Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane McFaul agrees to sign for the Albion

Nicky Rust

Jan 3, 2008
Hove
Yes thanks. Whilst your patronising manner annoys beyond belief I do agree that some experience wouldn't go amiss in the current squad, but it has to be the right player. Hopefully Wendy and Dick are still working on that.

So you're arguing that we should be signing players on a free on the day when we just signed a player on a free? A good point well made! Unfortunately, teams don't give proven 20 goal a season strikers away. Clubs gamble on players like Sharpe and every now an then it works out big time. Who is to say that that won't be the case with McFaul?

If you knew anthing about football the players i have mentioned have all had a good standard of football to show on their cv,Sam Oji was once an Aesenal youth proguct bought by Birmingham nad now at Orient for a fee!, Gillespie was a youth Product at Liverpool where as we get frr transfers from the like of Braintree an a University!! So i'm sorry but i win my case!....But it dosent mean McFaul wont make it but its just not what has delivered the good in the past e.g all our recent signings!!. I am excited about seeing him like any Albion fan! abd hope all the best but you know yourself if Cheltenham can find premiership rejects for free, so can we!!!!!!!!!!!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
If you knew anthing about football the players i have mentioned have all had a good standard of football to show on their cv,Sam Oji was once an Aesenal youth proguct bought by Birmingham nad now at Orient for a fee!, Gillespie was a youth Product at Liverpool where as we get frr transfers from the like of Braintree an a University!! So i'm sorry but i win my case!....But it dosent mean McFaul wont make it but its just not what has delivered the good in the past e.g all our recent signings!!. I am excited about seeing him like any Albion fan! abd hope all the best but you know yourself if Cheltenham can find premiership rejects for free, so can we!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicky Rust was ex Arsenal, so I'll rest mine :)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
As is Leon "Division 2" Knight.

Ah yes, that little turncoat. The examples given are not that great. Gillespie joined Cheltenham from Bristol City, so presumably he was settled in that area. I don't think we would have been able to compete with City for his signature. This Oji chap, is he any good? His stats would suggest that he has only made 8 starts in his whole career.

There are bound to be a few players that slip our net, but we are competing with a large amount of clubs and each transfer will depend on various circumstances i.e. Location etc. For every success story, there are also many bitter failures.

I remember we tried desperately to sign a Sidwell on a free from Arsenal. Whatever happened to him?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Matthew Wicks was at Arsenal and Man Utd and was still shit, as was Joe O'Cearuill and Graham Barrett. Then you have Stefan Gislasson...

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
As has been mentioned. Ex-premiership doesnt mean shit all. A player is signed on ability not reputation. McFaul is an Under 21 international and must have shown some ability to get to that stage. He has been on trial with us and must have shown something in training to warrant this move. Being ex-prem isnt everything. This signing might turn out to be a shrewd one. The player wont be coming with lofty ideas of his own ability which being at a Prem club might have given him. I always got the impression that Leon Knight's main problem was that he still thought he should be in the Chelski team. Anyway, lets give the lad a chance.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
sounds like you werent listening to the phone-in after the Mansfield game !

You keep banging on about the phone in. I personally would rather cut off my toes, fry them up and eat a toe sandwich in crusty, mouldy bread than listen to the demented and delusional that phone in to Harty's or any other phone in for that matter.

text in if you've ever eaten food :bla:

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
No, you clown, you miss my point. I'm obviously not going to make a point of "going mental" on February 1st. What I mean is that while this signing on its own isn't exactly inspirational, I think it's only fair that we give the club the whole of January before making a judgment. It doesn't really matter WHEN we sign the players, so I'll give it until the end of the month before I make my decision on whether the club have done well, and I hope most people will do the same.

Even if we don't sign anyone else, I wont be on the clubs back.

abert_serving_spoon.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here