Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Selling your seat at The Amex

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Agreed.

Is anyone else getting the feeling that the BEST way to ensure that fans' interests are looked after would be for MOST tickets to be available on a match-by-match basis? Just like they were at the Goldstone. Or just like they still are at MOST football clubs in the country - even middling Premier League clubs have tickets for most home games that go on general sale.

In other words, wouldn't it be better if season tickets failed to sell out and our "friends and family" who only want to attend a few games had a realistic chance of getting a ticket for the games they wanted to go to?

Yes, it would be much better, and this point got a bit lost in some of the almost macho 'we'll get 19,000 season tickets' nonsense.

You look at clubs where the balance between keeping everyone happy, and keeping revenues high, are about right and I'm guessing maybe around 50 per cent of capacity on season tickets wouldn't be far out.

Again, from the club's point of view, having to process selling 9,000 individual tickets per match rather than season tickets incurs some costs, no question. But that's the trade-off, over a season there are benefits, it is fairer and frankly gets more potential long-term Albion fans through the gate and getting a taster.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
That all makes good sense. As long as the games I can't get to, I can give my ticket to someone else that's all I am interested in. I would never expect to be able to choose who got my season ticket if I ever stopped renewing so I see no reason to £495 for the priviledge. I would be surprised if they got many takers at all for a PSL for that price

I can see plenty of takers but it's a gamble.Reach the premiership with our low capacity and your seat will be gold dust.

Anyway i'm not going to buy the PSL thingy but if we are promoted then do i still get that option as we are only one division away from top flight?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I realise this, and I know the club, when it comes down to it, is a business that needs to operate profitably.

At the moment, however, I just feel like it's one money making opportunity after another. Private boxes- if you can't afford that, here's the 1901 Club. Can't afford that? Here's a new way to get your cash! It's the PSL! What's next? Hey, for you absolute peasants, how about a lump of concrete with your name on? Anything else in the pipeline?

Yes, I appreciate that ultimately if I don't want to pay, then I can say no, but then the club knows that I (and the rest of us) won't because I've been going for years and that's not going to change now. It seems to me that they're capitalising on the excitement caused by the new stadium to generate a fear of missing out, that if you don't spend money on this or that, you will be somehow disadvantaged or at risk of losing out by comparison to others. They're also saying "but look at the great facilities" to justify some of the high prices on offer, ignoring the fact that we've all being paying WAY over the odds for diametrically opposite (in quality) facilities for the past twelve years, with no comparable discount there. If I want a seat in the equivalent position to my current Withdean seat, it's going to cost me about £150 more per season, without any PSL or other charges. So I'll probably move on to one of the cheaper areas, with all the other "less valuable" supporters.

I know this is probably a bit moany, given where we're going in comparison to where we've come from. But I just don't want this club to turn into yet another faceless machine, or to create a situation where a sort of supporter apartheid operates, and some fans are valued more than others simply because when the new stadium opens they happen to have the cash to hand. And I'm kind of starting to resent all these mailings urging me to splash out even more for various reasons, "just in case", because if I don't, something mysterious *might* happen to my seat at some unspecified and distant point in the future.

Some of your posting on here is a delight to read.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes, it would be much better, and this point got a bit lost in some of the almost macho 'we'll get 19,000 season tickets' nonsense.

You look at clubs where the balance between keeping everyone happy, and keeping revenues high, are about right and I'm guessing maybe around 50 per cent of capacity on season tickets wouldn't be far out.

Again, from the club's point of view, having to process selling 9,000 individual tickets per match rather than season tickets incurs some costs, no question. But that's the trade-off, over a season there are benefits, it is fairer and frankly gets more potential long-term Albion fans through the gate and getting a taster.

True, but for the first season, the stampede will ensure this won't happen.

Once things settle down and the number of STHs finds its level, and will probably be lower than for the first season, then the scenario you suggest is more likely to be played out.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I can see plenty of takers but it's a gamble.Reach the premiership with our low capacity and your seat will be gold dust.

Anyway i'm not going to buy the PSL thingy but if we are promoted then do i still get that option as we are only one division away from top flight?

But I don't see any benefit whatsoever. If we get to the Premiership then how many will be wanting to give up their season ticket?

I think there's been a HUGE exaggeration of the potential season ticket sales that will flow from the "+3" offer. Roz and I will renew season tickets. Between us, we will probably manage to find just one person genuinely prepared to stump up the fee for a season ticket as part of the two "+3" opportunities that we have. And he won't be coming to every game at Falmer - when he can't go, he'll be passing on his ticket to a mate or another family member.

If the Club were to make it EASY to sell on unwanted tickets through a well organised ticket exchange, we might consider getting two "+3" tickets. But the PSL announcement indicates that they obviously don't intend to operate a simple, cheap ticket exchange system. So they've lost the opportunity to get me interested in persuading another family member to come in on the "+3" offer.

Poor marketing? Or am I just whinging?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Once things settle down and the number of STHs finds its level, and will probably be lower than for the first season, then the scenario you suggest is more likely to be played out.

If it settles down.Who knows with Poyet in charge and maybe promotion.Selling 15'000 season tickets won't be hard i feel while things are looking good on the pitch.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

The club can do what they like though, they can manage the 'stampede'. Just cap STs at 10/12,000, whatever, for the reasons stated above. They can do it. Doesn't sound like they will, but they could.

It's not as if everyone interested in a ST wouldn't come at all if they didn't get one. I actually think there would be more of a buzz generated by having 7,000 tickets available every game than 1,000 (which will unquestionably piss a lot of people off).

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
But I don't see any benefit whatsoever. If we get to the Premiership then how many will be wanting to give up their season ticket?

Some people will be priced out? I'm sure premiership prices will go through the roof.

You will always get people who will like the idea of owning that seat for life.But as you say it's pointless as you are buying your season ticket over again.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The club can do what they like though, they can manage the 'stampede'. Just cap STs at 10/12,000, whatever, for the reasons stated above. They can do it. Doesn't sound like they will, but they could.

It's not as if everyone interested in a ST wouldn't come at all if they didn't get one. I actually think there would be more of a buzz generated by having 7,000 tickets available every game than 1,000 (which will unquestionably piss a lot of people off).

Why cap it? The club stands to lose money if things take a turn for the worse.

If you have 7000 tickets avaible on the day to sell then are you likely to sell of of them for a match like Brighton vs Scunthorpe/Preston etc and we are struggling? I don't blame the club for cashing in.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Some people will be priced out? I'm sure premiership prices will go through the roof.

You will always get people who will like the idea of owning that seat for life.But as you say it's pointless as you are buying your season ticket over again.

True, hadn't thought about the increase in ticket cost depending on which league we're in. But again, is it worth nearly £500 just to be able to nominate who your ticket goes to? And what if none of your family/friends can afford premiership prices either, just seems an incredible waste of cash to me with so many what if's involved.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I think capping it at 10,000 (for the first season) would result in an almighty binfest.

As it is, they're capping it at 15,800 (of which around 2,000 or so 1901s have already been taken up), so 4,200 or so will be available to home supporters each match, but I take your point.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

The club can't risk leaving that many seats free for general sale and possibly having empty seats, if they have people who are willing to stump up the cash in advance for a season ticket.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
......I have an uncomfortable feeling that the advent of Falmer is the start of us being sucked into the corporate machine, the point where we cease to become supporters but are instead viewed as little more than an unwavering income stream, to be tapped as much as possible. Give us more money and we welcome you...be an "ordinary" ticket holder and you will be treated very differently.

Hope I'm wrong.

I think the key to increasing revenue is to get us on the monthly direct debit agreement. Once we're all signed-up I can see a few money spinners coming along....

- Lounge access. For an additional £xx per month get access to a special lounge where you can meet your friends, have a meal, get a pre-ordered half-time drink, meet players after the match, etc.

- Priority parking - beat the park & ride queues, get a priority bus to/from the P&R - for only an additional £xx per month.

- pre-order your programme - Don't be disappointed if the programme sells out. For only £x per month always be sure that there will be a programme ready for you when you arrive.

I'm sure that's enough for them to be thinking about - if they aren't already several pages ahead.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

So, as I see it - if I don't get a ST (which I won't, although I had one for Gillingham and the first 7 years at Withers), if there are 1,000 on general sale and they go - I don't get to go to a game.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think there's been a HUGE exaggeration of the potential season ticket sales that will flow from the "+3" offer. Roz and I will renew season tickets. Between us, we will probably manage to find just one person genuinely prepared to stump up the fee for a season ticket as part of the two "+3" opportunities that we have. And he won't be coming to every game at Falmer - when he can't go, he'll be passing on his ticket to a mate or another family member.

If the Club were to make it EASY to sell on unwanted tickets through a well organised ticket exchange, we might consider getting two "+3" tickets. But the PSL announcement indicates that they obviously don't intend to operate a simple, cheap ticket exchange system. So they've lost the opportunity to get me interested in persuading another family member to come in on the "+3" offer.

Poor marketing? Or am I just whinging?

Perhaps it's me misunderstanding this, but I read it that PSLs and single match ticket transfers are two separate issues.

I think capping it at 10,000 (for the first season) would result in an almighty binfest.

As it is, they're capping it at 15,800 (of which around 2,000 or so 1901s have already been taken up), so 4,200 or so will be available to home supporters each match, but I take your point.
They've certainly avoided the binfest. But I'm yet to be convinced that they have found a way of actually selling more than 10,000 season tickets. There might be 10,000 home tickets available for each game.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The club can't risk leaving that many seats free for general sale and possibly having empty seats, if they have people who are willing to stump up the cash in advance for a season ticket.

I think the point that's being made is that what happens when STHs don't turn up for an individual match; what happens then?

The club has said it will tolerate (face it, they mean 'allow') like-for-like transfers. It's what happens when you don't have someone to hand your ticket/swipe card to. Is there going to be a ticket exchange etc.?

I'm not sure the PSL covers this anyway.

Perhaps it's me misunderstanding this, but I read it that PSLs and single match ticket transfers are two separate issues.
They're separate issues. But it's the apparent absence of a cheap and simple ticket exchange system, run by the Club, that is deterring me from persuading another family member to come in on the "+3" season ticket offer.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I think the point that's being made is that what happens when STHs don't turn up for an individual match; what happens then?

The club has said it will tolerate (face it, they mean 'allow') like-for-like transfers. It's what happens when you don't have someone to hand your ticket/swipe card to. Is there going to be a ticket exchange etc.?

I'm not sure the PSL covers this anyway.

But that's no different to what we have now is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here