Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seriouly, did we not play better under Wilkins?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
under wilkins the team did fight back if they went behind

A very valid point, given yesterdays performance and the lack of belief after half time. I honestly think people have forgotten some of the performances last season. Southend, Millwall, Crewe and Doncsater spring to mind. Good football, good performances.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
We definitely did not play better last season....remember the games against Mansfield and Port Vale....shocking.

Agree with comments re O'Callaghan...he was a twat but a good player and exactly what we need now.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The football under Wilkins was awful and unsuccessfull. I predict at least one of these things will change under Adams.

You have just said in another thread that you are not convinced we will fiinish in the top six. Labelling the football under Wilkins as unsuccessful (finishing seventh). So we should be looking at an improvement in quality. I see absolutely no evidence of that so far.

DW's first season was a write off. He had no chance to prepare the team at the start of him reign and we were taking on the division with a forward line of Gatting/Robinson/Revell/Hart. I genuinely enjoyed the football in his second season. We played the ball on the ground and produced some decent football at home and some exciting comebacks from slow starts.

Sadly, it seems he was lacking in certain aspects of management and I am willing to accept the reasons from the board. I would be very upset if we had only sacked DW and replaced him with MA as a publicity stunt to put numbers on the gate. It hasn't had an effect so far and will not if we continue to play such dire football.

Maybe this is the kick up the backside that the team needed? One thing that is clear is that the board will need to dig deep and release funds for some more signings.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
You have just said in another thread that you are not convinced we will fiinish in the top six. Labelling the football under Wilkins as unsuccessful (finishing seventh). So we should be looking at an improvement in quality. I see absolutely no evidence of that so far.

DW's first season was a write off. He had no chance to prepare the team at the start of him reign and we were taking on the division with a forward line of Gatting/Robinson/Revell/Hart. I genuinely enjoyed the football in his second season. We played the ball on the ground and produced some decent football at home and some exciting comebacks from slow starts.

Sadly, it seems he was lacking in certain aspects of management and I am willing to accept the reasons from the board. I would be very upset if we had only sacked DW and replaced him with MA as a publicity stunt to put numbers on the gate. It hasn't had an effect so far and will not if we continue to play such dire football.

Maybe this is the kick up the backside that the team needed? One thing that is clear is that the board will need to dig deep and release funds for some more signings.

I don't expect many people to agree with me here
but due to the strength of the league this year compared to last I think finishing 10th this season would be more successful than finishing 7th last season.

I also think that the reason our home form is bad is because the new players have just not got used to Withdean. May not be the only reason but I'm sure it plays a big part.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I also think that the reason our home form is bad is because the new players have just not got used to Withdean. May not be the only reason but I'm sure it plays a big part.

Especially since they have all come from playing at a higher level.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
but due to the strength of the league this year compared to last I think finishing 10th this season would be more successful than finishing 7th last season.

Thats the Adams line ...... and its a weak one.

The players are professional footballers and have a responsibility to impliment a game plan offered by the coaching staff.

Either the players are under performing or the game plan is flawed or both.

There is no real reason to suspect any likely upturn in our form, the performances are poor, even after a few decent results we come and get a hiding from Scunthorpe.

I think League 1 is much tougher this season but you'll have the usual DW groupies trying to compare apples to oranges and getting sour grapes. It is plainly obvious that this year, League 1 has many more teams capable of finishing in the top 6 than last season. This season there are more teams with considerably more money than us (nearly all of them down to the middle of League 2).

Simply bringing Adams back will not guarantee us getting into the playoffs-however, in my opinion it will give us more of a chance than we would have had under Wilkins. Subjective but based on what I saw over nearly 2 full seasons under Wilkins and from what I saw during Adams' first spell at the club.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Tbh, i did only go to 2 games last season, but, surely they couldnt have played any worse under wilkins!

Shouldnt never go back to your old club, unless your name's TONY PULIS.

D

Deleted member 2719

I think League 1 is much tougher this season but you'll have the usual DW groupies trying to compare apples to oranges and getting sour grapes. It is plainly obvious that this year, League 1 has many more teams capable of finishing in the top 6 than last season. This season there are more teams with considerably more money than us (nearly all of them down to the middle of League 2).

Simply bringing Adams back will not guarantee us getting into the playoffs-however, in my opinion it will give us more of a chance than we would have had under Wilkins. Subjective but based on what I saw over nearly 2 full seasons under Wilkins and from what I saw during Adams' first spell at the club.

It really doesn't matter who is in the league this year - Brightons objective at least must be a play-off place whether it is under Adams or was under Wilkins - if we don't achieve this then we have failed and that can easily be put down to Dick decision to persuade the board for a change.

So i would suggest that Knight could be batting on a sticky wicket if Mickey doesn't get him out of jail.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Obviously talkin as a MA groupie eh !!

Love your 'apples and oranges' analogy to somehow discard MA likely failure to match Wilkin's 7th place finish this coming season.

Then you do your own sour grapes with an 'apple and oraage' moment yourself to somehow conclude that Adams was the right choice ahead of Wilkin's due to MA last stint here as manager and totally forgetting his consistent failure in recent years.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

What a sorry, sorry post.

Of course 10th is less succesful than 7th. You know it, I know it, Adams knows it and the board know it. Talk about getting your excuses in early. Swansea, Forest and Donny are easily as good as the three teams that came down, so the league is no different this year, except for Leeds starting on zero (and they finished above us anyway, so they can hardly be held responsible for our 'succesful' drop to 10th).

As for Withdean playing a part - that was a pathetic excuse last week when Adams used it, and its still pathetic, when you parrot is this week. Its a decent pitch, and the rest of it should be irrelevent. It didn't seem to take Scunthorpe's players long to 'get used to it' yesterday.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
What a sorry, sorry post.

Of course 10th is less succesful than 7th. You know it, I know it, Adams knows it and the board know it. Talk about getting your excuses in early. Swansea, Forest and Donny are easily as good as the three teams that came down, so the league is no different this year, except for Leeds starting on zero (and they finished above us anyway, so they can hardly be held responsible for our 'succesful' drop to 10th).

As for Withdean playing a part - that was a pathetic excuse last week when Adams used it, and its still pathetic, when you parrot is this week. Its a decent pitch, and the rest of it should be irrelevent. It didn't seem to take Scunthorpe's players long to 'get used to it' yesterday.

On the face of it it would look that way., but when you compare the teams its quite clearly a much harder league this season. There can be no questions about that.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm not just referring to today and have only seen us at home this season but did we not play better and more attractive football under Wilkins?

IMHO, yes we did play more attractive football under Wilkins, but I don't think that's a surprise. We all knew what Adams brings, and it's a disciplined, hard-working team that is generally tough to beat. And it's because of that last expectation, that yesterday came as such a shock. Yep, a defeat has looked like it's been coming, but the ease with which Sunthorpe created chances was horrific.

Adams "style" is all very well, when it creates a winning team, but it's pretty hard to stomach when the team gets as savagedly raped as we did yesterday.

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
On the face of it it would look that way., but when you compare the teams its quite clearly a much harder league this season. There can be no questions about that.

We are perhaps going to find it harder, because we're not actually looking as good as we were.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I think you need to name all the teams that your consider now make this harder than last year and take into account the teams they replaced. Also bear in mind that we should have a better squad than last year ourselves. 10th is worse than 7th and any record books would show that. In your analysis, we could be a better team year on year and still get relegate in 5 years time!!!

What is a fact is that you are making excuses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here