Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Tried to run before they could walk, took on far too much

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Tried to run before they could walk, took on far too much

That is unfortunatley true. If they didn't get the rights for the Premier League then they'd probably still be around but the massive debt that got them in has well and truly cost them. They should have stuck with Gaelic football and the SPL until they had the money to attempt to do battle with BSkyB and Sir Rupert Murdoch.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't think that's likely.

When ITV digital collapsed they still broadcast everything they were scheduled to for something like 6 months after everyone knew it was game over.

It would only happen if the company lost EVERYTHING and wasn't physically able to broadcast. And as shit as their portfolio of sport is there's still enough to interest outside parties with an eye on making waves in the market who could pump a bit of money in to keep things ticking over before thieving whatever could potentially prove profitable

Television is generally a lot more complicated than that. For instance off the top of my head there are only two broadcasters (Sky and Turner Networks (Cartoon Network, CNN and a bunch off others) who do their own transmission.

If whoever handle Setanta Sports havent been paid either they will simply turn the whole thing off.

If whoever uplink the signal to the satellite havent been paid, they will do something similiar.

I worked at a company many years ago in London where a foreign satellite channel rented space and facilities to broadcast back home.

They didn't pay their bills and owed the company a lot of money. One day they stuck a long playing tape, and legged it out the country.

Last edited:

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
I wonder if they'll try and take another subscription payment from me?

Apparently they've been taking regular payments before the 7th June but have stopped after that.

The website is also down for subscriptions, displaying the same thing that appeared on the Woolworths site about maintenance.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Apparently they've been taking regular payments before the 7th June but have stopped after that.

The website is also down for subscriptions, displaying the same thing that appeared on the Woolworths site about maintenance.

Not quite, it looks like they quite literally removed (or renamed) the subscriptions page from the web server.

Something you would only do in a rush and er... for free.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I've just been on the Setanta site and it said that for a one off payment of €50 000 000 I could have Premier League football for the 09/10 season!?

Seems a tad pricey :ohmy:

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
I've also noticed that if you try and click on the subscribe now page it puts up an error page! Looks like they are winding it up as we speak. In fact every link to subscribe anywhere on the site sends you to an error page or page not found, they look fooked!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've also noticed that if you try and click on the subscribe now page it puts up an error page! Looks like they are winding it up as we speak. In fact every link to subscribe anywhere on the site sends you to an error page or page not found, they look fooked!

Although that's probably been advised by the lawyers as they try to sort their problems out.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
It's currently still up and running but Setanta Sports 1 is free-to-air at the minute ???

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
last man out, turn out the lights.

D

Deleted User X18H

Setanta is alive and well this morning!!

Just saw part of a very entertaining 'Football Matters'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here