Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Setanta Loses Premier League Rights

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think worthai meant ESPN don't have a channel here to show them on, if they got the rights.

I only know of espn classics. Is there another espn broadcasting in britain that I've not seen?

I'm not sure he did mean that, but in any case what is to stop them launching another channel.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They are a foreign broadcasting company...they cannot launch a channel here .Thats why they havnt come in with a bid for the Package thats up for grabs

They've already got a channel here as have Disney and I don't recall them being particularly British.

Cartoon Network, CNN also have channels here, as do Discovery.

Are you suggesting foreign companies can't launch channels over here ? That's news to me.

Last edited:

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
Discovery broadcast from Chiswick, I used to work for them.

Cartoon Network broadcasts from Great Marlborough Street, I used to work for them.

Next.....

Apologies..didnt realise. Anyway , im only going on what i heard today from a couple of tv guys i was working with.... doesnt really matter anyway . Someone will get to have 23 Premiership matches ,apart from Sky !

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I'm just so sick of one company having the rights to x,y,z and they wonder why people view matches illegally online. It would be ok, if someone like Sky offered a pay per match service, but its all or nothing. I would certainly pay for some matches if they this type of service.

I also cannot understand why the BBC cannot get the rights to the premiership and some England games so everyone can watch. Is it a case they cannot afford it, are you telling me SKY has more money than the BBC, or is it the BBC is too tight?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The BBC's problem is that it's hard to justify paying a fortune from the licence fee to show something that other commercial broadcasters would buy and transmit free of charge to the viewers.

It's a valid point too. It'd surely be better that the licence fee is spent on programmes that are brilliant, but unlikely to be produced by anyone else because of the vast cost involved e.g. Planet Earth...

Perhaps what this collapse proves more than anything is that, if the EU is serious about breaking Sky's monopoly position, it will have to specify that one package must be made available to the highest bidding free-to-air broadcaster. It wouldn't necessarily be great for football though, as Sky would then want to pay less for their rights.

It can't be right though that two companies have now gone under simply through trying to challenge Sky's market dominance.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
I'm just so sick of one company having the rights to x,y,z and they wonder why people view matches illegally online. It would be ok, if someone like Sky offered a pay per match service, but its all or nothing. I would certainly pay for some matches if they this type of service.

I also cannot understand why the BBC cannot get the rights to the premiership and some England games so everyone can watch. Is it a case they cannot afford it, are you telling me SKY has more money than the BBC, or is it the BBC is too tight?

Yes, yes i am....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The BBC's problem is that it's hard to justify paying a fortune from the licence fee to show something that other commercial broadcasters would buy and transmit free of charge to the viewers.

It's a valid point too. It'd surely be better that the licence fee is spent on programmes that are brilliant, but unlikely to be produced by anyone else because of the vast cost involved e.g. Planet Earth...

Perhaps what this collapse proves more than anything is that, if the EU is serious about breaking Sky's monopoly position, it will have to specify that one package must be made available to the highest bidding free-to-air broadcaster. It wouldn't necessarily be great for football though, as Sky would then want to pay less for their rights.

It can't be right though that two companies have now gone under simply through trying to challenge Sky's market dominance.

What this does show is that the EU has to to tighten up it's competition laws. Sky pretty much have the monopoly again.

I'm no sure exactly what the answer is but the current legislation clearly hasnt worked.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They dont have channels HERE.....they broadcast from the USA

Will the satellite dish at Jodrell Bank be the only one to pull in the signals ? :rolleyes:
Numerous foreign broadcasting companies uplink from the UK so we can watch their channels on satellite. :)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They are a foreign broadcasting company...they cannot launch a channel here .Thats why they havnt come in with a bid for the Package thats up for grabs

ESPN America is on Sky's epg at channel 417
ESPN Classics is on Sky's epg at channel 442
The only problem they might have with launching a new channel/bouquet is obtaining the epg slot/s if Setanta is still going. If Setanta goes bust they can take over their channel numbers but otherwise they will have to purchase a slot/s from a placeholder (eg ?TV and ?TV+1 on 262/263) or a channel which is going to fold. Presently Sky's epg is full and until they make adjustments this is the only way to get a channel number.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
really? how on earth have they ended up oweing that much, surely if they had tax liabilities like that they'd have been manking enough money to pay the bills???

If its tax on profits then yes they would have made money but that doesnt mean they have it in the bank.

Say they made a million profit and the tax is £300k. The £1M profit could have easily been spent servicing bank loans which would then leave nothing to pay the tax.

It won't be PAYE/NI contributions, these are payable monthly.

Maybe, but being payable monthly doesnt mean they were actually paid

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
ESPN America is on Sky's epg at channel 417
ESPN Classics is on Sky's epg at channel 442
The only problem they might have with launching a new channel/bouquet is obtaining the epg slot/s if Setanta is still going. If Setanta goes bust they can take over their channel numbers but otherwise they will have to purchase a slot/s from a placeholder (eg ?TV and ?TV+1 on 262/263) or a channel which is going to fold. Presently Sky's epg is full and until they make adjustments this is the only way to get a channel number.

Thinking about it, they wouldn't need a whole new channel for the football anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here