Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seriouly, did we not play better under Wilkins?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I don't think it is the midfield or the players it is Adams and his long ball hoof it tactics which are for dinosaurs as football has moved on.
Is it any wonder why Adams couldn't get a job until Knight stepped in ?

Spot on. An Adams TRAIT is hoofball, always has been and now he has been found out by a better side.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
IMHO, yes we did play more attractive football under Wilkins, but I don't think that's a surprise. We all knew what Adams brings, and it's a disciplined, hard-working team that is generally tough to beat. And it's because of that last expectation, that yesterday came as such a shock. Yep, a defeat has looked like it's been coming, but the ease with which Sunthorpe created chances was horrific.

Adams "style" is all very well, when it creates a winning team, but it's pretty hard to stomach when the team gets as savagedly raped as we did yesterday.

Yep kinda agree, ultimately if the results flow then lets all applaud Adams, but there is not a footballing reason at present that that is likely to happen.

The critical point is that if you accept that Adams style and skills might bring poor poor football WITHOUT any success and you acknowledge that under Wilkins the football played was superior with decent success, why oh why did DK sack Wilkins ??

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
that is THE FACT THAT DOES NOT LIE :thumbsup:

Unfortunately those do not represent facts.

It is a current form table that represents the results at any given time, over a quite limited period, no more.

It is one dimentional.

It does not give any indication of current playing performance and therefore is unlikely to give any indication of any future performance.

If as anyone worth their salt accept, generally good solid peformances are likely to deliver greater wins in the longer term, where exactly do you find your optimism ??

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Unfortunately those do not represent facts.

If as anyone worth their salt accept, generally good solid peformances are likely to deliver greater wins in the longer term, where exactly do you find your optimism ??

I am an eternal optimist, however, it was very much a poke at Ernest and his :bla:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The critical point is that if you accept that Adams style and skills might bring poor poor football WITHOUT any success and you acknowledge that under Wilkins the football played was superior with decent success, why oh why did DK sack Wilkins ??

I know that you, like me are an ardent Wilkins supporter and disappointed that he got the sack. However, it's become apparent that there was a lot more going on at the football club that meets the eye and unfortunately, Wendy was instrumental in his own downfall. It's not about performances, otherwise DK would not have stated that he would have been sacked if we had have got promoted. I still maintain his side plays better football than that of McGhee and Adams though.

D

Deleted member 2719

Yep kinda agree, ultimately if the results flow then lets all applaud Adams, but there is not a footballing reason at present that that is likely to happen.

The reason he sacked Wilkins because he would not brown nose him and wasn't a media spin man - DK seemed to forget the fact that he had some longevity as a manager and he let his own personal view of Wilkins get in the way of a man who could take the Albion to the next level and beyond.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Spot on. An Adams TRAIT is hoofball, always has been and now he has been found out by a better side.

But the team didn't play 'Hoofball' away at Crewe; & although we were right under the cosh for much of the match at Southend, we still looked to play balls to feet most of the time. I just don't know what the hell is happening at home for them to resort to this crap. It'll be more than a tad interesting to see what they serve up away next Saturday. If they don't put in a performance I'm gonna start worrying.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
We were clinically punished yesterday for making basic errors. Yet, we also had periods later in the first half and early in the second, where we created at least six or seven decent chances.

We all want to see decent results and entertaining football, and the home games so far have failed to deliver. But it's still *far* too early in the season to justify some of the wailing on this board.

Keep the faith and get behind the team - we'll get there, but accept it will be a rollercoaster ride. That's the Albion for you:bigwave:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I know that you, like me are an ardent Wilkins supporter and disappointed that he got the sack. However, it's become apparent that there was a lot more going on at the football club that meets the eye and unfortunately, Wendy was instrumental in his own downfall. It's not about performances, otherwise DK would not have stated that he would have been sacked if we had have got promoted. I still maintain his side plays better football than that of McGhee and Adams though.

You have fallen for it, the progress of the football club has absolutely nothing to do with Reid, Hart and Mayo, they are irrelevant to the clubs progress, I promise you.

Their own opinions and performances will never impact positively on the future successes of the football club and I am guessing Wilkins himself felt that too.

Why would you expect Wilkins to massage those ego's that could never deliver success, its madness.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
we probably did play better under Wilkins, but then we didnt have the stength on the ball.

I think the problem with both Wilkins and Adams is that they dont have a plan B if plan A doesnt work in a game. So when we are loosing or trying to win a game, neither seemed to have another system they could revert to.

Scunthorpe was only one game we lost, but even in the other home games we just seemed to lack any creative edge.

As I said on the radio yesterday, I thought attacking wise that was probably the best Withdean performance of the season, though we got stuffed, we most of had 10 shots on goal, theier keeper made 3 great saves, and there were 2 great last ditch tackles on Forster.

Im not down beat after the loss, embarrasing though it was, its nothing to think the season is over with

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The league is stronger this year, the clubs that came up have money and are far superior to those that went down.

However we should be stronger this year and be able to combat that. Finishing outside the playoffs would be a failure but as DK has already stated he has a two year plan and that DW wasn't sacked because of the league postion.

The reason he sacked Wilkins because he would not brown nose him and wasn't a media spin man - DK seemed to forget the fact that he had some longevity as a manager and he let his own personal view of Wilkins get in the way of a man who could take the Albion to the next level and beyond.

THEY sacked him, The Board. Is this too difficult for you to understand?

From the official announcement-still there on the club website:

Chairman Dick Knight explained, "This decision has not been taken lightly, but the Board feel we need a manager with the wealth of experience to help the club make the leap into the Championship.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
THEY sacked him, The Board. Is this too difficult for you to understand?

From the official announcement-still there on the club website:

Chairman Dick Knight explained, "This decision has not been taken lightly, but the Board feel we need a manager with the wealth of experience to help the club make the leap into the Championship.

You really beleive the Club line, do you ??

It was specifically the Chairman, Wilkins never accepted certain interference from the Chairman, a grave mistake, there was always only gonna be one winner.

The Chairman at the time couldnt care less about the progress of the club, it was personal.

You see Chairmen and it seems some fans beleive that you can swap and change managers without a significant impact on the club, if the club is failing then a change might be accepted but if you change at a time of relevent success then its a gamble that any Chairman should not take.

DK was more interested in his own personal ego ahead of what might of been in the best interest of the club.

He brought in MA and to some extent it impeased the fans, the club then 'encouraged' a whispering compaign against Wilkins, which was unfair.

Ultimately if you make poor footballing decision it will effect the success of the club and that is unacceptable.

It was specifically the Chairman, Wilkins never accepted certain interference from the Chairman, a grave mistake, there was always only gonna be one winner.

The Chairman at the time couldnt care less about the progress of the club, it was personal.

You see Chairmen and it seems some fans beleive that you can swap and change managers without a significant impact on the club, if the club is failing then a change might be accepted but if you change at a time of relevent success then its a gamble that any Chairman should not take.

DK was more interested in his own personal ego ahead of what might of been in the best interest of the club.

He brought in MA and to some extent it impeased the fans, the club then 'encouraged' a whispering compaign against Wilkins, which was unfair.

Ultimately if you make poor footballing decision it will effect the success of the club and that is unacceptable.

Firstly-I believe the Club line more than I believe you or bhadeb simply because the pair of you have said absolutely nothing to back up your claims.

Secondly, where is your proof of this 'whispering campaign against Wilkins'? The only whispering campaign I've seen is the one you and bhadeb seem to be waging against Dick Knight.

I find it hard to believe that the guy who stepped in to save the club when there was nobody else interested wasn't interested in the progress of the club. You are making more accusations which need proving-do that and I'll join your anti-Dick Knight campaign.

You're Wilkins or Chapman aren't you?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

It is a gamble the board are entitled to take if they believe it to be the right one.

Your post is full of anti-DK assumptions based on your personal agenda.

I, for one, am happy to take the club line until someone can show me why I am wrong to do so. Why should I believe the anti-DK stuff that you and bhadeb post, when there has not been a shred of evidence to back it up?

You two might very well be right but I have seen absolutely nothing that shows you to be.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It is a gamble the board are entitled to take if they believe it to be the right one.

Your post is full of anti-DK assumptions based on your personal agenda.

I, for one, am happy to take the club line until someone can show me why I am wrong to do so. Why should I believe the anti-DK stuff that you and bhadeb post, when there has not been a shred of evidence to back it up?

You two might very well be right but I have seen absolutely nothing that shows you to be.

I have noticed that you accept anything that Boards might do, just because they can or in your view are entitled to.

Your views very rarely include how decisions by the Board might adversly effect the progress of the team, accepting that a decision is made and as it is their entitlment to make it end of discussion.

I think that is a weak and dispassionate view and thats why some will continue to post differing views to yourself.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel.

If Dick Knight is doing things that puts the club and its future at risk they should make what they 'know' public. If their concerns for the club are genuine then they would be offering proof of DK's unworthiness-not simply making insinuations with such monotonous regularity. Surely the long term well being of the football club is of greater importance than a betrayed confidence? If he (DK) is not fit to be the Chairman and there is proof of this then it needs to be made public-remembering the three bastards who sent us down this road in the mid-nineties.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have noticed that you accept anything that Boards might do, just because they can or in your view are entitled to.

Your views very rarely include how decisions by the Board might adversly effect the progress of the team, accepting that a decision is made and as it is their entitlment to make it end of discussion.

I think that is a weak and dispassionate view and thats why some will continue to post differing views to yourself.

Knotty isn spot on - you are hurling around your various assumptions about DK and the sacking of Wilkins, and presenting them as FACT.

"The Chairman at the time couldnt care less about the progress of the club, it was personal."

Thats a serious charge to come up with. Care to share how you KNOW this is the case ? Or will we be treated to some more smoke-and-mirrors bhadeb-style "I can't reveal my source" guff ?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Knotty isn spot on - you are hurling around your various assumptions about DK and the sacking of Wilkins, and presenting them as FACT.

"The Chairman at the time couldnt care less about the progress of the club, it was personal."

Thats a serious charge to come up with. Care to share how you KNOW this is the case ? Or will we be treated to some more smoke-and-mirrors bhadeb-style "I can't reveal my source" guff ?

Why such a serious charge ?

He sacked the manager after finishing 7th last term, something that might be difficult to emulate this season, so why would you not think that it was anything but personal.

It was totally personal, give me a professional reason why that seems a sound decision then, it aint ground breaking stuff !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here