Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

shipperley

E

enigma

Kinky Gerbils said:
True but you could say the Same when Zamora got crippled by notts county - it may just inspire the others to do better, also dont forget Henderson has got 10 goals in a lot less games than King and Young is a very good player.

Okay, I see that. But I would rather be in Leeds position with those four. Particularly as their four have a lot of experience at this level.

Henderson has done very well. Young has been playing more on the wing, but apparently he can play striker as well.Im not saying they're bad- but Leeds have the upper hand for me.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Fragmented Badger said:
Obviously Leeds have more depth and established strikers than Watford, but as we showed with Bobby maybe it is better to just have one player you can rely on for goals. None of Leed's stars seem to be in absolutely magical form. Interesting to see that Watford have scored fourteen MORE goals than Leeds this season. Their attack must be doing something right.

What I haven't really understood all season is where do Sheffield United's goals come from - they dont seem to have anybody who has scored many? Must share them around I guess.

Which is always better I think - like you have already indicated if the teams only goal producer gets injuried they are in trouble.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Fragmented Badger said:
I suppose you have to get lucky and hope your main striker doesnt get injured all season, or at least doesnt miss many games. Comparing these three teams, Leeds and Sheffield seem to share them around (Sheffield more successfully than Leeds who really havent scored many), whereas Watford are the one team near the top who rely on one man, a la us with Zamora. If you ignore Reading, Watford have scored more goals away from home than ANYONE else, and only LUTON have scored more at home. It seems their way does work....

Watford have two strikes in the top goalscorers chart.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Im bored so here are the top 5 goal scorers for each club.

Marlon King 18 0 0 0 0 18
Ashley Young 12 0 1 0 0 13
Darius Henderson 10 0 0 0 0 10
Matthew Spring 8 0 0 0 0 8
Clarke Carlisle 3 0 2 0 0 5

Rob Hulse 11 1 0 0 0 12
David Healy 9 2 0 0 0 11
Robert Blake 11 0 0 0 0 11
Richard Cresswell 5 0 2 0 0 7
Jonathon Douglas 5 0 0 0 0 5

Steven Kabba 9 1 0 0 0 10
Danny Webber 9 0 0 0 0 9
Neil Shipperley 9 0 0 0 0 9
Paul Ifill 7 0 0 0 0 7
Phil Jagielka 7 0 0 0 0 7

E

enigma

I see that. Just had a look and King has 18 for the season, Young 13 and Henderson 11. Next highest is Spring with 8.

Leeds have Hulse on 12, Healy and Blake on 11 and Cresswell on 7.

I guess Leeds dont have the prolific player like Watford, but a range of options is always useful, particularly in the tight games they will be probably involved in. But I agree that is nice to have one consistent scorer. However, maybe Leeds scoring is as a result of their constant rotation- I'd like to see the minutes the various strikers had played for Watford and Leeds. Also, Leeds look to be more defensive, so maybe they dont need the goals as much.

Fragmented Badger said:
Thanks for that. Ok then, in my opinion, Sheffield United DEFINITELY have the worst set of strikers. I can see why they are keeping hold of big Neil if that is all else they've got.

Akinbiyi has been missed out.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
bhanutz said:
you actually wrote to Neil Warnock?

Why?

have you nothing better to do?

:clap: 'fraid that is a little geeky even for the North stand clichy.....!

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
London Irish said:
Just because we have relatively little money didn't mean we didn't try hard though. We have chased about 40 players in recent months, some went elsewhere because of money and better facilities, some wouldn't be released by their clubs, and some were judged just not much better than the likes of CKR and OGH we already have.

The club would have to be seen to be 'trying hard' because it would have looked fool-hardy if they hadn't.

But how many of those 40 players were realistic targets. You know, some papers quoted players like Rasiak etc, I mean really, how realistic was that? It's fine having ambition, but even we know the limitations at the moment.

I just don't think it is acceptable, or for that matter, even probable that NO-ONE came during the window, I really don't.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Fragmented Badger said:
Thanks for that. Ok then, in my opinion, Sheffield United DEFINITELY have the worst set of strikers. I can see why they are keeping hold of big Neil if that is all else they've got.
???

Akinbyi
Horsfield
Webber
Kabba
Shipperly

is hardly poor is it???

I think all three clubs have about equal quality up front, Leeds have the most depth though. Leeds will finsh 2nd, Sheffield United are falling apart.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Seagull73 said:
The club would have to be seen to be 'trying hard' because it would have looked fool-hardy if they hadn't.

But how many of those 40 players were realistic targets. You know, some papers quoted players like Rasiak etc, I mean really, how realistic was that? It's fine having ambition, but even we know the limitations at the moment.

I just don't think it is acceptable, or for that matter, even probable that NO-ONE came during the window, I really don't.

Wayne Henderson signed and Paul McShane extended his loan.

Seagull73 said:

Bastards! And to think they would have got away with it if it wasn't for the pesky kids and the rapier intelligence of Seagull73! :thumbsup:

Seriously, isn't it more likely they did try hard, rather than sitting around on their fat arses making up stories to plant on North Stand Chat that only the likes of London Irish and Yorkie would swallow.

I agree with you it was devastating that we haven't found a striker, but it is believable given that we had the twin pressures on us of a) actually having to find someone who's good, and b) not settling for another high-odds gamble like El Turi.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here