Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Seriously ???? Lamptey to Wolves on loan?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Sadly since his injury he just hasn't looked the same player. Its almost as if he holds himself back nursing his suspect hamstrings. The good news for him is RDZ likes him so will get next season at least to reprove himself

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
No idea how you could draw that conclusion? A couple of years ago in the PL, he was arguably our best player in the PL. Loads of MOTM peformances and rave reviews in the PL.

Yes injuries and form have curtailed him, but that doesnt guarantee he cant get back to those levels. If he can, he will again be a good PL player.
I said *defender*

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Sorry to jump back to Thread Title - kinda a bit too tired to read back previous posts but Lamptey going on loan has been a real possibility for months.

- what made him a highly skilled FB for us was his exceptional acceleration and sprint speed given De Zerbi’s heavy reliance on FB involvement in our transitional attacking, fast overlapping patterns and cut backs with the wingers.

Personally, I don’t think a season out on loan will do him any harm to build up stamina at a slightly less demanding level where he will be less prone to injury and then perhaps see where we are with him at the end of 23/4 before he is out contract in 24/25.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
No idea how you could draw that conclusion? A couple of years ago in the PL, he was arguably our best player in the PL. Loads of MOTM peformances and rave reviews in the PL.

Yes injuries and form have curtailed him, but that doesnt guarantee he cant get back to those levels. If he can, he will again be a good PL player.
Simple really, when he first arrived he was lightning quick and could make up any lost ground To cover his defensive frailties. Since he's made of the same tissue paper as Webster, he broke, and that, sadly is that.

He has always been a disco option, with an attacking bias, never would have got in the squad with CH, He was the ray of sunshine under Gpot as we'd turned into an all passing no scoring performance art project which was sending many of us into involuntary comas . . . Anyway . . . Still a good and useful squad player. IF he's fit, but he's not, and rarely is, at our current level.

If he was fit fast and fighting I'd see a future here, . . . If someone wants to give us a load of money for him, and he's happy to go, rip their arm off.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Simple really, when he first arrived he was lightning quick and could make up any lost ground To cover his defensive frailties. Since he's made of the same tissue paper as Webster, he broke, and that, sadly is that.

He has always been a disco option, with an attacking bias, never would have got in the squad with CH, He was the ray of sunshine under Gpot as we'd turned into an all passing no scoring performance art project which was sending many of us into involuntary comas . . . Anyway . . . Still a good and useful squad player. IF he's fit, but he's not, and rarely is, at our current level.

If he was fit fast and fighting I'd see a future here, . . . If someone wants to give us a load of money for him, and he's happy to go, rip their arm off.
Or put even simpler than we both stated - he’s not as fast as he used to be and prone to injury 😁

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Was he ever a good defender for 90 minutes?

His strength in those early days was brilliant attacking and that pace, sending opposition LB’s and LW’s into panic.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sorry to jump back to Thread Title - kinda a bit too tired to read back previous posts but Lamptey going on loan has been a real possibility for months. Are we talking about this?

His balance is still good but what made him a highly skilled R FB for us was his exceptional acceleration and sprint speed given De Zerbi’s heavy reliance on FB involvement in our transitional attacking, fast overlapping patterns - however he’s sadly not fully regained his “prior to Hamstring” agility imo - he also has a slightly lazy foot and can pull out of tackles a bit late, gifting free kicks in dangerous areas. (A bit like Dunk does with his long legs but who manages to use it as dark art 🙂)

Personally, I don’t think a season out on loan will do him any harm to build up stamina at a slightly less demanding level where he will be less prone to injury and then perhaps see where we are with him at the end of 23/4 before he is out contract in 24/25.
Well, that's one question answered, thanks - contract ends 2025. Big close season for him, I guess - who knows what RDZ will decide (clue: 'who knows' - well, neither you nor I for a start!). Can see potential logic in a loan to a mid/lower mid PL side, to see if he can cut it for a full season. There are questions as to whether he can still be the same player after his injuries, which only he can really answer - a loan might be the way to give him that opportunity.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Well, that's one question answered, thanks - contract ends 2025. Big close season for him, I guess - who knows what RDZ will decide (clue: 'who knows' - well, neither you nor I for a start!). Can see potential logic in a loan to a mid/lower mid PL side, to see if he can cut it for a full season. There are questions as to whether he can still be the same player after his injuries, which only he can really answer - a loan might be the wa to give him that opportunity.
I agree - I also think we all want a deeper bench going into the Europa but the first step will be to loan out players not ready to do 90 mins - Moder may still be an ‘if‘ as well - we need to bloat the bench with asset value youngsters who are already to make starts and older players able to go the distance as anticipated by the summer window - (obviously given the increase in fixtures next season)

I have a feeling we will be running hard at the Carabao and FA Cup, top 4 and League Cup next year based on RDZs pressers- he’s wants it all and I think TB is drinking the kool aid too.

it going to be a busy summer!

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Im not sure he's that bad, he is PL standard. I believe his strength is definitely more in the attacking sense than defending, and he was/is a good player for a team playing a back 3, which we used too but dont really anymore.

With a back 4, you have to be able to defend and thats the weakness in his all round game.
I agree I don't think he's bad at all, and is definitely PL standard. I think the biggest difference for him between this year and previous seasons is the change in tactics/formation. We no longer play wing backs or 3 centre backs. So his favoured wing back position is gone, and with one less centre back position, Veltman has moved into the right back slot. So Lamptey is now competing with probably our most consistent player over the last few seasons.
Lamptey also doesn't play centrally, so he can't cover centre back, and if you pushed him further forward he's competing with March and Encisco.
I feel really sorry for him, because I don't think he's done anything wrong. He's just a bit unfortunate.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
Dedic from Salzburg is an excellent option (who I mentioned last summer) as he is a natural fullback who can operate on either side.
Dedic has played well in recent games as Salzburg won crucial matches to win the Bundesliga. Just realised he’s only 20, I’d have guessed a few years older than that. Chap playing left full back is a CB covering for injury who has grown into the role well over the last month. Name of Bernardo.

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
I have a feeling we will be running hard at the Carabao and FA Cup, top 4 and League Cup next year based on RDZs pressers- he’s wants it all and I think TB is drinking the kool aid too.
That's such a shame. I was relishing a possible trip to Dublin for the Europa League Final.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I agree I don't think he's bad at all, and is definitely PL standard. I think the biggest difference for him between this year and previous seasons is the change in tactics/formation. We no longer play wing backs or 3 centre backs. So his favoured wing back position is gone, and with one less centre back position, Veltman has moved into the right back slot. So Lamptey is now competing with probably our most consistent player over the last few seasons.
Lamptey also doesn't play centrally, so he can't cover centre back, and if you pushed him further forward he's competing with March and Encisco.
I feel really sorry for him, because I don't think he's done anything wrong. He's just a bit unfortunate.
Enciso.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Shades of what happened with Lua Lua.

Never the same after he broke his leg.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The article states that one of the stumbling blocks is Sporting convincing him to play in Portugal/leaving the premier league. If I was a player I think I'd jump at the chance if it turned out I was surplus to requirements at my club(if indeed he is deemed surplus to requirements).

It might not be the greatest league in the world in terms of depth but the top teams are decent, you'd play in front of 50,000 every home game, have some cracking matches against Benfica and Porto and you get to live in Portugal.

As someone who hasn't played in a while and has had injury problems it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to spend a year or two playing at a slightly less competitive and physically demanding league. Less games too.

Then if things go well Europe is your oyster. Clubs from any league on the continent would not only be interested but able to afford you. You could have a career taking in some or all of England, portugal, Italy, Spain, France for example. That would be an awesome career and preferable, IMO, to knocking about the mid/lower levels of the premier league for a dozen or so years.

That all being said I'd be delighted if he got his fitness, form and confidence back and turned into the right sided version of Estupinian.

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
TBF there have been worse efforts

Screenshot_20230527-143548.png

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Much as I love Lamptey he is not reliable enough as an RB hence why the relatively slow Veltman always plays. Unless we van turn him into an AMR I think his time is up.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The negativity on here about Lamptey not being adequate for the PL, I just don't understand it.
Previously he has shown his qualities in being a pacey, energetic RB with a strong will and good determination.
Of course injuries have affected him physically and since he has come back it seems to be hard for him to get back to that previous level.
However he has time to grow, and I believe he has a good mental attitude, maybe Brighton isn't the club for him now but he still does have a lot of potential.
I'll tell his parents your comments, I'm sure they'll be relieved after all the negativity on here.
He's still lightning fast.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Rumours of a bid incoming from Sporting. Offer estimated to be around 8-10m euros.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here