Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Setanta Loses Premier League Rights

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Can always hope. They could put the Come Dancing on a Sunday evening also, but it's unlikely to happen.

For the best I think.

I've never got my head round a late Saturday evening kick off and I doubt very much than the non Sky viewer will either.

Unless it was a very high profile game, I'd imagine the BBC would actually lose viewing figures at that time.

Since Come Dancing actually makes them money, I'd doubt very much it would get shoved into Sunday for the sake of a Premiership game.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
BBC3 doesn't tend to start broadcasting until 7pm, if they pick up the 5.15 saturday games they would likely use that channel, either shifting their regular saturday stuff over, or putting the footie on bbc3.

Or is there some sort of regulation that would prevent bbc3 starting earlier?

Why would the BBC push their prime time shows onto BBC3 ?

Why would the BBC push something as high profile as the premiership onto BBC3

Why would the premier league sell to the BBC if it was going to shown on BBC3 ?

Unless the rights are cheap, I'd be surprised if we see them on the BBC at all.

Personally, I'd like to see ITV pick them up on the cheap.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
BBC3 doesn't tend to start broadcasting until 7pm, if they pick up the 5.15 saturday games they would likely use that channel, either shifting their regular saturday stuff over, or putting the footie on bbc3.

Or is there some sort of regulation that would prevent bbc3 starting earlier?

BBC Three and CBBC are joint channels (I believe anyway) and CBBC doesn't finish broadcasting until 7pm when BBC Three starts so I don't think it's possible.

Although apparently, BBC Three want to extend their viewing hours but I don't see the point really as all the show is repeats.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006

That's not as bad as it sounds, although ITV HD should be automatically available to those on Sky HD if they were to get the rights.

(ITV HD is rather good quality actually isn't it?)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why would the premier league sell to the BBC if it was going to shown on BBC3 ?

whats wrong with BBC3? greater reach than Sky.

where would they put the football? probably one of thier digital channels like they do with the Chmpions League and FA cup. so no different to Beeb. and do you really want to hear more of Pleat and Townsend?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
whats wrong with BBC3? greater reach than Sky.

where would they put the football? probably one of thier digital channels like they do with the Chmpions League and FA cup. so no different to Beeb. and do you really want to hear more of Pleat and Townsend?

Nothing wrong with BBC3. You can't really compare it SKY on an audience basis, since it's a premium subscription channel.

I'd like ITV to get it on the cheap, to help them out financially.

I think we need ITV to prosper.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
These will disappear, and as i said in an earlier post, with dire consequences for Scottish football. It is believed that one or two clubs could fold , as they have already spent the money promised to them from Setanta ......exactly the same that happened to some of our league clubs with ITV digital.
Why do they spend the money before they get it ??
I think there will also be a problem with the PGA golf contract as well, although i imagine Sky will be delighted ...exept that the money offered by Setanta for the rights was so unbelievably huge that there is no way that Sky will pay that sort of money for the American golf.....they may just stick with the majors that they already have.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'd like ITV to get it on the cheap, to help them out financially.

I think we need ITV to prosper.

fair enough. but only if they get some decent commentators and pundits. Sheringham's ok so they could improve.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
really? how on earth have they ended up oweing that much, surely if they had tax liabilities like that they'd have been manking enough money to pay the bills???
The £50M is a VAT bill they haven't paid :)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
These will disappear, and as i said in an earlier post, with dire consequences for Scottish football. It is believed that one or two clubs could fold , as they have already spent the money promised to them from Setanta ......exactly the same that happened to some of our league clubs with ITV digital.
Why do they spend the money before they get it ??
I think there will also be a problem with the PGA golf contract as well, although i imagine Sky will be delighted ...exept that the money offered by Setanta for the rights was so unbelievably huge that there is no way that Sky will pay that sort of money for the American golf.....they may just stick with the majors that they already have.

3 or more SPL clubs might go into administration. Until Setanta officially go bust we wont know what is going to happen with all the sports rights they hold other than the football ones. As I said in another thread , Racing UK and Racing World will have to be a standalone channel or merge with ATR and survive from the revenues of red button betting. Arsenal TV , Liverpool TV , Celtic TV and Rangers TV will be taken off satellite and made online access only.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I dont think Sky are allowed anymore premier league packages. So the games will be going somewhere else.

It was suggested on Talk Sport yesterday that the normal rules maybe waived for a season as it could be too late to sort out the mess. Giving Sky the chance to take on more packages than normally allowed for the 1 season

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It was suggested on Talk Sport yesterday that the normal rules maybe waived for a season as it could be too late to sort out the mess. Giving Sky the chance to take on more packages than normally allowed for the 1 season

Sky can still bid for one of the two available packages as they only have 4 at present and under EU competition rules are allowed a maximum of 5. ESPN may be successful in gaining both packages and will certainly take the remaining package if Sky outbid them for the other one.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why would the BBC push their prime time shows onto BBC3 ?

Because of the audience a live footie match would bring in would probably rival celebrity dancing, and so they'd put the footie on their prime channel, but would want to keep the celebrity dancing audience happy so have to air it somewhere.

Why would the BBC push something as high profile as the premiership onto BBC3

Because the tradition of saturday evening family entertianment is too strong to move about and risk upsetting their audience, because putting football on bbc3 would bring to that channel the sort of demographic that would like some of their other programmes (family guy, two pints of lager, etc)

(I know, that contradicts the first part, I put both down, because those will be the arguments for BBC when deciding where to place the footie matches, on the one hand, it's football big tv draw, on the other hand there's tv tradition).

Why would the premier league sell to the BBC if it was going to shown on BBC3?

Money. If the premier league can't sell the rights to sky, they'd sell them to the highest bidder. Their willingness to sell to ITV digital and Setanta show they don't care about potential audience or channel, it is highest bidder only that matters to them.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
Sky can still bid for one of the two available packages as they only have 4 at present and under EU competition rules are allowed a maximum of 5. ESPN may be successful in gaining both packages and will certainly take the remaining package if Sky outbid them for the other one.

ESPN cannot get the bid because they dont have broadcasting rights in this country.. Premiership has to be shown here !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here