Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Setanta going off air tonight

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
just looking on Martin Lewis's money saving site and he says if your paying Setanta subscription using reoccurring payments form a credit or debit card then you cant cancel yourself, only the company can so you could have the hassle of trying to get in contact with any administators and hoping they cancel the payments. Apparently you can phone up and change the way you pay to direct debit which you can then cancel yourself at any time.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If you wanted, you could subscribe to Setanta INSTEAD of Sky Sports (or even sky), I know people that do.

:wave:

I don't watch much Premier League football, but enjoy the occasional BSP match and the European football that they show, as well as various news shows and other sports that they air.

The cost of Sky is prohibitive in my opinion, and I doubt I'd ever spend that much on a TV subscription. Setanta offered a product that appealed to me at a reasonable cost. I hope they survive.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I don't watch much Premier League football, but enjoy the occasional BSP match and the European football that they show, as well as various news shows and other sports that they air.

The cost of Sky is prohibitive in my opinion, and I doubt I'd ever spend that much on a TV subscription. Setanta offered a product that appealed to me at a reasonable cost. I hope they survive.

Concur

Why would I want to spend £40 quid on sky when I can watch the few matches they show and I want to see down my local for a price of a diet coke?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel sorry for Steve Claridge. The last few years of his football carrer was spent with a host of clubs, then he joined Sky, then jumped ship to Setanta. I bet he thought he'd finally found a home, poor sod...maybe he could replace Harty on the phone-in?!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Exactly. If it wasn't for the NFL, that would be my choice too. The rugby coverage on Setanta is great as well.

Yet for some reason people on here seem to think of Setanta as some evil company that took football away from Sky, as opposed to one that offers a different package for less than Sky.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Exactly. If it wasn't for the NFL, that would be my choice too. The rugby coverage on Setanta is great as well.

Yet for some reason people on here seem to think of Setanta as some evil company that took football away from Sky, as opposed to one that offers a different package for less than Sky.

Its not that they are an evil company more to do with poor customer service. Its not Setanta's fault that the EU completly bodged things up by saying the rights had to be split between 2 stations. By making people pay twice for football the one with the most games was always going to win.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Its not that they are an evil company more to do with poor customer service. Its not Setanta's fault that the EU completly bodged things up by saying the rights had to be split between 2 stations. By making people pay twice for football the one with the most games was always going to win.

But you don't HAVE to pay twice for football.

It's actually quite a sad indictment of our society that people are prepared to spend so much money to watch a bunch of foreigners representing teams that they don't support rather than having a bit of a life.

How many football matches can a person watch every week? Setanta has more than enough for me, thanks. If there happens to be a particular game I'd like to see that's only on Sky, then I go to the pub or a mates house to watch it, but that honestly doesn't happen very often.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I like to think that as an ironic twist Setanta's last act should be to replay the 1966 World Cup Final then, just as Kenneth Wolstenholme utters those immortal words:

"They think it's all over...it is NOW!" the plug gets pulled and the screen goes dead.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
hang on, am I right in thinking that Setanta have the rights for the Guiness Premiership next season?

Setanta have the rights to just some games the season after next, they and Sky were going to share coverage with twice as many games shown live

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Concur

Why would I want to spend £40 quid on sky when I can watch the few matches they show and I want to see down my local for a price of a diet coke?

...or an Americano with soya milk :lol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think BSkyB will have all the Premier League games next season, and from the 2010/11 season one of the packages will be sold elsewhere.

Very much doubt they'd be free-to-air.

Under EU competition rules , one broadcaster cannot have 100%. Sky can bid for one of the two Premier League packages won by Setanta for next season to give them 5 out of 6.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Setanta have issued a statement on their website to the effect that it is business as usual , the channels are still on air and that they are NOT in administration. Emergency talks are still continuing to arrange new finance. Personally , I think the plug will be pulled on Friday.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Under EU competition rules , one broadcaster cannot have 100%. Sky can bid for one of the two Premier League packages won by Setanta for next season to give them 5 out of 6.

This is a strange law... whilst I apprieciate the need for such a rule, I never really understood why it applies to some sports and not others.

Premier league football has to be sold off as packages, however one broadcaster could leagally buy the rights to every England game.

Similarly, the beeb has the rights to all 17 Forula one Grand Prix, and all matches at Wimbledon - why aren't these championships broken up?

Good law, its just strange how they apply it (although I am bloody glad that the BBC has all the F1).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This is a strange law... whilst I apprieciate the need for such a rule, I never really understood why it applies to some sports and not others.

Premier league football has to be sold off as packages, however one broadcaster could leagally buy the rights to every England game.

Similarly, the beeb has the rights to all 17 Forula one Grand Prix, and all matches at Wimbledon - why aren't these championships broken up?

Good law, its just strange how they apply it (although I am bloody glad that the BBC has all the F1).

The rules apply to subscription TV so that one company doesn't end up with a complete monopoly. There are no restrictions to PSB's bidding for and winning sports rights plus the fact that some sporting events are protected and have to be shown free.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here