that is so small and niche, I'm amazed they have the kind of cash required.

Have you looked on their website? They list their "founding partners" as: BHA, Bupa, Amex, City College, Domestic & General and Legal & General.

That's not exactly "small and niche" funding. If Amex are a serious "founding partner" and considering they're sponsoring our stadium as well, they could actually have put uo a lot of this cash themselves. They have a big commercial interest in Brighton, a site like this will benefit them hugely if it's a big success.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
do you think Ryman sales increased by sponsoring Millwall? Did Kingston Communication increase sales by sponsoring Hull's ground (and shirt at one point?). do you think Skint sold lots more of their eclectic range of big beat artists?

there are im sure many others, but these spring to mind as sponsors that have an association with the clubs owner the home town, rather than purely financial concerns. we've seen above the sponsor has been setup but a consortium of local businesses, who have big pockets.
But the numbers still dont add up.

Lets say they fill 100 jobs a week at £50. If there is that many jobs in Brighton!! (Consdiering most large employers like Amex and L&G will pay the monthly £299 fee, £50 seems a generous avergae point), thats £5k a week roughly 250k a year. Out of that comes running costs say 60k staff wages and interent fees. The MD isn't going to be taking peanuts out of it, say 60k min a year wages. Is this sort of thing VATable? If so you need to take 20% of £250k = 200k, 20%ish corp tax = £160ish. Take out the running cost/directors wages, there isn't going to be an awful lot left as it is, without shelling out to sponser a championship club!!

And I would think filling 100 jobs a week is almost impossible in Brighton over a sustained period, it could be nearer 100 a month and on that very rough basis 100 x 12 x £50 is £60000 a year?

Very rough and grabed out of the sky numbers, but as I say, to me it doesn't add up.

But good luck to them

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Maybe they are paying a small amount and it is more an 'ethical' choice?

Mr Peters would seem to have a history with the club and AITC, so perhaps he is paying a peppercorn fee for the time being.

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
Doesn't the Argus list 400 jobs available every week?

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I like it. It's a lot better that TiTs or whatever it was. That said, I think the sponsor is only really an issue if you wear the replica shirts.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Maybe the fella just wanted a box but they had sold out so this was the only way, a bit like Fatboy Slim and his parking space!

I think its great that we have local sponsors, local ales, local pies etc

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Have you looked on their website? They list their "founding partners" as: BHA, Bupa, Amex, City College, Domestic & General and Legal & General.

That's not exactly "small and niche" funding. If Amex are a serious "founding partner" and considering they're sponsoring our stadium as well, they could actually have put uo a lot of this cash themselves. They have a big commercial interest in Brighton, a site like this will benefit them hugely if it's a big success.

The jobs market in Brighton and Hove is small and niche. FACT.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And I would think filling 100 jobs a week is almost impossible in Brighton over a sustained period, it could be nearer 100 a month and on that very rough basis 100 x 12 x £50 is £60000 a year?

Very rough and grabed out of the sky numbers, but as I say, to me it doesn't add up.

But good luck to them

i can certainly agree that £250k doesnt make for a large business (btw, you only pay corp tax on profits over a certain quite high amount) . £60k isnt really enough to sustain a business for anything more than a one/two man band. so we have to draw one of these conclusions:

* your numbers are wrong.
* they will be bust before the summer ends.
* there isnt alot of overheads and actually a few hundred grand is plenty enough.

the subtext to what i as saying before is that, given they have been set up by Amex, L&G and others, maybe one of those businesses is paying the money and the logo is taking the limelight.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Doesn't alter the FACT that a company with founding partners like AMEX and L&G isn't gonna be exactly skint (if you'll pardon the pun).

I'm not suggesting they will be skint nor that they'll go bust.

Given the stature of their backers, and what will be a reasonably chunky investment in the front of our shirts, there is obviously more to it than "small, new, local website sponsors the Albion".

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Did Kingston Communication increase sales by sponsoring Hull's ground (and shirt at one point?).

Not a particularly good example given that Kingston Communications were owned by Hull City Council. And guess who paid for Hulls new ground ( and I guess own it ) ? That's right, Hull City Council.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Is it possible Mr Peters has put up the cash himself, while using it as a vehicle to promote his company? He then claims bits back from the profits as part of his dividend. I don't know, as I'm not a corporate lawyer, so I wouldn't know if such things were legal, but obviously some people do put money into their own firms. Presumably some personal boxes at the Amex will be put through a company's accounts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here