Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shawshank Redemption

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Jesus wept. Not a terrible film or anything, but certainly not inspirational or groundbreaking. I make sure i don't watch it again everytime it's on. Once was enough.
A prison drama like Un Prophete just earlier this year was much more interesting and telling, i thought.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
:eek: What are you, a robot or something?!

borg_1.jpg

I'm the one on the right. :thumbsup:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Jesus wept. Not a terrible film or anything, but certainly not inspirational or groundbreaking. I make sure i don't watch it again everytime it's on. Once was enough.
A prison drama like Un Prophete just earlier this year was much more interesting and telling, i thought.

Exactly, formulaic stuff, nothing sensational at all and yet people wet their knickers over it for some unfathomable reason. If I had a Bridget Bardot poster from 50 Million Years BC (or however many it was) for every thread created on NSC for this fugging film over the years I'd have 14.5 Bridget Bardot posters.

err innit

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Exactly, formulaic stuff, nothing sensational at all and yet people wet their knickers over it for some unfathomable reason. If I had a Bridget Bardot poster from 50 Million Years BC (or however many it was) for every thread created on NSC for this fugging film over the years I'd have 14.5 Bridget Bardot posters.

err innit

glad there are some sane people about.

Next Weeks Film Review: The Usual Suspects - Alright Film or the f***ing High Water Mark of Mankinds Artistic Achievements?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I have, but it didn't get me I'm afraid.

You've clearly not seen Cool Runnings though!

As for The Shawshank Redemption, it's a great film but not anywhere near best ever. Whilst it's an example of an emotional story done pretty much perfectly (apart from the closing scene which is the wrong ending), it's also a story done very much 'to formula', and I've always found it a little trite and dare i say it manipulative.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
LOVE Shawshank - in my top 5 favourite films

have Green Mile Sky+'d and haven't got round to watching it , may do on Monday I reckon

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Has anyone else seen it hahahhahahahaha. Yes, I am sure many people have. It should have won the oscar for best picture that year but for some reason forrest gump won it... Seriously WHY!

My only guess why is that it didn't do very well at the cinema, and it was only after it was released on video and especially after being brought from the bargain bins in shops etc, that word of mouth played a part to make it became as popular or highly rated as it is now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can I just verify the spelling please? Is it 'Shawshank Redemption' - I'm struggling to find details about it via Google.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not a bad film, Mississippi Burning was an awesome film

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Not heard of that one myself. A mate was telling me about some film called Pulp Fiction or something the other day. Anyone heard of it?

Think i brought a dodgy copy of Pulp Fiction, the storiy time line seemed to jump back and forth all over the place - did this happen to anyone else, should i take my copy back?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Tim Robbins kind of dropped off the map after this film which was a shame as he played the role perfectly. great film but it was more for the cinematography and the musical score for me. Some of the shots are just stunning. And as mentioned it didn't do very well at the box office hence its lack of awards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here