Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sh*t or bust for Poyet

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
But again, I ask..... who acquired this excellent squad?

Who turned the likes of Adam El Abd from an ongoing League One joke into an accomplished Championship defender?

Who signed a Plymouth reject not good enough to score a single goal for SALISBURY CITY and TORQUAY UNITED in 11 matches, and turned him into a brilliant League One striker and effective Championship player?

Who spent barely a PITTANCE on the collective quality of Orlandi, Bruno, Lopez, Kuzscack etc?

Who persuaded England internationals to come here on loan?

The simple fact is that we would not be able to attract anywhere near the quality of these players with most other managers in this division.

Gus is a victim of his own success. I personally believe, on performances ALONE, we should be top of the table at the moment. But the very reason the performances are so incredible is because of the manager. If you want to criticise the manager for "underachievement" then surely you have to recognise that he has put together the squad, and he has implemented the stunning style of play that actually has us in CONTENTION for the playoffs.

Magnificent post. :bowdown:

Gus is massively under the pressure he has built for himself, and I'm sure he wouldn't want it any other way. He has done, and continues to do, a magnificent job here. We were struggling badly when he arrived, and now we don't really have anything to complain about. As people, and football fans in general do, we'll find something to moan about. But we really shouldn't be anything other than delighted with our progression so quickly.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't buy all this "He raises some good points but people criticise him because it's WW" argument. WW is a troll, he deliberately posts these threads to get a reaction and sometimes he's right and more often he's wrong but he genuinely doesn't care. He goes to practically every game and that is not the actions of a man that perennially pissed off with the club.

But if you want a genuine answer to this thread, has anyone asked him why it's shit or bust this season? We all know, Tony Bloom included, that we are tantalisingly close to getting the perfect mix. And the decision as to whether it's a failure or not lies with Tony Bloom and not WW. Tony and Gus enjoy a good relationship and Gus is one of the most highly rated managers outside the Premiership. Get rid of Gus and bring in who? But WW doesn't care about what you think and frankly, it doesn't matter anyway.

I don't buy all this "He raises some good points but people criticise him because it's WW" argument. WW is a troll, he deliberately posts these threads to get a reaction and sometimes he's right and more often he's wrong but he genuinely doesn't care. He goes to practically every game and that is not the actions of a man that perennially pissed off with the club.

But if you want a genuine answer to this thread, has anyone asked him why it's shit or bust this season? We all know, Tony Bloom included, that we are tantalisingly close to getting the perfect mix. And the decision as to whether it's a failure or not lies with Tony Bloom and not WW. Tony and Gus enjoy a good relationship and Gus is one of the most highly rated managers outside the Premiership. Get rid of Gus and bring in who? But WW doesn't care about what you think and frankly, it doesn't matter anyway.

7th in the league and still moaning :facepalm:

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
1) You shouldn't be able to get away with letting your best player go to your rivals on a free and taking 18 months to replace him. He has. However, you can't get away with signing a player, not giving him much of a chance, then dropping him just as he comes into a bit of form and never playing him again, only for him to bang them in on loan to your arch rivals and fire them to promotion alongside the top scorer in the division that you let go. If Dobbie is a roaring success at Palace, it will be an absolute embarrassment from a Brighton & Hove Albion perspective, absolutely no two ways about it. Let's hope he doesn't.

2) There are no excuses for not getting a team containing:

Kuszczak (Premier/Champions League/International experience)
Bruno (La Liga/Uefa Cup experience)
Bridge (Premier/Champions League/Internatinoal experience)
Vicente (La Liga/Champions League/International experience)
Lopez (La Liga/Uefa Cup experience)
Orlandi (Premier League experience)
Upson (Premier League/International experience)
Crofts (Premier League, won promotion from Championship)
Hammond (won promotion from Championship)
Buckley (one of the most highly rated wingers in the Championship)
Ulloa and CMS (£5m strikeforce)
Bridcutt (one of the most highly rated players in the Championship)
LuaLua (one of the most exciting players in the Championship)
and Ashley Barnes into the play-offs.

No excuses whatsoever. We're underachieving as it is. Fail to make the play-offs and he can do one. Why do you think we're losing £8m a year? He's spent a small fortune on the squad, but at the moment we're being shown up by the likes of Watford, Millwall, Burnley and P*lace. Yeah, so Wolves and Blackburn have spent loads and failed - that doesn't mean it won't be total a disgrace if we don't finish in the top 6.

Last chance saloon. Shit or bust.

With any luck we'll end the season with a trip to Wembley and a winners medal. Although I don't hold out much hope.

Can we also have your perspective on the state of the stadium, the catering, the park & ride, the trains, the beers and the meaning of life in general - keep it short eh. :yawn:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just because its WW.

He is RIGHT tho. With the SQUAD we have WE ARE underachieving. None of this look where we were 10 years ago with Santos and Marney if my granny had balls she would be my grandad bollocks. Bolton game, Wolves, Brum etc etc its TREND and NOT a one off. We now have TOP TOP LEVEL experience. This means we should AT WORST be sixth and in all honesty third.

Still a long way to go granted BUT at present NOT GOOD ENOUGH WITH HE SQUAD WE HAVE.

On the basis of our wage bill we shouldn't be third though.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Magnificent post. :bowdown:

Gus is massively under the pressure he has built for himself, and I'm sure he wouldn't want it any other way. He has done, and continues to do, a magnificent job here. We were struggling badly when he arrived, and now we don't really have anything to complain about. As people, and football fans in general do, we'll find something to moan about. But we really shouldn't be anything other than delighted with our progression so quickly.

He's built that pressure with Tony Bloom's MONEY.

Not our money, no, we're losing far too much. It's all BLOOM's.

Bloom has given him that pressure because he wants promotion.

There's no doubting Poyet's ability to bring in talent (jury's out on strikers though). But a good manager brings in talent and gets results out of it, as opposed to massively upgrading the squad but showing little progress in results.

A page or so back someone makes the point in amongst all the tools calling me a troll. YES, The Amex is amazing, YES we've come a long way from the days of Colin Hawkins, YES it's great that we're signing quality players. But it's a results business and our results should be better than we are. Some people simply don't realise this, and instead prefer to consider the sun to shine out of Poyet's arse. It doesn't, otherwise we wouldn't be on the same amount of points as Burnley!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
He's built that pressure with Tony Bloom's MONEY.

Not our money, no, we're losing far too much. It's all BLOOM's.

Bloom has given him that pressure because he wants promotion.

There's no doubting Poyet's ability to bring in talent (jury's out on strikers though). But a good manager brings in talent and gets results out of it, as opposed to massively upgrading the squad but showing little progress in results.

A page or so back someone makes the point in amongst all the tools calling me a troll. YES, The Amex is amazing, YES we've come a long way from the days of Colin Hawkins, YES it's great that we're signing quality players. But it's a results business and our results should be better than we are. Some people simply don't realise this, and instead prefer to consider the sun to shine out of Poyet's arse. It doesn't, otherwise we wouldn't be on the same amount of points as Burnley!
God you're really a dullard,in your world the sun does'nt shine,if your so unhappy maybe you should look at supporting another team....does'nt matter who the manager was you'd still whinge!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
otherwise we wouldn't be on the same amount of points as Burnley!

Is this the same Burnley who turned down a £7 million bid for their star striker earlier this week and were recently in the Premiership or another one?

I appreciate that you are a troll, as well as a liar, but by focussing on the Albion to the total exclusion of the teams we compete with shows that you are ignoring their financial backing and ambitions, and experience in this division.

Palace have a strike force of FFS, Kevin Phillips, Dobbie, Zaha and Bolassie, Cardiff and Leicester both have far more experienced and expensively assembled squads than the Albion. Boro could afford to bid £5 million for Danny Graham, Watford are bankrolled by Italian funny money and looked the best side I have seen at the Amex this season.

To survive, let alone compete in the Championship you need to invest significantly in the squad, all we are doing is treading water with the signings we have made.

Last season results were often better than performances, this season the reverse is the case IMO. The failure to close out some matches (Bolton and Birmingham) is frustrating, but we equally have played poorly (though not often) and picked up points at Blackpool and Blackburn.

Poyet makes some good decisions and some bad ones, which makes him the same as most in his profession.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
No manager has a magic wand, Gus cant just wave it and create a team. Managers need time to build and make the players believe in their theory. I can only see Gus being here for years to come.
Dobbie has never been a great player and never will be, loaning him out to a rival maybe have been a mistake, but when he is your highest paid player, something has to give. I can only see us going up the table and Palace falling down the table.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
It's funny how people think because we have a few ex premier players, that we should be at the top. Most clubs in this league are full of experienced players who have played in the premiership or who have players that will play there next year. It is not also about how much money you have to spend. QPR do a good job of spending a lot of money and still sit at the bottom of the PL. Norwich did not have a big budget compared to other teams and they went up. Money helps and you need a good manager. We have a good manager and as for money we are mid table in this league. So we are doing well to be challenging for a play off place. WW why do you not look at the financial state of all the clubs in this league and the cost of the teams put together by the clubs. I think you will find we would not be in the top 6 for price per player. I am happy to stay in this league and would like to go up automatically next year or the year after.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

I still think he should get a girlfriend

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
How can anyone take this guy seriously?

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
back to back promotions, and a formidable team in the championship with one of the best squads we have ever had? yeah, poyet is wank...... muppet

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The concern isn't so much WW, it's easy to just ignore him. The problem is with the people who say he's got a point, who seem to think his fishing/trolling exercises are anything other than an exercising in ignoring the reality of football (we're not the only team on the pitch - it isn't just about us) and taking the most negative interpretation of things possible, and then acting as if the world could end if things don't go as ideally as he (pretends he?) expects them to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here