Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Season Ticket Farce @PaulBarber

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I see PB using "Premier League rules" of having the named ticket holder as the bearer, yet other clubs get around this by allowing their season ticket holders to name the person, or a list of persons, that they will potentially share the ticket with. Whether you think the club is right or wrong on this issue, it is clearly unpopular with many, and other clubs are able to do what PB says no PL club can do. In fact, we actually do what he says we can't, he just wants cash to do it, which is fair enough, but don't pretend it isn't about money, I could share my ticket with a different person each game, so long as the cash is forthcoming.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
You really think the club are taking advantage of you? Next time your at the Amex, take a good look around, at the ground, the view, the concourse inside and out and then close your eyes and try and remember the shithole that was the Goldstone complete with it's pitch side fencing, decaying concrete, closed sections, piss poor catering and pissing up against a brick wall.

So you can't have a bottle top with your drink, pretty much universal at all football grounds and you can't, against the T & Cs, give your ticket to any Tom Dick or Harriet. Can't take a flask with you, again, pretty much every entertainment venue isn't going to allow flasks in.

If you buy a season ticket I assume it's on the assumption the purchaser is intending to go to the majority of games but judging by this thread you'd think otherwise!
The Goldstone was never a shithole.
It will never will be untill my dying day.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Discounted prices for STH is a favour by the club as is interest free payments which most clubs don't do. If you work it out, having a season ticket means you can probably miss about 6 games before the cost exceeds matchday prices..

Bulk buying discounts are common for most products and services though. If I buy a 2 litre bottle of milk it’s cheaper than 2 x 1 litre bottles.

How many fans can make it to 19 home matches given the Russian Roulette of kick off times is an interesting question though.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I loved the Goldstone. Not sure you could climb the Amex from one tier to the next.... or take a lumps of turf home with you. The rush of the...the chants of "Barry Who" ....a seagulls hiden behind the goalpost....the boys from Worthing and Eastbourne outdoing the left and right side (why did Hove never get a look in?)....cash through the turnstiles....fights and running across Hove pk....pee against a brick wall....Liverpool into extra time....mounted police against Crawley....hope that next to your painted 'seat' in the south stand wasnt a fat @rse......simple knitted blue and white Dr Who scarves....the chicken run....7 goals in the second half after a dull goaless opening half and relief you hadn't left on 45mins....Millwall in the Northstand and fists flying everywhere....Warboys and Banister and 10 goals....halftime scores walked around the ground on a 'for sale' board and an opportunity to throw some light hearted banter or abuse at the ole man....fulltime scores shortly afterwards in the final edition of the Argus....a place your could build a bonfire...a place to meet your mates and decide on spur of moment to watch a match (non of this corporate cr@p )...chat with Liam Brady about anything and everything....he shot he scored from the England player....fans sang even when losing....where else does a player score 4 goals on a debut? (has anyone waded in since?)....come on what was there not to like?

Goldstone ground. A proper football ground for working class men not like these all the same souless PL grounds. Give me the Goldstone any day.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I loved the Goldstone. Not sure you could climb the Amex from one tier to the next.... or take a lumps of turf home with you. The rush of the...the chants of "Barry Who" ....a seagulls hiden behind the goalpost....the boys from Worthing and Eastbourne outdoing the left and right side (why did Hove never get a look in?)....cash through the turnstiles....fights and running across Hove pk....pee against a brick wall....Liverpool into extra time....mounted police against Crawley....hope that next to your painted 'seat' in the south stand wasnt a fat @rse......simple knitted blue and white Dr Who scarves....the chicken run....7 goals in the second half after a dull goaless opening half and relief you hadn't left on 45mins....Millwall in the Northstand and fists flying everywhere....Warboys and Banister and 10 goals....halftime scores walked around the ground on a 'for sale' board and an opportunity to throw some light hearted banter or abuse at the ole man....fulltime scores shortly afterwards in the final edition of the Argus....a place your could build a bonfire...a place to meet your mates and decide on spur of moment to watch a match (non of this corporate cr@p )...chat with Liam Brady about anything and everything....he shot he scored from the England player....fans sang even when losing....where else does a player score 4 goals on a debut? (has anyone waded in since?)....come on what was there not to like?

Goldstone ground. A proper football ground for working class men not like these all the same souless PL grounds. Give me the Goldstone any day.

Evening games seeing floodlit pylons from miles away, going down The Shoreham Road, swaying crowds on the terraces, the old low roofed North Stand up to the 70’s, with its dark mysteries at the back (for a kid in awe), an urban site with pubs close to hand, crowds charging under the Conway Street tunnel or over the railway walkway, crowds converging from 360, bumping into and chatting with your player heroes.

Pretty sure I couldn’t be arsed to stand all game now, but those days live in my memory forever, my son will never experience it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bulk buying discounts are common for most products and services though. If I buy a 2 litre bottle of milk it’s cheaper than 2 x 1 litre bottles.

How many fans can make it to 19 home matches given the Russian Roulette of kick off times is an interesting question though.

You're an accountant, if you give people a reduced price to go to more games are you not discounting the cost to them?

And as you say, bulk buying 'discounts' are common, just because there are loads of them doesn't stop them being discounts.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Beautiful stuff! And you capture exactly what's missing. Well done sir!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I have got the new version of the ST card, it was easy to apply for and there was no extra cost.
I guess you didn’t know about this last summer.

Interesting. How did you get it? Tell them you didn't have a smart phone?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Interesting. How did you get it? Tell them you didn't have a smart phone?

There was a club email in the summer about the season tickets on phones, the details about the card were at the bottom.
Yes the card was for people without a smart phone or maybe issues with eyesight I guess, I have to wear reading glasses to look at my phone but don’t need glasses for anything else.

The new card has my photo on.

I do actually have a smart phone but I mostly use it for work and like to switch it off at the weekend, I thought the card was an easy option for me rather than mess about with a phone at the turnstiles.
I understand many people that have a phone permanently glued to their hand find having a ST on their phone an advantage.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
You really think the club are taking advantage of you? Next time your at the Amex, take a good look around, at the ground, the view, the concourse inside and out and then close your eyes and try and remember the shithole that was the Goldstone complete with it's pitch side fencing, decaying concrete, closed sections, piss poor catering and pissing up against a brick wall!

I love the Amex, but you’re being more than a little unfair to the Goldstone. If we had been able to stay there, it would have been considerably upgraded by now. In fact, a Goldstone improved by investment from TB ( not to mention all the money we wouldn’t: have had to shell out to fight public enquiries) might be an impressive place to watch football. A rebuilt full-length West Stand, a huge South Stand taking advantage of the land that became available since we left ... plus more people could walk to it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I love the Amex, but you’re being more than a little unfair to the Goldstone. If we had been able to stay there, it would have been considerably upgraded by now. In fact, a Goldstone improved by investment from TB ( not to mention all the money we wouldn’t: have had to shell out to fight public enquiries) might be an impressive place to watch football. A rebuilt full-length West Stand, a huge South Stand taking advantage of the land that became available since we left ... plus more people could walk to it.

Just so long as nobody ever looks at the East Stand

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here