Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Setanta Loses Premier League Rights

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Now been revealed that Setanta also owe the tax man £50,000,000

really? how on earth have they ended up oweing that much, surely if they had tax liabilities like that they'd have been manking enough money to pay the bills???

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
As painful as it was having the rights on 2 channels I don't think this is good news. Setanta was pretty small fry so unless you had money to burn Sky was enough as they got most of the games. Now when the rights come up for auction again in a few years can see there being a big split if ESPN or someone with real backing gets involved. Games could be all over the place or god forbid clubs start negotiating their own deals when will only ever get the 'big' 4 on tele.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Well, presumably monthly subscription will drop as a lot of the cash must have been going on the Premiershit, which I couldn't give a toss about. I may well sign up now and watch some proper BSP footie.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
really? how on earth have they ended up oweing that much, surely if they had tax liabilities like that they'd have been manking enough money to pay the bills???

You don't just pay tax on profits. It'll be VAT and PAYE liabilities ..... but it does seem excessively high.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
And who will be able to afford the 23 Premiership matches 'up fpr grabs'.. certainly NOT ITV, or Channel 4, who themselves are in deep financial Doo Doo!
Pretty sure that the Beeb wont be able to afford, or have the channel availability to show the games live ....not sure where the games will be shown...unless the regulators back down and let Sky have the lot . A decision has to be made very soon, as its only a few short weeks till it all starts again.
And then theres the fate of a few Scottish clubs now, who have spent the money promised from Setanta, and of which one or two may well not make the start of the next season. ....frightening really !

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
The American financers that were going to take over Setanta have pulled out . Also think that ESPN have been told NO... taxi for Setanta!

ESPN didn't want to bid/buy Setanta but they are now making a move in to the market to buy some of their rights.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
I dont think Sky are allowed anymore premier league packages. So the games will be going somewhere else.

Wrong.

Sky currently has 4 of the 6 packages for the Premier League for the 2009/10 season, and therefore can buy another package (23 games). The other package of 23 games will have to be sold off elsewhere.

From the 2010/11 season, Sky has 5 of the 6 packages so the remaining package of 23 games that season and for the next two season will also be sold off elsewhere.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Pretty sure that the Beeb wont be able to afford, or have the channel availability to show the games live

Beeb can afford, just need to justify. im sure they can find space for MotD somewhere between BBC1, BBC2, BBC3* and BBC4 (* i reckon)

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Beeb can afford, just need to justify. im sure they can find space for MotD somewhere between BBC1, BBC2, BBC3* and BBC4 (* i reckon)

The two packages on offer are the 5.15 on Saturdays and Monday evening games, from 2010/11 the Monday evening games will be on Sky so I imagine they'll pick those rights up for this season aswell.

I think the BBC should at least attempt to bid for the live Saturday evening game, it's not really like theres much else on (well apart from Come Dancing but that can be shown around 8.30)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The two packages on offer are the 5.15 on Saturdays and Monday evening games, from 2010/11 the Monday evening games will be on Sky so I imagine they'll pick those rights up for this season aswell.

I think the BBC should at least attempt to bid for the live Saturday evening game, it's not really like theres much else on (well apart from Come Dancing but that can be shown around 8.30)

I'd be surprised if the BBC gave it's prime time Saturday night slot to sport on a regular basis.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
I'd be surprised if the BBC gave it's prime time Saturday night slot to sport on a regular basis.

Can always hope. They could put the Come Dancing on a Sunday evening also, but it's unlikely to happen.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

BBC3 doesn't tend to start broadcasting until 7pm, if they pick up the 5.15 saturday games they would likely use that channel, either shifting their regular saturday stuff over, or putting the footie on bbc3.

Or is there some sort of regulation that would prevent bbc3 starting earlier?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here