Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shawshank Redemption

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
It's based on a Stephen King novella called "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" . It's in a book of 4 short stories by King called Different Seasons which also includes the short story that the film Stand By Me was based on.

Is the correct answer.

Actually for those wetting their pants about SR, there was another film from this book called Apt Pupil, which stars Ian McKellan. The best story from the 4 in my opinion which the film does a good job at recreating.

So watch that film too, and while you are at it watch Withnail and I, Angelheart, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Glengarry Glen Ross, City of God, La Reine Margot, The Man Who Would Be King and all the other amazing films out there before commiting to SR as the greatest ever film.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I saw a film with a big ship that sunk at the end a while back. The name escapes me. Anyone seen it and know what it might be called ?.

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
I'm a bit puzzled by some of the hostility here to be honest. Don't recall ever becoming so wrapped up in a film that it led to a disappointing incontience incident. To balance the scales a bit and show how everyone's tastes are different I found Glengarry Glenn Ross tedious. But then I'm no Leonard Maltin.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I'm a bit puzzled by some of the hostility here to be honest. Don't recall ever becoming so wrapped up in a film that it led to a disappointing incontience incident. To balance the scales a bit and show how everyone's tastes are different I found Glengarry Glenn Ross tedious. But then I'm no Leonard Maltin.

Hahaha, very good.

Evidently though you are quite correct, you are no Leonard Maltin, his comments on GGR were as follows:

Leonard Maltin Review: 3 stars out of 4

"David Mamet's scorching, profane, Pulitzer Prize-winning play about an office full of desperate real-estate salesmen-cum-con-artists is faithfully reproduced with a gallery of stunning performances. Pacino is dynamic as the office hotshot, Lemmon totally credible as the loser, and Baldwin is dynamite (in a part created especially for the film) as an insulting "motivator." Never succeeds in being anything but a photographed play, but when the play and the actors are this good it's hard to complain."

Chinchin.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
GGR is the greatest emsemble of acting talent and performances of all time and that is a fact. Baldwin's 9 minute " motivational " speech is one of the greatest scenes of all time.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Lemmon should have got an Oscar for GGGR.
As for Shawshank - yes, a brilliantly portrayed film of hope, determination and buttfucking. I've seen it plenty of times and I seem to cry more the older I get. Favourite film? Not by a long shot.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
What's wrong with it?! Awful droning voiceover that, as well as being tedious, is 400% cheese; gut-wrenchingly over-sentimental, apparently the only film that 'real men' are allowed to cry over (give me a break); badly acted, and way too bloody long. Probably THE most over-rated film of all time.

In my humble opinion, of course :)

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
GGR is the greatest emsemble of acting talent and performances of all time and that is a fact. Baldwin's 9 minute " motivational " speech is one of the greatest scenes of all time.

I'd beg to differ there.

The Longest Day is pretty darn impressive in its casting.

Eddie Albert
Richard Burton
Red Buttons
Sean Connery
Mel Ferrer
Henry Fonda
Curd Jürgens
Roddy McDowall
Sal Mineo
Robert Mitchum
Kenneth More
Robert Ryan
George Sega
Rod Steiger
Robert Wagner
Stuart Whitman
John Wayne

A Bridge Too Far Away

Dirk Bogarde
Sean Connery
Ryan O'Neal
Gene Hackman
Edward Fox
Michael Caine
Anthony Hopkins
James Caan
Maximilian Schell
Hardy Krüger
Liv Ullmann
Elliott Gould
Denholm Elliott
Laurence Olivier
Robert Redford

And to finish it off, some of the finest comedic actors ever in the monster cast of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Milton Berle
Buddy Hackett
Ethel Merman
Mickey Rooney
Phil Silvers
Terry-Thomas
Spencer Tracy
Jonathan Winters
William Demarest
Jimmy Durante
Peter Falk
Jim Backus
Jack Benny
Buster Keaton
Don Knotts
Jerry Lewis
Carl Reiner
The Three Stooges

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think

Pacino
Lemmon
Harris
Spacey
Baldwin

And the performances they actually deliver beats the lists you have given by some margin.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think

Pacino
Lemmon
Harris
Spacey
Baldwin

And the performances they actually deliver beats the lists you have given by some margin.

I think that's your bias talking.

In each film I provided there's actors who are of the same or higher standard than those you presented.

That's not even taking into consideration the Iconic presence in Film of some of those names legacy has created.

Buster Keaton alone stands above everyone you have named bar possibly Pacino and he did so much of it without the benefit of sound.

If youve never seen it, watch Keaton's The General and then come back and tell me Lemmon, Baldwin and co are even in the same hemisphere as him.

They wouldn't even claim they were.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here